THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Boddington's new book: "Leopard" your opinion....

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boddington's new book: "Leopard" your opinion....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am thinking of buying it, but at $150.00, I am wondering if it's worth the high price.

Anyone have it, and what do you think??

Are there lot's of color pictures and other good stuff, or just a repeat of his other writings?

PS...is it me or does he constantly use the word "wonderful" in every story?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am almost finished with it and think it is good. I don't have Hallamore's Chui yet to compare it to but I bought it due to high marks from Richard Harland who wrote the intro for it. It's not a repeat of his leopard DVD as I have it too.

There are a tremendous amount of color photos in it. I think there are photos on every page or almost every page.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Yukon,

Could you tell me a little bit about it??

Is it, a "how to do it" type book, or story's etc...

Thanks again!!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a little bit of everything...lots of stories but I would characterize it as an overview of leopard hunting in general with attention given to tracking, baiting, using dogs, catching problem leopards, trophy judgement, follow-up scenarios, hunting on film and many other subjects. There are also very good chapters on hunting Africa's other cats and on cat taxidermy which is notoriously difficult to do well.

I bought my copy about a month ago and it was #864 of 1250. There will only be 1 printing ever. This book will definitely increase in value when it sells out. It's a neat overall package also that is pretty classy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the book and enjoyed it. I don't have much leopard experience: just 4 nights in a blind where everything save a leopard, showed up. Before next april I'll reread it in hopes that an epiphany will occur enabling me to instruct the ph and assorted hangers on in the arcane art of leopard hunting. buy it you will probably enjoy it

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Is the book written in Boddington's normal writing style? I have always found his magazine articles rather dry. Obviously, he knows his facts but he is not as interesting story teller as others who have written for a living. $150.00 is a lot of cash for a boring book.

Posts: 5711 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't answer that for you. If you want a good book on leopard hunting (not many of those around) then buy it. If you don't like Boddington's style then go find Chui by Hallamore for hundreds more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered mine tonight. I'll keep you all posted.

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I would recommend ordering the DVD to go with it.

They are both good.

The only thing better is the AR Nickudu files.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yukon delta, mine is #854, the DVD was good I haven't started the book yet. I have to admit I like Craig's work. His books are more realistic than say a PHC.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've got the book and the DVD. I'm about half way through the book. Mine is number 120 something, since I ordered it directly from Boddington's website once it came out. I've never been Leopard hunting, but it fascinates me and I hope to do it someday before the end. I like Boddington's stuff and try to read most everything that he writes. From what I can tell, this book is written like most of his stuff, so if you don't like his writing style, then I'd say don't waste the money on the book since you'll be disappointed. I agree with the above statements that the book will only increase in value. Mine is signed by all the authors, although I think all of the books are signed, too. From my standpoint, the book is much more detailed than the DVD, which you'd expect, and gets into all the details that make up Leopard hunting. I think it is a must read for anyone seriously interested in hunting these cats, especially for someone who never has hunted them.
Test

Posts: 17 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, they are all signed. The one thing that could have been improved would be to have Richard Harland sign them too in his introduction. In fact, I may have Richard do that anyway!

Good post and I agree with what you wrote.