THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    The African hunting experience vs North American experience ?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The African hunting experience vs North American experience ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
/

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I am afraid I can't compare between the two but I do agree that the best part of my safaris in Africa has been the informative, educational aspect of spending time in the field with people who know what is going on around them and capable of bringing it your attention in an enlightening way. Now, it may be that there are bad PH's in Africa too, but I have been lucky and both PH's I hunted with were good teachers, pleasant company and interested in giving their knowledge to me.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
ALF, my experience has unfortunately been the same as yours. If they were inclined to learn anything, NA hunting guides could learn a lot from their African counterparts.

But please tell us, did you get your cat?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Alf,

Can I ask how this type of hunt compares in price to an African hunt of the same sort of duration?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been on several guided hunts in NA and one in RSA.

Both have been great, with one semi-dud hunt in Alaska.

My thoughts -

NA :
- You have to really check out things in NA. You can easily go on an expensive crap hunt.
- You have to research areas, seasons, topography in NA. You can hunt an animal successfully in a manner you do not care for.
- Fenced hunts are rampant, but easily spotted.
- Single species hunt - be prepared to go home empty handed. Weather can ruin any hunt.
- Some "guides" in NA will not have an experience over you. Alot are part time and it is not their profession.
- The best guided hunts in NA are like hunting with a buddy. You are an active part of your hunt.

Africa
- My one complaint in Africa is that I sometimes felt as a shooter. The PH has total control. I had to assert myself to be an active part of the hunt. I want to learn while I hunt and be part of the decisions, not just collect.
-Alot of the conversation was in a foreign language and not translated or relayed in English. Felt left out of decisions and some conversations in Afrikaans.
- It should be made clear upfront if you are hunting fenced or not and the size of the acreage. We drove by some parts of RSA that had more small patches of fenced land that were being hunted than I ever saw in Texas.

Alot of places I would love to hunt alone if it were legal!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Comparing an African hunting experience to one in North America is like comparing apples to oranges. It is an interesting mental exercise, but the two are vastly different. I have been on North American hunts where the guides did a whole lot of "interacting" with us clients and hunts where they did not. I am the type of person who takes people as they are, so I tend to get along with nearly every guide I have had. Sleeping in a tent pitched on the side of a mountain and slipping outside while you sleep is a much different thing than is an African bush camp or even the lodge accomodations or thatched roof cottages in RSA. You generally pay much more for it too.

Comparing staffing, on a North American hunt one usually has a guide. Occasionally there is a wrangler, and sometimes if you are staying in a more permanent camp, a cook. In Africa, the camp staff can run to dozens of people. I have spent a week in dirty underwear in North America. I take one change of clothing to Africa. A hot shower at the end of the day does wonders for morale that no dip in a glacial stream can. Guiding hunters is a rough way to make a living, and having to put up with some of the guys that I have met would make it even less of a pleasure. Usually, a western guide takes a day or two to get to know you.

I have now been on somewhat over forty hunting trips and have had a great time on nearly all of them. When I am hunting in North America I don't expect to see the huge numbers of animals one sees in Africa, and the hunting is actually more of a rewarding experience. In Africa, it can sometimes be more like a shooting expedition than a hunt. Now, having said that, I expect to return to Africa a few more times. I have come to like being treated like visiting royalty and not having to help with horses, gear, pitching camp, and cooking/dishwashing. Still, each hunt is an experience to be treasured no matter how rugged or civilized it is.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there are good and bad on both sides of the salty water. point and case what is commonly refered to as a PH on some game farms in SA is in no way what the term PH was founded on. same in the states a Master Guide at one time meant something but alas in some circles it doesn't mean crap anymore. Word of mouth (when you know the speaker) is the best way to research any company here or abroad. 100% success rates in brochures ..... think about it for a second what does that prove.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
My experience as a paying client on a guided hunt in North America is very limited (one hunt only), but I hunt out of the same camp where a number of guides and clients come though every year. There is a large volume of repeat business, the clients do not have to fight for food or drinks, all can get together at the end of the day to discuss the hunt, and the better guides can certainly share what they know about the natural history of the area.

I socialize with the guides because I know them, and the clients who do not want to stay inside and watch football are usually there as well.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:

... What we found out though was that the guides were of the opinion it's to late in the year, should have done this earlier in the season but then this was what was recommended to us by the outfitter. We were not given a choice in dates. Also a claim to past record of 100% success.

Our problem / dilemma ?

Another hornswoggle. This time no booking agent involved. The outfitter is the "horny" one.

I would reconsider that moose hunt if it is with the same horny toad outfitter. Kissing the toad again will not turn him into a prince.

Your pal got screwed, you got some nice scenery, fresh air and sunshine. Enjoy the vitamin D.

I guide myself hunting in NA, or go to a fenced shoot for meat.

Africa is definitely where it is at for the paying customer.

Hunt like a native and take your pal along for the ride next time. I am sure that with your intelligence and means, you will be able to outfit and research for some first class adventures. Moutain House dehydrated food and MRE's, North Face gear and Coleman Fuel, fly in and drop off: and an excellent time can be had by all.

Safari's By Alf, NA.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In general the names say it all. In NA you get a "Guide" and in Africa a "PH = Professional Hunter". The quality of the African PH is greatly influenced by how difficult it is to pass the PH proficiency test although there are no absolutes here. On average I think the quality of PHs in Zim is higher then in SA. I have no experience with other African countries. At least in Zim a bad PH soon gets a reputation and eventually finds another line of work. I hunted Coues deer in Sonora a couple of years ago with Kirk Kelso of Puchridge Outfitters and his mexican guides were excellent.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just returned from a guided Cougar hunt in BC and based now on two seperate guided hunts
( one in the USA and one in Canada ) some comments.

The African hunting experience is a far more gratifying experience than the North American one!

African PH's on the whole offer way more than just the experience of the kill itself.

The basis for this statement lies imo in the lack of professionalism on the side of NA guides.

Or am I being to critical / generalizing or did we simply have two dud hunts ?????

Client - guide social interaction is sadly lacking. There is more to hunting than just the taking of game, it is a whole learning experience of things new and things to see and experience.

One evening I asked one of the 5 guides we had in camp what it took to become a guide in BC and the answer short and sweet.... " you need to be 19 years old!"

No more no less and then the kicker " there are guide schools but they are for pussies ! "

That raised a collective eyebrow from my partner and I for maybe, just maybe going to a guide school as they have to do in African countries will teach these guys how to interact with clients.

They will teach them how to be a true guide, to teach and show the client some of the non hunting stuff of nature perculiar to the area you are hunting in.

Any takers ?

That is precisely why I save every dollar I can to hunt in Africa. I have been on several guided hunts in the US (10 - 5 in Wyoming, 1 in Colorado, 4 in Texas). I used guides to do the cooking, horse wrangling and supply knowledge of the area. I then went to Africa. None of my previous trips compare to Africa in terms of quality of guide/PH, food, beds, sanitation and fun. Plus, there are no horses to deal with or game wardens or other people on the "public land".

A large amount of NA hunting is drive by shooting - use a 4-wheeler or truck, drive around then shoot. Even stand hunting in Texas is not what it should be. Let's see - put out bait all year, cram if full of protein, put a high fence around the property, sit in a tree house, wait for the victim. Bang.... At one time, I thought that was hunting. My worst experience was sitting in a stand with my son on a deer hunt. We were hunting/shooting whitetails in central Texas. We were to be allowed to shoot any deer we saw. Big buck walks out, a real big one, and the guide says - "that one is an upgrade". I said - "What?". He says to shoot it but will cost another $2000. I protested but did not shoot to avoid a mess in front of my son. He shoots a different buck and never really notices the different deer. In Africa, I don't get charged to "upgrade".

My favorite story is what I witnessed -

We are hunting the King Ranch (I am entertaining customers), driving around until time to go to the blinds and wait for the feeders to go off. The "guide" says - "Watch this" and takes out a tape recorder. He taped the noise made by a feeder dispensing corn or deer cocaine. He plays this tape and we sit for about 5 minutes. We have about 10 to 12 does and couple of bucks come trotting up to the truck to see what was being handed out. Talk about Povlov's dogs. ....

Go to Africa.......

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
In general the names say it all. In NA you get a "Guide" and in Africa a "PH = Professional Hunter". The quality of the African PH is greatly influenced by how difficult it is to pass the PH proficiency test although there are no absolutes here. On average I think the quality of PHs in Zim is higher then in SA. 465H&H

I think what the above says is, the PH profession is a thing of pride,respected amoung his peers, while the GUIDE is a make-do job till something like baging groceries comes along! Roll Eyes

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are still some "guides" in North America that are comparable to good PHs in Africa. They are few and far between, however. Perhaps it is an oversimplification but there are some areas in NA that are remote enough that a sub-standard "guide" would actually be dangerous for clients. If one finds these areas run by reputable outfitters, you will find good guides.

JMHO,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
patrkyhntr:

You said it perfectly. How can we compare apples and oranges? My one and only trip to Africa (for buff) was a perfect success from beginning to end. My PH was a great coversationalist ( in the evening). I hunted with Canadian guides who were nearly as silent as the Sphinx. It never bothered me. In fact,I would have found it odd if they wanted to chatter like a jay. American and Canadian hunters are accustomed to keeping quiet in the woods. My African PH taught me the sign language he would use - so there really wasn't much difference between them.

I am puzzled about this talk of "professionalism" about guides in North America. It's an odd fact that I, an American, never hunted with a guide in the States - but I did in two provinces of Canada. Funny, but I never thought of them as "professionals". I thought of them as "woodsmen". In Africa, I thought of my PH as a BODYGUARD and of the trackers as the guys who would find game. ( In fairness to my own PH on my one and only trip, when I wounded a zebra in brushy country, it was he who picked up which way the zebra went and not the trackers. I remember still how he showed me a spot of blood on some leaves. I knew how to track a wounded whitetail (but always by looking at the ground for blood) and I was awed at how good my PH was)

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have taken one hunt to RSA and the trip was absolutely the best trip I have ever taken, not just from seeing animals, but from getting the whole experience. My PH translated stuff for me, and included me in converstations if he was talking to my trackers. I felt that I had movie star status, and that any thing I wanted, I basically could have. They really knew how to treat a client. Some could say that "they were kissing up to you for a better tip" Well maybe they were, but I didn't care, I had a good trip, and a great time.

In NA I have been on hunts for caribou, elk, mule deer, Hogs in TX, MT. Lion in NV, and a few trail rides and fly fishing trips.

Out of all of those trips, I can say one fly fishing trip the guide gave about 90 % of what my PH in africa gave. My Caribou trip was about 60 % of the african PH, the MT. Lion trip was around 70%, the mule deer trip was around 90%, The pig hunts about 70%, and the elk hunt was around 90%. The problem I am running into is that the outfitter I hunted mule deer with was killed in a car accident, and my elk hunting outfitter retired. They were both older outfitters and knew how to run a good camp and a great experience. Many new outfitters don't seem to "get it" on what clients really want. Many differ, but they all want to come back to a good hot meal, a clean camp, and a warm fire at the end of the day. With a good amount of socialization. Not bragging like you get from many guides, but good talk of past times and stories.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the difference noticed between NA guides and African PHs.

I found guides in NA to be seasonal workers for the most part. They have other full-time jobs or businesses, and just make guide money on the side. Even on my sheep hunt in the NWTs my guide spent a great part of each day on the cell phone with his wife or business partner trying to work through issues back home. He knew sheep, but I would have preferred that he put a little more interest into his effort.

The PH I used in Africa was excellent. He was guide / outfitter. He was focused totally on seeing that I got value for my money. I appreciated that.

I didn't find any other aspects of a NA / Africa hunt comparison much different.

Posts: 13860 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
From my experience I agree with those who feel African guides are much better at creating the whole experience then their NA counterparts.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnTheGreek:
There are still some "guides" in North America that are comparable to good PHs in Africa. They are few and far between, however. Perhaps it is an oversimplification but there are some areas in NA that are remote enough that a sub-standard "guide" would actually be dangerous for clients. If one finds these areas run by reputable outfitters, you will find good guides.

JMHO,

John

Any examples?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think many areas in the NWT, Yukon and Alaska would qualify as sufficiently remote. Areas in which polar bear, musk ox, or walrus are hunted would definitely fit the above description with many sheep areas likely to as well. That's not to say there aren't "bad outfitters" or "bad guides" taking people out for musk ox or sheep or polar bear...just that there aren't bad guides or outfitters who do it for very long as word is bound to get out about sub-par experiences.

In short, I would book such hunts with people who have been in the business the longest and then check references to see which guides in the employ of a particular outfit have been getting the best results and have been doing it the longest. I have hunted with my Yukon outfitter twice now and he has been in the hunting business for a lot of years. His head guide has been with him from the beginning and, during my last hunt, I noticed that he had really matured into a top-shelf PH quality guide. I would never choose some other company that is cheaper if it means I get an outfitter who just bought rights to a particular area or a guide who has just made the move up from "wrangler" status. This is simply false economy.

Best,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Never hunted the USA, but the two Aussie outfitters (three guides) and one Kiwi outfitter/guide have all ranked with the best of any African PH I have seen. Less arrogant too. And they don't have 30 slaves to do all the work for them.

Matt Graham - Hunt Australia
Graham Williams and Paul ??? - Australian Buffalo Hunters
Brian Harre - was Bushland Safaris

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arrow Slinger
posted Hide Post
In my mid 30's, I went on my first series of guided hunts in North America. Had some fairly poor experiences and was put through the assembly line in US and Canadian hunting camps. Have had a few good experiences with some wonderful people, that I would have no hesitation in sending my best friends to. However, have had to learn how to wade through the many that promise far more than they can actually deliver, and really don't care about taking any ownership in achieving the client's hunting goals.

I had always dreamed of hunting Africa, and I was tired of being disappointed (and once ripped-off) on the quality of North American hunts. About a year after joining SCI, and my buddies repeatedly pointing out that I could go to Africa and take 1/2 dozen top quality plainsgame animals for less money, and be treated like a King, that it seemed actually possible. They showed me pictures and shared many African tales that had me captivated (they all still hunted North America, but all insisted that I must experience Africa to be fair to myself, and stressed that dollar for dollar it was head and shoulders above a better deal) Finally, Africa seemed really possible. At the next SCI convention, I booked a 10 day 1x1 bow hunt in the Northern Province (now Limpopo) for Kudu, Gemsbok, Impala, Warthog, and Duiker, including round trip airfare for $4500 (this was 2002) -- and, ended up taking 11 animals in 10 days (some from hides, some spot and stalk), all but one were SCI Gold Medal, had the time of my life, was spoiled rotten with food and creature comforts, and my every desire was the immediate focus of the PH and staff. (All for less than the price of a good Elk hunt) Since then, I have been on 3 African safaris, and am going back in May to start hunting Dangerous Game. I'm hooked -- while I still hunt North America, Africa is my first love. To me, the obvious difference is that African PH's take more ownership of their client's hunting goals and are usually well prepared for the hunt prior to the client's arrival. Also, it appears to be an extreme professional setback for them to send a client home without the prime species that they came for. I've been on several NA hunts where my guide was ill prepared or there was really not much chance to achieve what I was led to believe, with the reply at the end of the trip "that's huntin."

Some of the folks that I know in the outfitting business in the NA are wonderful people, warm and friendly hosts and great guides, with outstanding areas possessing true trophy quality animals -- and they do everything possibe to get clients on game. However, there are many others in NA that are simply an assembly line trying to churn as many hunters through their camps as possible or otherwise aloof to the client's hunting experience. Don't get me wrong, I've had a great time with some great folks in NA on hunts, some of which the hunting did not really go that well.

To sum it all up -- When I book a Safari, I expect to have a fantastic hunting experience and achieve the overall goals -- Africans tend to have a better understanding that they are in the hunting/entertainment business. When I book a North American hunt, and have a great experience, I really appreciate it and ensure that I spread the word about the outfitter's performance, and send a few of my friends.

Posts: 106 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Maybe I have been more fortunate than most of you but my NA hunts have all been very personal and professional as any of my African hunts.

Perhaps because I spend a great deal of time researching as I do book hunts. I don't want to send my clients somewhere I wouldn't want to go for sure.

I do know if I were to be in a situation that wasn't to my liking I will be speaking up immediately to make sure my concerns are resolved before any further hunting or time spent in camp passed.

Obviously there are some destinations were issues are more prone to happen. To that I say buyer beware.

Since hunting is business for me I don't normally deal with 'budget' operators as those are the ones that usually end up leaving a lot to be desired. They either don't have good hunting areas or their equipment is lacking or poor.

Despite that, I get a lot of people inquire looking for a budget hunt and I don't have them for the very reasons posted here. Too much trouble.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread...

I recently read a Craig Bodington quote where he said, as a rule of thumb in his experience that the worst African camp is about as good as the best ones in the Rockies....his words not mine and obviously subjective!

I think some of it comes down to the overall common conscious I experience in NA, well, Canada at least, I have not speant time in the US really. I am not bad mouthing anyone or nationality at all but people really seemed to have it engrained in their minds that nothing outside of NA can be any good (except EU perhaps). Its like an automatic involuntary response that if they hear something in Africa is highly rated or well thought of that they need to find an excuse to seek fault within it or some issue with it. I think what this creates sometimes is a slack attitude about things like tourism and guiding etc etc. They just feel like they are unbeatable and have the best, biggest, brightest of everything.
I have worked in the tourism sector in RSA for 11 years and 7 seasons in Canada and am amazed at times about what people market as being 'world class'. Yes, there is lots of world class and rip off rubbish anywhere but I still see this overiding blind belief that NA just has the best, period. I think this results in some guides becoming laid back and believing people will be blown away by the experience no matter what.

Its not a hard rule of course, there is good and bad everywhere but its just an observation i have made over the years....

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been hunting a long time in North America, my own hunting skills have worked for me on Bull Elk numbering 16 with several cows thrown in. The Deer I stopped counting many year ago. I have never been on a guided Elk hunt and I am very satisified with my experiences and quite proud of my results over the years, also using my own loads and rifles. I feel like if I went on a guided Elk or Deer hunt it would be taking away from my lifetime in the field after those magnificent animals. Moose, Brown Bear, Wolfe and Caribou hunting in Alaska and Canada are another matter. I felt that because I didn't know the hunting fields there and couldn't learn them sufficiently, I needed an expert to show me the ropes and keep me from getting in trouble physicaly and weather wise in territory new to me. I paid for hunts and got trophys I could not have taken on my own. All my outfitters and guides were top notch and did their job very efficiently, making me feel like if I did my part in the shooting and physical end we would have a successful hunt. I researched extensively before deciding on the outfitter, and it paid off in the end in each case. I got trophys that will always be part of my hunting memories for the rest of my life. These Alaskan and Canadian hunts were much more spartan that my African experience, both in food and personal survices offered. Riding a horse was a necessity in Alaska, as was extensive walking over difficult terrain, the same was true of Canada. If you cannot eat fried spuds and some kind of meat and beans, you better stay home, when you consider hunting North America. ----- My experience in Africa is limited to one hunt for Buffalo and plains game. I felt very pampered as compared to the bought hunts in North America. I didn't have to pack my own rifle or water most of the time, the food was fantastic, even at lunch in the field, the hospitality was supurb the whole time. MY PH was first class and knew his territory expertly and his performance and that of his people was amazing. I met people and know people who can only hunt that way and without the pampering, grip and complain, that the hunt was less than it should have been. ----- Bottom line, it comes down to how do you want to HUNT. First -- On you own, pitting your skills with mother nature and the animals, and reaping all the benefits or failures for yourself. Second -- Hunt North American outfitted and guided hunts that have their place but are not a pampering or plush endeavor. Third -- Hunt Africa and be pampered and catered too extensively, with someone else doing all the work for you. HEY I LIKE SOME OF EACH KIND of hunting, I still get a kick out of doing it MY WAY, if at all possible, but I agree there is a difference between Africa and North American hunting experiences. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
for scenic grandeur, North America. For actually taking game, Africa.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing compares to Africa.Don't have to have been there to know.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
It is really unfair to compare the two. In NA there may be two months of hunting days compared to basically all year in southern Africa. Not only does the climate permit hunting most of the year in Africa but it also allows a much greater production of game.

A guide in NA has to "work" the rest of the year while a PH in Africa is hunting most of the year, and living expenses are much less.

Hate them colonialists!, but they did it up right in Kenya (EAPHA?? I forget their acronym) and the rest of us have been benefitting from it ever since.

In NA it is a limited part-time job and in in southern Africa it is a full-time profession.

Even though the comparison is unfair, guess which is my favorite? Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kayaker:
Interesting thread...

I recently read a Craig Bodington quote where he said, as a rule of thumb in his experience that the worst African camp is about as good as the best ones in the Rockies....his words not mine and obviously subjective!

I think some of it comes down to the overall common conscious I experience in NA, well, Canada at least, I have not speant time in the US really.

I am not bad mouthing anyone or nationality at all but people really seemed to have it engrained in their minds that nothing outside of NA can be any good (except EU perhaps).

Its like an automatic involuntary response that if they hear something in Africa is highly rated or well thought of that they need to find an excuse to seek fault within it or some issue with it.

Its not a hard rule of course, there is good and bad everywhere but its just an observation i have made over the years....

Kayaker, I think you are 180 degrees off center about what the opinion of North Americans is about Africa! I think the general consensus is, most North Americans think the quality of hunting guides/outfitting in North America is far inferior to that found in any part of Africa. Haveing hunted in All of North America, Canada, Mexico, Guatamala, and most of the USA,as well as three countries in Africa, I find the quality of the guides and outfitters as sorely lacking here in NA, and can't even be compared with most of Africa.

Will explained some of the reasons why this is the case, but I think, mostly it is simply a lack of pride in hunting on the part of most people in NA. I find those in the hunting business in Africa, Australia, and Europe, take the high road when hunting, while a lot of folks in NA wrongly consider hunting to be what is called a "RED NECK" sport !

In NA where there is good hunting, most who live there hunt on their own, and guides are simply "FOR THE DUDES",FROM BACK EAST"is the common phrase, and nobody takes them seriously. This fact doesn't draw the best people into the profession, especially since, as Will says, it is a very short term job each year. OPINION ONLY! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another explanation for the difference COULD be that here guiding and outfitting in NA is looked at as maybe not attracting the "best and brightest". It's a part time gig for most in the business. Some in NA have been able to create a business that runs year around, centered on hunting/fishing. I find at professional get togethers that these folks tend to be better at what they do. In Africa PHing represents a significant opportunity in light of their economies. Maybe as simple as attracting a group of folks closer to "best and brightest" than we do in my industry here at home.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hello-spending time in the wilderness with folks has always depleted my outdoor experience. If one must I suppose they might find comparissons useful but with the exception of a single friend I hope to continue experiencing my cougar hunts alone. It seems a shame to me that so many folks have grown to not only accept they must be guided but enjoy it. Just my thinking on hunting

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metalman29:
I have been on several guided hunts in NA and one in RSA.

Both have been great, with one semi-dud hunt in Alaska.

My thoughts -

NA :
- You have to really check out things in NA. You can easily go on an expensive crap hunt.
- You have to research areas, seasons, topography in NA. You can hunt an animal successfully in a manner you do not care for.
- Fenced hunts are rampant, but easily spotted.
- Single species hunt - be prepared to go home empty handed. Weather can ruin any hunt.
- Some "guides" in NA will not have an experience over you. Alot are part time and it is not their profession.
- The best guided hunts in NA are like hunting with a buddy. You are an active part of your hunt.

Africa
- My one complaint in Africa is that I sometimes felt as a shooter. The PH has total control. I had to assert myself to be an active part of the hunt. I want to learn while I hunt and be part of the decisions, not just collect.
-Alot of the conversation was in a foreign language and not translated or relayed in English. Felt left out of decisions and some conversations in Afrikaans.
- It should be made clear upfront if you are hunting fenced or not and the size of the acreage. We drove by some parts of RSA that had more small patches of fenced land that were being hunted than I ever saw in Texas.

Alot of places I would love to hunt alone if it were legal!

You really nailed that one on the head.

I have hunted in the West exstensivly, Africa once, I have hunted in Spain and Turkey, and a little in Alaska for caribou.

It was very hard in Africa to be anything more than the trigger. I was not involved in any part of any decision making or did I know what was going to happen from day to day.

While my African safari was a dud, it was still better than any hunt I have ever been on as far as the hunting goes.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just returned from a guided Cougar hunt in BC and based now on two seperate guided hunts
( one in the USA and one in Canada ) some comments.

The African hunting experience is a far more gratifying experience than the North American one!

African PH's on the whole offer way more than just the experience of the kill itself.

The basis for this statement lies imo in the lack of professionalism on the side of NA guides.

Or am I being to critical / generalizing or did we simply have two dud hunts ?????

Client - guide social interaction is sadly lacking. There is more to hunting than just the taking of game, it is a whole learning experience of things new and things to see and experience.

One evening I asked one of the 5 guides we had in camp what it took to become a guide in BC and the answer short and sweet.... " you need to be 19 years old!"

No more no less and then the kicker " there are guide schools but they are for pussies ! "

That raised a collective eyebrow from my partner and I for maybe, just maybe going to a guide school as they have to do in African countries will teach these guys how to interact with clients.

They will teach them how to be a true guide, to teach and show the client some of the non hunting stuff of nature perculiar to the area you are hunting in.

Any takers ?

My PH met me at the airport in Port Elizabeth....later I learned that he was required to always meet new clients with a freshly laundered and pressed shirt and pants, his shoes needed to be shined and a lot of other hygenic requirements.

His training as a PH required a certain professialalism and once I learned that it seemed like I knew why I was liking this hunt so much.

I've had guides in the US mountain hunts on horseback that I also liked and got along fine with.....but the polish was not even close to an African PH

While this professionalism isn't required for me to hunt it goes a long ways in making the hunt a shining star and a lot of American outfitters might take a hint from this.

One guide in Idaho, after learning that I was an Engineer, asked if I knew the difference between cowboy boots and engineer's boots.....I didn't reply and he said, "With cowboy boots the shit is on the outside." I laughed as this had some good humor to it and sure enough the guide was wearing his cowboy boots and sure enough the lower surfaces was covered with horse shit. No African PH would take this latitude with a client.

Is this a big thing?...NO...absolutely not.....but I remembered it all the same.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
Winston Churchill

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vapodog:
One guide in Idaho, after learning that I was an Engineer, asked if I knew the difference between cowboy boots and engineer's boots.....I didn't reply and he said, "With cowboy boots the shit is on the outside."

I'm a construction manager. I can't wait to use this in the next engineering review meeting. jumping

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
My PH was 3 hours late in Windhoek, I called the booking agent, but got no answer, then the outfitter in Namibia, also no answer.

The last 3 days they decided since I was the only hunter in camp they were done speaking English at dinner period!

Pay more it's worth it!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote