Find
Notify
Tools

Nickudu Africa Files; Lion Hunters
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello Nickudu,

For some reason I could not post a reply/comment on your Nickudu African Files forum regarding Lion Hunters so here are my comments.

Namibian professional hunters have been recording measurements of Lion, Leopard and Cheetah shot for trophees or problem animals for a long time. I was not sure what was done with all the data over the years untill recently. In January we were fortunate to take a problem Lion in the NW of Namibia and I reported this Lion (we have to report the shooting of these predators within 48 hours) to the ministry. I then received an e-mail from our Large predator trust thanking me for the info. I did not think anything of it for a while untill the next e-mail I received.

I have a pretty good idea of what is happening in these areas as far as Lion is concerned.....at least I thought I did untill they sent a map of all the Lion data showing, groups, sub-groups of Lion with their home ranges, territories and sightings. I have since sent a brief e-mail listing my sightings and experiences over the last year and they were pleased with the info.

The point that I'd like to make is that some of the serious and realistic research groups work with or have dealings with other groups that are against or not in favour of hunting (Lion, Leopard and cheetah). If we can support the sincere and realistic researchers we will have a strong ally in the future.

Also as important if not more so, by putting our heads and info together we will beable to formulate plans for the conservation and management of these species.

Posts: 181 | Location: Windhoek Namibia | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
That always sounds like a good plan; I just hope it is. It does seem though that many of these coop arrangements wind up being compromises, and being compromised out of business.

Not that this instance is the same or even similar, but I had to cringe when all this gun control stuff was started in S. Africa. Everyone was cooperating so wonderfully, when, of course, the real agenda was to prohibit gun owwnership (as usual). And indeed it gets worse every day there with more and more restrictions.

Wishing you the best.

Posts: 19307 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Vaughn, for the added insight. As the "Nickudu Files" are Read-Only, your taking time to comment here is appreciated. Gerhard Damm, of the "African Indaba Newsletter", has his finger on the pulse of many such programs and has been very good in maintaining contact with the AR members via the "Nickudu Files". Your ongoing input is most welcome, should you come across items of interest or concern to the hunting community.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Will,
100%, my man.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote