New
Find
Notify
Tools

1 hector = how many acres?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just like to get the idea on the size of some of these safaris. How many acres to a hector or vice versus? Thank you

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a hector = 2.4 acres.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you spell it right it would be better. A hectare = 2.471 acres Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
1 hector = 0.4047 achilles

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
1 hector = 0.4047 achilles

So one Achilles = almost 2.5 Hectors? Is that before or after friction losses?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Should be 1 Hector = 5 Achilles. Achilles was an arrogant slob. Hector got screwed by the Gods IMHO.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Stop hectoring the guy.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13522 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
1 x hectare = 2.471044 acre

1 x acre = 0.4046863 hectare

Just to blow your mind ....

Kafue National Park in Zambia / one of the worlds (Largest Game Parks) is 22,500 square kms

Which equates to: 2,250,000 hectare ... THAT'S BIG MAN ... Eeker

Kruger National Park in South Africa is about 2 million hectare

The (Great Limpopo Transfrontier Park) will link the Limpopo National Park in Mozambique, Kruger National Park in South Africa, Gonarezhou National Park, Manjinji Pan Sanctuary and Malipati Safari Area in Zimbabwe, as well as two areas between Kruger and Gonarezhou, namely the Sengwe communal land in Zimbabwe and the Makuleke region in South Africa.

The total surface area of the transfrontier park will be approximately 35,000 km2. The establishment of the Transfrontier Park is the first phase of creating a bigger transfrontier conservation area measuring a staggering 100,000 km2.

It is not officially open yet because of POLITICAL wrangling betwen the proponents, whats new in Africa ( ha ha )

Have great day

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Achilles was an arrogant slob.

So you're saying he was a real heel?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Achilles was an arrogant slob.

So you're saying he was a real heel?

I don't think he had a sole either!

-Bob F. Big Grin

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Didn't Achilles de-feet Hector? Smiler

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy crap...what a ride!"

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
"Didn't Achilles de-feet Hector?"

Not sure, but one should assume they must have been ARCH enemies. And when confronted by a situation like that, a man sometimes has to TOE the line.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balla Balla:
Kafue National Park in Zambia / one of the worlds (Largest Game Parks) is 22,500 square kms

Which equates to: 2,250,000 hectare ... THAT'S BIG MAN ... Eeker

Peter,

Agreed...Africa is pretty damn big but even in North America there are some pretty remote places. My outfitter in The Yukon Territory, for example, has a concession totaling 10,000 square miles which is (if I have done my calculations correctly) 25,899 square kilometers or 2,589,900 hectares of beautiful huntable forests! Man, I would love to have either of our examples as my personal hunting area wouldn't you!

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
"Didn't Achilles de-feet Hector?"

No, he got hamstringed along the way.

RC

Repeal the Hughes Amendment.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
roflmao

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Poor Bayou!

By the way we aren't taking the mickey out of you just having fun in general.

Achilles cut the hamstrings of Hector and dragged his body behind his chariot several times around the city of Troy and also each evening following hoping to despoil the body. As revenge for Hector slaying his friend and comrade Patrocles (splg?). He also cruelly cut the body with knives.

However the goddess Aphrodite breathed living Ambrosia into the body of Hector preserving the body from wasting until Priam the King of Illium in person ransomed the body and appealed to Achilles to let him have the body for formal burial at which Achilles relented and forget his rage.

Achilles was a real "heel" for sure!

quote:
Should be 1 Hector = 5 Achilles. Achilles was an arrogant slob. Hector got screwed by the Gods IMHO.
Peter.

Of course if you are talking about the silly movie you are 100% right. Aussie Eric Bana played Hector while silly Brad Pitt played Achilles.

Sorry to everyone for being off-topic but I have a tradition of listening to the "Illiad" every year while basket pressing red wine. beer

John H.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry to everyone for being off-topic but I have a tradition of listening to the "Illiad" every year while basket pressing red wine.

An enjoyable read, except perhaps for the blasted chapter telling how many ships each city-state sent. I much prefer it to the story of how Odysseus kept getting lost on his way home, although the PBS "Wishbone" version of that one was ok.

one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
So:
1acre = 1 "Tunnland"? jump

("Tunnland" was widely used in Sweden before we started to use the French measurement system thumbdown

Husky

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As revenge for Hector slaying his friend and comrade Patrocles (splg?). He also cruelly cut the body with knives.

Wasn't Patrocles more than just a "friend" or "Comrade?" I recall in my translation of the "Iliad" that Homer used the word "lover..."

Posts: 36 | Location: Fairfax County, Virginia | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Confused Now, can one of you Einsteins tell me what the measurement in feet, is for each side of a perfectly square acre? Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clark7781:
quote:
As revenge for Hector slaying his friend and comrade Patrocles (splg?). He also cruelly cut the body with knives.

Wasn't Patrocles more than just a "friend" or "Comrade?" I recall in my translation of the "Iliad" that Homer used the word "lover..."

Clark there are a couple of guys here that are more versed in that particular area then the rest of us. Stick around a while and you'll find out who I mean Smiler Smiler

Posts: 584 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Confused Now, can one of you Einsteins tell me what the measurement in feet, is for each side of a perfectly square acre? Big Grin

43,560 square feet in an acre.

Square root of 43,560 = 208.71032 feet

So, a perfectly square acre will have 4 equal sides of 208.71032 feet (or about 69.57 yards). So an acre is about 70 yards on each of the four sides.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
208.710325571 feet per side is my guess

Posts: 36 | Location: Fairfax County, Virginia | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Clark there are a couple of guys here that are more versed in that particular area then the rest of us. Stick around a while and you'll find out who I mean

I've been on NitroExpress.com for awhile and based upon my experience there, I have a few suspects in mine... ;-)

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
So,what we are saying here is that there are 258.99 Hectares in a section?

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clark,
hahahaha roflmao

I hear ya!!

Posts: 584 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
If that were so, then the section would measure 320 rods per side?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the University of North Carolina: "a unit of area used for measuring real estate in English-speaking countries. "Acre," an Old English word meaning a field, is derived from the Latin ager and Greek agros, also meaning a field. The acre was originally defined as the area that could be plowed in a day by a yoke of oxen. It was in use in England at least as early as the eighth century, and by the end of the ninth century it was generally understood to be the area of a field one furlong (40 rods or 10 chains) long by 4 rods (or 1 chain) wide. Thus an acre is 10 square chains, 160 square rods, 43 560 square feet or 4840 square yards. There are exactly 640 acres in a square mile. In metric countries the unit corresponding to the acre is the hectare, which is 10,000 square meters (the area of a square 100 meters on each side). One acre is equal to 0.404 687 3 hectare. Among traditional European land area units, the acre is typical in being defined as a day's work but unusual in not being visualized as the area of a square. Similar units include the French journal, north German and Dutch morgen, south German and Swiss juchart, Austrian joch, and Czech jitro."

one of us
posted Hide Post
Boy Clark, you sure know how to end a discussion. Now, about Petrocles...
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a few suspects in mine... ;-)

In your what? ICK !

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't fret Bayou, you'll get used to this flim-flammery after a while...

Just try to remember

TIME WOUNDS ALL HEELS Big Grin

Damn boys, I wish you had posted this earlier.I just had to buy 87,122 feet of fencing to enclose my acre...

How could this have happened????????

Elmo

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.onlineconversion.com/ Smiler

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnTheGreek:
quote:
I have a few suspects in mine... ;-)

In your what? ICK !

JohnTheGreek

JTG

Very droll. thumb Big Grin

Poor old Troll Caramello. bawling

Clark

I translation I listen too, as it is an audio book, doesn't use the word "lover". But with his incessant moanings and rage you have got to suspect it.

BTW as for listening to stories, while I enjoy reading them as well, as Denys Finch-Hatton said "stories were meant to be listened to" in "Out of Africa" referring to Karen Blixen, a master story teller and writer.

John H.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A Gunters Chain of 100 links = 4 rods or 66 ft.. 80 chains = 1 mile.. 1 furlong = 10 chains.. 10square chains = 1 acre It's all very clear ! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

JTG

Very droll. thumb Big Grin

Poor old Troll Caramello. bawling

Clark

I translation I listen too, as it is an audio book, doesn't use the word "lover". But with his incessant moanings and rage you have got to suspect it.

Hey Nitro, the way you incessantly seem to mention me in so many of your posts one must wonder about you as well.............
Get those dirty thoughts out of your mind. I'm not interested in your "alternative Lifestyle choices" Confused

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Caramello

Old Troll Mate.

I won't go into your slander and insults except to say I believe in face to face meetings one day for this sort of thing. Trolls are generally cowards and run and hide in the security of the internet.

Also insulting the membership of my forums in this way isn't wise (as you have tried to do in your post above) and a large number of them are joint members on AR. You are already unpopular for your past misdeeds and chaos and you are falling back into your old ways, Old Troll.

Good Old Troll stuff, how to turn a pleasant, humorous and fun thread into something disagreeable and nasty.

What lies did you tell to get back into AR anyway? Wink

No one wants to talk about you, and no one wants another thread to become a "hey I'm Carmello, look at me" thread. So please don't try.

WorldTroll.com pretty slow nowadays, hey?! Wink

Bye.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dude,
A/R has over 13173 members.

Why is it that only you and two or three others of your little clique of "Good Buddies" seems to mention my name.
It's only you guys. No one else here does it.
NO ONE BUT YOU.
Your infatuation with me is {un-natural} I suggest you consult with your priest or whomever is a personal confidant and find some absolution. As for face to face meetings haha
I've shown up and faced quite a few members from AR all of which are good people. I didn't see you there. {talk is cheap}
Now run along like a good little boy, go play with your Big-Bore and do your little fantasy role playing with your 3 buddies and simply ignore me.

Apparantly Cordite isn't the only thing you love the smell of in the morning jump

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carmelolisciotto:
Dude,
A/R has over 13173 members.

Why is it that only you and two or three others of your little clique of "Good Buddies" seems to mention my name.
It's only you guys. No one else here does it.
NO ONE BUT YOU.
Your infatuation with me is {un-natural} I suggest you consult with your priest or whomever is a personal confidant and find some absolution. As for face to face meetings haha
I've shown up and faced quite a few members from AR all of which are good people. I didn't see you there. Now run along like a good little boy, go play with your Big-Bore and do your little fantasy role playing with your 3 buddies and simply ignore me.

Apparantly Cordite isn't the only thing you love the smell of in the morning jump

No one wants to talk about you, and no one wants another thread to become a "hey I'm Carmello, look at me" thread. So please don't try.

Another attempt.

Bye.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Where is that "ignore" function when you really need it?

It was a pleasure though, revisiting the "chain" and "rod" - it's been a very long time since I used them to measure the tobacco fields in Kentucky! Thank you all for the very educational thread.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted Hide Post
Back on Thread now!
1 hectare = 2.4710538 acre.
1 hectare = 2.9899751 acre [commercial].
1 hectare = 2.4710439 acre [survey].
1 hectare = 2.2 acre (ranch owner-last trip over).

With all these different numbers one had best consult their realtor before purchasing their game ranch.

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote