Find
Notify
Tools

Botswana bound
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CFA
posted
To all of you who have been very helpful in sharing informaion and living through my first Holland blowing up my sincere thanks. My second Holland Dominion is a younger girl and shoots and handles very well. I leave Monday morning for a month in Botswana with Chris Collins, hunting elephant, leopard and plains game plus bird shooting and fishing in the Delta. Ian Lewis will be going along to film it. This is truly a trip of a lifetime for me so I am slightly pupmed.

Everyone have a great spring.

CFA

*If you are not hunting in Africa you are planning to hunt in Africa*

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a great and safe trip. We'll be waiting for the report.

one of us
posted Hide Post
CFA
Good luck on your hunt.

Give Ian my regards.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
A month in Botswana, an H&H by your side, big elephant and leopard and lechwe on the menu...outstanding!

Please take a lot of digital pictures too, including of the Delta, and if you need any help posting them when you get back, let me know. Have a great hunt, and don't come home early!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Your living a dream and living it large!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Best of luck!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Fred:

Good luck, my friend! Stay safe and have a wonderful time!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Come on CFA! Your only slightly pumped? Wink

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CFA,

The best of luck to you. Sounds like a real adventure.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
thought you guys might enjoy these pics taken in a photo concession that adjoined our hunting concession in the Okavango. the previous evening we photoed and videoed the pride females stalking a buff herd right at dark and came back the next morning to see what the killed. the females and cubs were feeding on the kil when we drove up. filmed them from a distance of 25 feet for 10-15 minutes when the old man showed up and chased them off. we continued filming for 30 minutes from the back of the Landcruiser as he ate his fill. it was an amazing experience to watch and hear rib bones snapping, muscles tearing from so close in an open truck!!! enjoy-
jerry

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13403 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Have a great trip!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Fred,
All the luck in the world to you, my friend. Hunt hard, shoot straight and enjoy the hunting the greatest game animal on earth!
Cheers,
Russell

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Fred,

Have a GREAT trip. Take lots of picturess and notes. Can't wait to hear all about it!

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Willy's .450
posted Hide Post
Shoot straight, you lucky bastard!

Geoff

OOORAH!!!

Posts: 66 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 08 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you -- I am sure that you will have a great time.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a GREAT and safe hunt. It sounds Classic... cheers

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best of luck! I'm already looking forward to the hunting report.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CFA Have a great trip.Cant wait for your report. My email address for Chris Collins doesn't seem to work anymore. Do you have his email address? Don Alexander(starbuck)

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
CFA Get a big bull and have the time of your life...

Make the shot...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CFA,

A full report with TONS of pics when you get back!

Have a fantastic Safari! Smiler

Best of Luck!
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the good wishes, hopefully they will help us find that 80 pounder. The safari will be in the classic style with Chris going out to the area we will hunt and setting up a full tented camp just like his mentor Harry Selby used to do. Harry will join us for lunch one day as he is good friends with Chris.

Don, Chris's e-mail address is gamesaf@info.bw as you may know he sometimes does not respond very quickly, true bush baby.

CFA

*If you are not hunting in Africa you are planning to hunt in Africa*

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Have an excellent trip !
Good luck and hope you find what you ae dreaming off. thumb

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
You're probably on your way already but Good Luck. Sounds like the ultimate safari.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Fred,
Have a great trip! I am envious, especally at the chance to talk with Harry Selby!

I you run into Mark Selby, ask him how much he wants for the Jeffery! Big Grin

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you. That Okavango is one of the most beautiful places I have seen in Africa.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Harry will join us for lunch one day as he is good friends with Chris.

I doubt many people can top that experience on a full month safari... That's just AWESOME.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best of luck. A month in the Okavango - sounds like heaven.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CFA:
This is truly a trip of a lifetime for me so I am slightly pumped.

CFA

Well, now he's REALLY pumped. I heard from Fred (CFA) on his sat phone from Botswana a little over an hour ago. He got a 70+ pounder this morning with his Holland .465. From the sounds of it, I don't think his feet are going to touch the ground for the rest of his safari!

Congratulations, Fred!
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very cool!

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
WTG Fred!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your Ele Fred! That old H&H did the trick,and Mark will be crowing for months about that excellently loaded ammo your useing! Big Grin

Can't wait to hear all the particulars!

Stay well! beerJambo!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I you run into Mark Selby, ask him how much he wants for the Jeffery! Big Grin

Unlikely as he does not have "his" Jeffery any longer. Mark has .....retired from PH'ing and sold off the one rifle he has been using for the past decade, a .416 rigby by rigby thumb

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote