Find
Notify
Tools

Getting your ammo through customs
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
I was visiting with a friend the other day who saw a show on Versus featuring Steve Hornaday and the new .416 Ruger. He thought he remembered Steve saying that when you go through customs, your ammo has to be in a factory box. Is this true? I was hoping that if I do get a chance to go to Africa, I could go with my own reloads that I customarily put in plastic ammo boxes.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

The only people who might even look at your ammo are with TSA. They are more interested in how neatly you pack your ammo in the lockable box inside your suitcase than in whether it's in a "factory" box. IN any case, you normally go through U.S. Customs on return, not on departure unless you seek to register something on Form 4457 and that's better done in advance of the day you fly!

On arrival in South Africa or Namibia I have never in the past dozen years had anybody so much as look at ammo, much less care about factory boxes.

Every now and then you hear on this Board that some foreign authority has actually checked headstamps, which could be a nuisance because some of my rounds are from .375 cylindrical (for example, .300 flanged magnum). My guess is you can talk your way out of it, especially if you have a page from a reloading book ready to show...

Not something to sweat.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tim!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
1. Ammo according to the TSA has to be in a container made for holding ammo. It doesn't not have to be a factory box; a plastic ammo box is fine.

2. The box for you ammo does not have to be lockable nor do you have to have it in a locked container in your luggage.

3. At least in the U.S.A. on Delta and Northwest airlines, ammo can be transported in the same case as the firearms. South African Airways currently requires ammo to be in luggage other than what the firearms are in. The moral is know the current rules of whatever airline you're flying with as the rules can be different and subject to change.

4. It's unlikely that headstamps will be checked but if they are and are incorrect, you may not be able to talk your way out of anything.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just make sure it's in a lockable box in your checked luggage, not in your guncase. I use a cheap metal cash box that I bought at Office Depot for $11.

I haven't had a problem using plastic MTM or Frankford Arsenal boxes or the like. I wouldn't worry about not using factory boxes at all.

Andy

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The ticket clerk at Delta LAX asked me if my ammuntion was in original factory packaging and I said "Yes" but she didn't check.

The ticket agent for Delta at Gatwick airport (London) asked me if my ammunition was in my other bag (not my guncase) and I told him "Yes" but he didn't check either.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember reading some travel tips on the Dallas Safari Web page about ammo having to be in factory boxes. Why not just put your reloads in factory boxes? If asked, tell them the truth, it's in a factory box. They didn't asked where it was made, only the type of box it was in, correct?

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never had a cartboard ammo box from a factory in my safaris.

My ammo has never been been an issue. My ammo stowed in a differenet carrier has been. I use an ICC three box. My rifles below and my bolts flat on top. In affect different carriers. But, African customs were about to take my 12.7x70mm Schuler when Air 2000 pointed out I came from around the world with no problems.

All well that ends well....

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RVL III:

Why not just put your reloads in factory boxes?

RVL:

I am trying to avoid the factory box because I don't want to have to go out and buy factory loaded .500 Jeffery, .450 Dakota, .404 Jeffery, .416 Rigby, or 9.3X62 ammunition just to get the factory boxes. Understand?

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I have only encountered the "factory packaging" scenario once, and that was with South West Airlines on an in-state flight.

I had to leave the ammo behind... that particular agent was NOT letting it on the plane w/out factory packaging.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
3 trips to africa--ammo never even checked either way

1 trip to new zealand--ammo never checked

1 trip to canada--made to take it out of the locked gun case and put into the unlocked duffel bag in toronto, but not checked otherwise. on the way back from newfoundland, the candian version of tsa freaked out when some of the cartridges were missing--brass lost in the tundra hunting--from the factory box. they could not seem to understand that i actually fired some rounds while hunting (female tsa). then they let me on the plane in spite of the missing rounds. killpc

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
quote:

RVL:

I am trying to avoid the factory box because I don't want to have to go out and buy factory loaded .500 Jeffery, .450 Dakota, .404 Jeffery, .416 Rigby, or 9.3X62 ammunition just to get the factory boxes. Understand?

Dave

Midway and others used to sell blank cardboard factory type boxes.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just be sure to tell the ticket agent and TSA, "The ammo in my suitcase is RELOADS. I loaded the ammo myself in my basement." That will put them completely at east about your luggage. thumb

quote:
I was visiting with a friend the other day who saw a show on Versus featuring Steve Hornaday and the new .416 Ruger. He thought he remembered Steve saying that when you go through customs, your ammo has to be in a factory box. Is this true? I was hoping that if I do get a chance to go to Africa, I could go with my own reloads that I customarily put in plastic ammo boxes.

Dave

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I flew to RSA Mar 08 and on to Port Elizebeth. After hunting 10 days, I went to check in at Port Elizabeth and the SAA lady at checkin said I had to remove all my ammo from my hardsided bag and place in a plastic bag at the SAP office. It seems they (SAA) changed bag handling contractors and the new folks felt a plastic bag was the way to go. Upon arrving at Dulles, I went to the special baggage area and the lady there was shocked at the new SAA policy of ammo in a separate plastic bag. Even the US custom folks were surprised and suggested I place the ammo back in my hard sided suitcase for the next flight. Ask 3 airline folks their policy on flying with ammo and expect to get 4 answers!

Posts: 88 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
All commercial airlines are bound by the 'Air Navigation Order, Carriage of Dangerous Goods Act', which originally came out of the UK and most countries add the name of their country in brackets. The original idea of that if all countries have the same requirements, it can't be legal going out of the departing country, and illegal going into the arriving country.

That act, states that all ammunition must be in in manufacturers packaging OR in other container that keeps every round separate from every other round. However, since 9/11, the US Government (esp) has also allowed lots of other Govt agencies, Presidential decrees and new acts etc to get involved in this.

Some airlines also have their own additional rules such as ammo to then be put into a locked metal box. When this occurs, it is a rule and not a law though....... it's actually a bloody silly rule as well, because by doing that, you're making the ammo more dangerous for the obvious reason.

The best way to ensure you are conforming to all the laws, regulations and rules is to contact your airline beforehand and get them to confirm in writing what is and isn't permissable......... and take that written statement with you when you travel. - Remember, most check in staff won't know which way is up regarding these issues.

There's also a limit of 5 Kgs of ammo per passenger and remember you cannot pack two or more lots of 5kgs ammo into one piece of baggage for two passengers. Every 5 Kgs must be in a seperate piece of baggage.

Note that the above comments apply to smokeless powder ammo only. Smokeless powder is classified as a flammable product and although a hazardous material, it is permitted to be carried on commercial passenger aircraft if packaged correctly. Black powder (even loaded into cases) is classifed as a class 1.1 explosive and may not be carried on a commercial passenger aircraft.

Hope that helps. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:
quote:

RVL:

Dave

Midway and others used to sell blank cardboard factory type boxes.

True, but they don't sell them in boxes big enough for a Rigby, .500 Jeffery, or .450 Dakota and they don't sell any with Remington, Winchester, or Federal on the side.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
All commercial airlines are bound by the 'Air Navigation Order, Carriage of Dangerous Goods Act', which originally came out of the UK and most countries add the name of their country in brackets. The original idea of that if all countries have the same requirements, it can't be legal going out of the departing country, and illegal going into the arriving country.

That act, states that all ammunition must be in in manufacturers packaging OR in other container that keeps every round separate from every other round. However, since 9/11, the US Government (esp) has also allowed lots of other Govt agencies, Presidential decrees and new acts etc to get involved in this.

Some airlines also have their own additional rules such as ammo to then be put into a locked metal box. When this occurs, it is a rule and not a law though....... it's actually a bloody silly rule as well, because by doing that, you're making the ammo more dangerous for the obvious reason.

The best way to ensure you are conforming to all the laws, regulations and rules is to contact your airline beforehand and get them to confirm in writing what is and isn't permissable......... and take that written statement with you when you travel. - Remember, most check in staff won't know which way is up regarding these issues.

There's also a limit of 5 Kgs of ammo per passenger and remember you cannot pack two or more lots of 5kgs ammo into one piece of baggage for two passengers. Every 5 Kgs must be in a seperate piece of baggage.

Note that the above comments apply to smokeless powder ammo only. Smokeless powder is classified as a flammable product and although a hazardous material, it is permitted to be carried on commercial passenger aircraft if packaged correctly. Black powder (even loaded into cases) is classifed as a class 1.1 explosive and may not be carried on a commercial passenger aircraft.

Hope that helps. Wink

Thanks Steve.

The "OR in other container that keeps every round separate from every other round" part means that regular plastic ammo boxes would be find. That's a big help.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Dave,

That's correct. I'd also advise that you don't go out of your way to mention homeloads as there's a bit of a grey area in one of the US pieces of legislation where it's talking about BP being banned but ends in the words 'home made ammunition is not permitted'. (or similar wording) - To me that is referring to BP only, but I guess it's open to other interpretations as well because it doesn't say, 'BP home made ammunition' etc. - All it takes to have trouble with that kind of thing is one bloody minded or anti hunting check in agent.

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
HOW TO GET AMMO THROUGH CUSTOMS

Use solid aim for the customs door and not the wall and pull the trigger lol

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
jumping jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375 fanatic:
HOW TO GET AMMO THROUGH CUSTOMS

Use solid aim for the customs door and not the wall and pull the trigger lol

Big Grin

I've been to Africa 8 times. Never had a problem with the ammo issue. Always have carried it in MTM or similar plastic boxes. I tell the check in staff that it is separate to the firearms and that's been the end of it. I have never been asked about quantity or weight.

I've had many more problems with getting the rifles and ammo in and out of Australia, due to Australian Customs, than Africa..........

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, at least one company uses the MTM style box, although I cannot remember who right now.

A good step is to cobble up your own stick on lable. Naming bullet, caliber, etc. and stick it on so it seals the box. If it looks ok, then it is ok.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Safari Arms uses the MTM style boxes. And they mark your ammo with custom stickers identifying it, the date of manufacture and you. You can also purchase the MTM boxes from Midsouth Shooters Supply, Midway, etc, and do it yourself.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I've been flying with MTM cases for umpteen years and never had a single problem. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course w/printers and 'puters you can make you own labels, put them on the MTM cases and PRESTO: "factory ammo"....maybe your own factory, but factory none the less Wink

Robert

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shawn Massey
posted Hide Post
I just returned from Zimbabwe, and they did check and count my ammo going through customs in Bulawayo. Everybody was real nice and there was no trouble, all went smooth. They didn't check headstamps.

Shawn

DRSS Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

"Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun!"

Posts: 203 | Location: South West Kansas | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
http://www.bookmarq.com/tools/AmmoLabels.zip

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote