New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 375 loads for Giraffe
 Login/Join

<allen day>
posted
You don't need soilds for giraffe. You just need a good 300 gr. soft point. I used a 300 gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw in my .375 H&H on a very big, old bull giraffe. A frontal chest shot from about 100 yds. through the heart put him on the ground very quickly, without fuss.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a couple of giraffes before. One was shot with 400 grs Speer AGS solids at 2800 f/s from my 416 Wby - it took 6 bodyshots (all well placed) Only one bullet recovered from a lengthwise shot all other exited (even 2 more lengthwise shots...)
This year I took another giraffe for lionbait. It was another huge stinkbull. It took one shot from my 416 Wby - this time loaded with a monolithic hollowpoint bullet similar to GS customs HV bullets. 300 grs and 3200 f/s.
Bullet shot into him on his shoulder angled a bit forward and recovered in the skin on the other side. I took another shot post mortem with the same bullet/vel. combination and also this bullet was recovered in the opposite side skin.
Both bullets broke heavy bones. (So the giraffes are good bullet traps, because the same combo penetrated 2 buffalo lengthwise and exited...)

Posts: 186 | Location: 9750 Honningsvaag, Norway | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike

30-06 for head shots or - more correctly where the neck and head join works just great. For body shots - not a chance. Will use 7.62 on elephant for lung shots well before I try it on giraffe. Skin and bones too thick.

Any decent soft point in .375 cal is fine, and X bullets are great. I think Namibia prohibits the use of solids on all game except elephant - check with your PH.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, Vaughan told me the same thing. The thing I find interesting here is one poster said Swift Aframes. This is what Vaughan wants me to bring for the cats both Leopard and Lion in my 338 because of the thin skin and quick expansion of that bullet. I am also taking my 375 and I think I will use it on the Giraffe just to draw first blood with it. The only rounds I am taking for it are Xs and solids. And I plan to use the Xs.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Vaughan speaks highly of both the Swift A-Frames, and the Barnes TSX.

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Just to give you an idea of how thick their skin is.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote