Find
Notify
Tools

West Africa in 2017?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I am thinking about going to Benin in 2017.

For those of you that have been, do you have the same problems as other places in French Africa?

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Just learn how to speak french all will be good Smiler

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Greg Brownlee about Uganda.
918 299 3580

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
918 299 3580

Ross,

I can't find a way for Uganda not to push $25,000-35,000 pretty hard over 10 days.

Benin seems to be a bargain. Maybe I should read into that.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had also thought about Zambia and hunting with the Birds, as they have wonderfully heavy horned cape buffalo but I'll have $17500 in it without adding any other animal.

Balla Balla has very Tanzanian trophy fee prices.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
West Africa is different. A Burkina Faso hunt report might give you some ideas.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/7341079481/p/1

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Wink,

I have read that report several times. Very interesting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am headed to Burkina in February. Some good deals to be had there.

Posts: 1819 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Don't know what "problems" you expect to encounter. The language issue can be overcome with some basic French and hand signals. They do not want $$ for the most part, euros and Benin francs rule. Other than that, pretty neat hunt in a different part of Africa than most folks experience.

My report from 2008 in Benin. Since then, have hunted Cameroon this March and off to Burkina Faso in February of '16.

Benin
http://forums.accuratereloadin...1043/m/793105118/p/1

Cameroon
http://forums.accuratereloadin...501082012#1501082012

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
if an old fart like me( who speaks no French and had no luggage/gear- thanks again Air France) can hunt French speaking Cameroon on foot with porters and no PH, fixed camp, or interpreter, I suspect you can manage....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13429 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always wanted one of those red buffalo. Languages are frustrating to me. My son, a linguistics major who is fluent in German and French, doesn't suffer from my mental block. Maybe I could persuade him to go as well.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Come and hunt Burkina with us. We have taken more American clients to Burkina than any other camp. You will have an English speaking translator with you from the time you land to the time you depart. Our concession borders Arly National Park and you start hunting ten minutes from camp, unlike other concessions where you will drive over an hour before you start your hunt.

I also arrange hunts in Cameroon for all the Savannah species. For those who have not hunted West Africa, you are missing out on a great hunting experience.

Arjun Reddy
www.huntburkinafaso.com
Tel: 845 259 3628
email: arjun@huntersnetworks.com
DSC Booth # 340

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChristopheMorio
posted Hide Post
Dear Sir,

Please have a look at my web site:
http://www.huntersguidesafaris.com/en/pages/benin/

Feel free to contact me.
Best regards
Christophe

Posts: 205 | Location: France | Registered: 23 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
918 299 3580

I just can't understand how you can connect Uganda with West Africa....
Big Grin

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
if an old fart like me( who speaks no French and had no luggage/gear- thanks again Air France) can hunt French speaking Cameroon on foot with porters and no PH, fixed camp, or interpreter, I suspect you can manage....

+1

Read my report.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChristopheMorio
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Please send me your email again.
The one you gave me does not work.
Thanks
Christophe

quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:

For those of you that have been, do you have the same problems as other places in French Africa?

Posts: 205 | Location: France | Registered: 23 April 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
our PH speak perfectly english, he hunt in tanzania from july to october
regards
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:

bruno Roebroeck
Atacora Safaris

Posts: 11 | Location: France | Registered: 21 June 2014Reply With Quote