New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping Packing Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm talking to a taxidermist in Namibia regarding the packing of trophies to be shipped.

There are two options apparently - one is packed in cardboard (15% of order value), the other is in a chipboard crate (25%). Why would you not do it in the chipboard?

Second, and my main question - I guess the crate gets filled in with shredded newspaper. The mounts are put in, not attached to anything, but packed all around with the newspaper.

Is this packing method standard? I got one shipped to AK from WA and it was basically screwed from the outside of the wood crate into the back of the mount. That seemed to work well.

How have you guys had this done?

Posts: 79 | Location: Anchorage | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All I have seen are wood with the mounts screwed to the crate. I do not think Cardboard with loose trophies would work very well.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Everything I have had shipped was shipped in a wooden crate, with the mounts screwed into the side/top/bottom of the crate. I would think shipping loose packed with newpaper would be flirting with major problems.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use a wooden crate. Cardboard will not work.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a wood exterior framed cardboard lined crate. All trophies were screwed onto the wood frame with serious 3" wood screws into the back of the mount. Smaller items were wrapped up and taped to the floor/bottom of the crate. No interior, loose paper, was used at all.

Loose trophies packed in crumpled up paper sounds pretty risky to me, I can't imagine anyone would try that.

You must also make sure the wood is approved for import into the USA.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
My trophies were shipped in cardboard, but they weren't loose. The mounts were wrapped in cellophane, and then a hardening foam was blown in, making it all one hardened mass.

I'd have doubts about the loose newspaper/cardboard combo.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My trophies came in a cardboard box, but they were all just unmounted skulls and horns, and some hides.

Each skull was wrapped in bubble wrap, then in an outer layer of plastic jammed full of excelsior and heavily taped. In addition to all that, the warthog and duiker skulls, and the warthog tusks, were in separate boxes also full of excelsior.

Then everything was packed in this very heavy-gauge cardboard box, once again jammed with even more excelsior. It all traveled just fine from Windhoek to Baltimore via British Airways.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote