New
Find
Notify
Tools

gps in Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have not used a handheld gps but am considering purchasing one for an upcoming safari. I would like to plot coordinates of where I hunted for after I get home.

What units have you had good experiences with? Can you download African maps to the device?

405wcf

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I use a Garmin 60Csx which is very user friendly and allows you to download maps onto it but you could probably get away with a cheaper unit if you needed to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We use a Garman 60 CSx. Easy to use and will do every thing we need. Beyond that just more gadgets which is ok too. 60CSx is not complicated and excellent battery life.

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We use a Garmin maps76s: works fine; however, we really do not use it much other than to record the location of our kills

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you need it to interface with local maps...use the correct datum. Zim, Zambia and Botswana use Clarke 1880 (Not WGS 84)...since very few GPS's offer you that, Arc 1950 is the closest.

Many folk leave the GPS on US settings...which is ine for general hunting but..we had a huge barny in the Dande between PH's unting in Moz and those hunting in Zim. The Zim PH was useing WGS 84..which gave the border 2km inside mozambique!

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Crowkiller
posted Hide Post
I used a very cheap Lowrance model, just in case something happened and I needed to get back to camp. I realized it was totally unnecessary when I got there, but kept it on out of habit.

I saved the main camp as a waypoint, and when I got home, used the coordinates to find the camp on Google Earth. It was interesting to see the aerial view of the property. I could easily use landmarks to find the areas of my kills.

TANSTAAFL

Posts: 73 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would expect that error was in map preparation, not, plotting: a
position is a position. When two charts(maps) using different datums are side by side, you get what is known as datum shift which can be adjusted by taking a bearing and distance from known objects and plotting that fix. However, the lat/lon position is the same: test this by changing the datum on your gps and compare the positions. Africa is part of the European Datumn which is a large datum based upon the International Ellipsoid 0f 1994 which was oriented by a modified astrogeoditic method. European, African and Asian triangulation chains were connected, and African measurements from Cairo to Cape Town were completed. Get a copy of "The American Practical Navigator" for a detailed description and how to make datum corrections.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I meant to type 1924, not 1994!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One more thing; charts, or, maps are not acurate over the entire area covered by the map: the legend will give you the location, on the map, from which the map features were derived; also all the African maps I have seen are fairly small scale, which also can account for regional inaccuracies.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crowkiller:

I saved the main camp as a waypoint, and when I got home, used the coordinates to find the camp on Google Earth. It was interesting to see the aerial view of the property. I could easily use landmarks to find the areas of my kills.

Pretty slick! That would make it well worth carrying a GPS.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Chick:
I would expect that error was in map preparation, not, plotting: a
position is a position. When two charts(maps) using different datums are side by side, you get what is known as datum shift which can be adjusted by taking a bearing and distance from known objects and plotting that fix. However, the lat/lon position is the same: test this by changing the datum on your gps and compare the positions. Africa is part of the European Datumn which is a large datum based upon the International Ellipsoid 0f 1994 which was oriented by a modified astrogeoditic method. European, African and Asian triangulation chains were connected, and African measurements from Cairo to Cape Town were completed. Get a copy of "The American Practical Navigator" for a detailed description and how to make datum corrections.

Bryan has it right. The maps being used were not correctly georectified.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
I now have a Garmin Oregon 550. Really neat device. You can purchase and download the maps you mentioned and the unit also take a Sd memory card, should you run out of space (and you run out if you load too much!)

Other than the usual GPS functionality, it is a Garmin, no antenna, operates via touch-screen, has very good battery life, is very easy to use and the main reason I bought it ... it has a built-in 3.2Mp digital camera with geo-tagging - i.e. it stores the coordinates the picture was taken at. We will use it extensively for game counts and collection of "spatial distribution" data - such as the location of vulture nests, rural villages and other noteworthy things.

It sells for around $500 or so excluding the Africa maps, another $150 or so.

I like it and it works well!

Johan