Notify
Tools

Re: AR FMJ Shoot-Out
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andy
posted
Tim,

I wonder if we could get those at an approved recylce center???

Would nursery's have alot of them? We all have nurserys in our vacinity.

Would you mind whacking a 10 foot long row of these for us with any 375, 416 or 458 FMJ and seeing if you can capture them?

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think as Will said we really need the same containers for this.Andy, what was wrong with the containers you tried? I had identified a similar product here is all.
Canuck is it easy to get woodleighs in Canada?
Let me know if not.

Karl.

Posts: 3533 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I've got a 416 Taylor with a 1 in 12" twist all ready to go if you don't want to wait for Will's to be finished.

I can also do a trial with my 470 Mbogo if that would be of interest. In fact, I am sure Dave E. will want to join in on the fun once he has read this thread.

I have many, many 4L milk jugs and windshield washer fluid jugs.

The only hindrance to my participation is the fact that the bullets aren't readilly available. I am hoping to get some up here in the next month or so.

Cheers,

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Canuck,

I have edited the first post on this thread to update the sign up sheet. Thank you all!

I was hoping you would offer to help, as I thought you had tried a wooden stop box in the past yourself. Please talk to Will, as it would be nice if we did not rely on one person to test more than one rifle. The containers get expensive. I have put you down for the 470 Mgobo. What velocity range will it cover?

Karl,

I tried some narrow clear plastic storage contianers (for shoes) that would have let us get a very accurate measurement of penetration depth, but the lids were not water tight and leaked when you laid them on edge.

The large rubbermaid tubs are most likely to stop a powerful FMJ and were available for a dollar less than my normal 5 gallon buckets. But alot of the bullets would probably end up in the same bucket (16 x 24 inches).

The 7 gallon containers were too narrow at the base and if we find a similar product (about 7 inches wide) that is more slab sided it will work with a 13 gallon garbage bag liner. Why dont you check and see if you have something similar in Brisbane?

I am also checking 1 gallon rectangular jugs like Norbert used, that we commonly buy radiator fluid in. My friend in the plastics business can probably find a commercial source for new, empty ones.

The milk jugs wont stop a FMJ. They veer off course too easily. We really need a more rectangular product. One gallon zip lock freezer storage bags work for pistol bullets but are not quite large enough to get a consistantly uniform hit on.

Ideas are welcome.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
You guys better hurry up and get this going. Otherwise I'll have to invite you all to California to do this testing, I don't think penetration in FROZEN water jugs would be meaningful
Russ

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote