New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who has hunted in Chete
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I will be hunting in Chete from Oct 1st through the 10th and I have some questions about the terrain, the thickness of the brush and what kind of heat I can expect.

Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks,

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Who are you hunting with Smiler

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I hunted in Chete in October 2001. The area is fairly hilly. Most parts are rough and rocky, with typical mixed mopane woodland areas and thick jesse along the rivers. The hunting late in the year can be excellent due to the heat and dry conditions forcing the game to come to the springs that dot the concession. You'll likely see plenty of buffalo and elephant. Plainsgame is thinner, but I shot an excellent kudu there as well as duiker, klipspringer and grysbok, which are excellent there. Expect temps up to 120 degrees - hot enough to make your ears ring. It will be pushing 100 by 10:00 AM. Saeed hunted Chete many times with the Vincents and could tell you more. I think it is an excellent area if you are prepared to walk and really hunt and I wouldn't hesitate to go back at that time of year.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
JPK,

We have hunted Chete 5 years in a row, and had a fantastic time hunting there.

It is a bit of a rough area, so one has to walk quite a lot.

The heat can be very oppressive sometimes. I remember on occasions us not being able to sleep at night because of the heat. We used to have a quick dip in the pool, then go back to bed still wet.

The camp is in a great location as well.

Chete was the best hunting area I have hunted.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David W,

Thanks for the info.

BFaucett,

I am hunting three tuskless with Buzz Charlton in Chete after a Sept 14 though 29 safari with Roger Whittall Safaris, which will start in Chewore and finish at Humani. That hunt will target four or five tuskless, A buff, leopard, a better Southern bushbuck, a warthog and an nyala.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OOPS,

scratch BFaucett for JBoutFisn.

JPK

Free 500grains

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Thank You for you very experienced input!

I am targeting thre tuskless but since it is a late season hunt I wonder what else may crop up. I'll be open for other great opportunities after the three tuskless are acounted for - assuming my feet are up to it!

JPK

Free 500grains

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The heat can be very oppressive sometimes. I remember on occasions us not being able to sleep at night because of the heat. We used to have a quick dip in the pool, then go back to bed still wet.

If a native of the UAE tells you someplace is oppressively hot.... LISTEN.

Posts: 297 | Location: Bainbridge Island,WA | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chete is a darn good hunting area, but the roads are about as rough as anywhere I have been, and it is hot. If you get the the chance to hunt there, go for it!

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dbltp,

I have hunted the Zmbezi Valley and Southern Zim as late as Oct 23. I understand the heat, but as an East Coast guy, used to 95/95, degrees and humidity, I found the Oct dry heat in Zim very tolerable at its worst.

We all get used to our AC, and the heat here near DC will hit you in the gut when you walk outside at 95/95. I hope it is no worse than I have experienced in Zim in Oct.

JPK

Free 500grains

one of us
posted Hide Post
RBHunt,

Thanks for your reply.

JPK

Free 500grains

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
David W,

Thanks for the info.

BFaucett,

I am hunting three tuskless with Buzz Charlton in Chete after a Sept 14 though 29 safari with Roger Whittall Safaris, which will start in Chewore and finish at Humani. That hunt will target four or five tuskless, A buff, leopard, a better Southern bushbuck, a warthog and an nyala

JPK

There is no nyala in Chete.

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

My post was confusing, even to me when I reread it.

I will be hunting Chete with Buzz Charlton from Oct 1 through 10. We have booked three tuskless elephants. I hope some other game may be available, perhaps at a discount, or just for the trophy fee, since this is a late season hunt and there should be some unfilled quota available.

Prior to my hunt with Buzz, I will be hunting from Sept 14 through 29 with Richard Tabor of Roger Whittall Safaris. This hunt is for two tuskless elephants and a buff in Chewore, followed by a move to Humani for two, or perhaps three tuskless, a late season crack at a leopard, a Southern bushbuck better than the one I shot in '05, a warthog and an nyala.

The buff in Chewore and the nyala at Humani are not 100% confirmed but should be when Roger gets back home. I may end up hunting for the leopard in both Chewore and Humani.

When you hunted in Chete, was it hot but dry or was the humidity high as well? What time of the year were you there?

Thanks,

JPK

Free 500grains

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We always hunted Chete in October, and was always very hot.

We shot a buffalo once, and Roy had to go get the truck, leaving me and two others by the buffalo. It was just after midday, and there was no wind at all, and no shade.

We scattered to find smalls tree we could hide our faces from the sun in the the shade of its slim trunk, which was about 6 inches thick.

Each of us was about 100-1500 yards from each other, with his head against a mopane trunk!

When the truck got to us, and we had a drink of water, and started talking anout that great buffalo hunt. Walter looked at us and said "you are ALL mad!"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JPK

I hunted Chete for 5 days in December 2003 for tuskless. We saw five tuskless cows but all had very very small calves with them. Apparently they calved in late November. Chete does have a very good population of tuskless. I also saw quite a few klipys and impala there. Saw what was with out a doubt the largest impala I have ever seen but couldn't get a shot. Try fishing for bottlenose off the rocks in front of camp at night. Also some very big crocs there. Although I was there in December, I don't remember the heat being all that bad.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
465, Saeed,

Thanks for your answers.

I have not shot a klipspringer and assuming the tuskless hunting goes well, I would love to hunt for one.

JPK

Free 500grains

one of us
posted Hide Post

I meant to ask, what are bottlenose?

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are a fish found in Lake Kariba. They have a bottle nose like a dolphin. All you need is a worm and a hook. We fished at night.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote