Find
Notify
Tools

Nice shooting Buzz
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
And another missed brain shot. It's a good thing John Taylor was right, eh?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
And yet another miss. Even with a new 600? Smiler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...QSAY&feature=related

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good work Buzz.

And with a bolt rifle??? From reading some of the threads here, I thought getting stuck in such a situation would result in certain death!!!!!

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Buzz good shooting and looked like that rifle was empty 2 shots?

Mike

Will that 600 sure slowed down that ele for the second shot...

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
well done my friend,excellent shooting.How do you get involved on so many elephant charges?In your areas are they especially agresive?

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buzz-
Fine shooting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but did I not suggest last year that you change cologne?
Counting the days until March.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Well done, Buzz. But why only two rounds in your boltgun, and you only reloaded two???

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Buzz usually only loads one. I guess he was being greedy loading two that day!

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Buzz has some great marketing with his company website on the back of his shirt.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So who's elephant was it. Looking at the video was Buzz hunting the elephant or the guy following along with the double. What's the point of the video, I try to follow all this that goes on, but I have to ask what were they tring to do. There must have been an early part of this story that I missed. I hope the guy following Buzz around wasn't protecting the camera man.
Thanks, kidd

Posts: 141 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
A recent post discussed what a hunting client could expect insofar as backup protection from a PH. This video dramatically demonstrates that, in the company of a top professional like Buzz Charlton, a hunter is in very good hands.

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kidd:
So who's elephant was it. Looking at the video was Buzz hunting the elephant or the guy following along with the double. What's the point of the video, I try to follow all this that goes on, but I have to ask what were they tring to do. There must have been an early part of this story that I missed. I hope the guy following Buzz around wasn't protecting the camera man.
Thanks, kidd

The point is Buzz is trying to keep from getting killed!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So is it considered a successful hunt. Maybe not on the video. That would be great to show all your buddies over at the house while your passing around the double that wounded it or not. I guess I just expected a wee bit more than that. Didn't realize all the aspects of the hunt. It's just a learning experience for those that haven't been there I guess.
Just an observation that's all.
kidd

Posts: 141 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kidd:
So is it considered a successful hunt.

A elephant cow charges a group of seven people downhill and no one gets hurt. I would say that is a successful hunt even though I am sure that Buzz regretted and wished he had not had to shoot. Hunting elephant cows is the most dangerous hunt out there and when you do it day in and day out like Buzz sometimes you can just cannot avoid an encounter like this despite taking every effort to avoid a problem.

Mike

Posts: 21386 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Kidd, This was not a successful hunt but Buzz was successful at not getting anyone hurt! Ive never hunted elephant but my guess is this was not the animal the client was after. This was an encounter Im sure Buzz wished would not have happened so they could continue hunting a trophy of the clients liking. Unfortunately these encounters do happen and Im guessing in the prehunt briefing Buzz instructs the clients not to shoot unless he is about to get stomped. I bet if the elephant was still on her feet and charging after Buzz emptied his rifle he would welcome anyone else in the hunting party to step up and take a shot! I Hope this answered your question.....

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Sigh. Yet another cow needlessly killed. When are you silly PHs going to smarten up and consider my "ele GO away" device. Instead of a dead cow, I'm confident the end result would have been *much* different. Check it out:

Problem solved.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
bewildered WTF?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
You have been away therefore you missed some...anyway see here Smiler:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...111024931#2111024931

Posts: 2028 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great shooting and nice footage.

What rifle/cartridge combination is Buzz using there?

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by umshiniwam:

His old RUGER in 416RIGBY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drop it like it's hot.

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
quote:
Originally posted by umshiniwam:

His old RUGER in 416RIGBY

Thanks. He know how to use it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys

It is amazing how footage finds its way on to U -tube. Is there a way to control that? Anyway now that the footage is publicaly aired I will fill in the back ground to this hunt.

I was hunting with Ron Price on a big 4 hunt and we were climbing a hill to do some scouting when we came upon some cows. We immediately set off down hill putting some distance between us and the herd when one cow charged for no reason whats so ever.

I certainly did my best to try and get away but had a National Parks Scout who ( from a previuos elephant trampling) was not very mobile. As a result I ended up shooting her at very close quarters. Infact she ended up ontop of the Scoutes hat!( the video never does justice as to exactly how close it is.)

My gun is always load with 3 but I always take the oppertunity when ever possible to top up ( maybe that was the confusion ref the two rounds) when I gave her the second shot I reloaded incase there was an issue with the remainder of the herd.

KIDD- This was not a successful hunt. Infact it was not a hunt at all rather an unfortunate incident that happens when you are hunting elephant 160 days of the year.

I always have a chat with my clients before we get into elephant and we have a clear understanding that if we get in a tight situation and I have to shoot in self defence and if the ele does not go straight down it then help will be appreciated!!!

Regarding why I seem to have so many charges, the reason is that I am doing 30 plus elephant a season which is substantially more then other Zim Phs and it is simply a numbers game.

This season was a good season and the only elephant I have had to shoot in self defence was the one we are discussing! I have another 6 elephants to go this season so hopefully those statistics wont change!! Cheers Buzz

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Hi Buzz,
Yes it is amazing, this modern computer technology but it had to be posted by someone with access to the footage. Anyway, I doubt it could do your business harm??
Regards,
Ad

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Buzzard,

The point is you came out still alive. That's a big upside.

In this 24/7 life these days you can hardly expect anything not to hit the newsstands almost instantly.

No video, no youtube! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
do you have to pay for these "unintentional" eles?

or how is this solved with the govt.?

/newbie

fat chicks inc.

Posts: 475 | Location: Belgien | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:
Hi Guys

It is amazing how footage finds its way on to U -tube. Is there a way to control that? Anyway now that the footage is publicaly aired I will fill in the back ground to this hunt.

I was hunting with Ron Price on a big 4 hunt and we were climbing a hill to do some scouting when we came upon some cows. We immediately set off down hill putting some distance between us and the herd when one cow charged for no reason whats so ever.

I certainly did my best to try and get away but had a National Parks Scout who ( from a previuos elephant trampling) was not very mobile. As a result I ended up shooting her at very close quarters. Infact she ended up ontop of the Scoutes hat!( the video never does justice as to exactly how close it is.)

My gun is always load with 3 but I always take the oppertunity when ever possible to top up ( maybe that was the confusion ref the two rounds) when I gave her the second shot I reloaded incase there was an issue with the remainder of the herd.

KIDD- This was not a successful hunt. Infact it was not a hunt at all rather an unfortunate incident that happens when you are hunting elephant 160 days of the year.

I always have a chat with my clients before we get into elephant and we have a clear understanding that if we get in a tight situation and I have to shoot in self defence and if the ele does not go straight down it then help will be appreciated!!!

Regarding why I seem to have so many charges, the reason is that I am doing 30 plus elephant a season which is substantially more then other Zim Phs and it is simply a numbers game.

This season was a good season and the only elephant I have had to shoot in self defence was the one we are discussing! I have another 6 elephants to go this season so hopefully those statistics wont change!! Cheers Buzz

Buzz,

That was great example of a very professional job in a difficult situation. Good work.

You are on the list for my next hunt. So try and stay alive long enough that I can get some money scrapped up. Wink

One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
I admire your nerves of steel, excellent shooting and post-shooting recon.Well done.

Another interesting thing is the stopping power of the .416 Rigby.The elephant almost smashed its head into the ground and didn't move from there. beer

Best-
Locksley,R.

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 795 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Well done Buzz! As usual you displayed your "wait til the last second" decorum to properly dispatch that cheeky gal! Good shooting.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7541 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most impressive. Good shooting. Well done.

Posts: 12019 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Well handled Buzz. Looked totally unprovoked to me. She at first appeared to be content with her display, shame she had to press the issue. Good shooting, calm under pressure as always…and I like that fancy footwork!

I’ll reiterate what was already stated, that some charges are simply unavoidable. The more days one spends in elephant country, in and around cow herds, the more situations one is going be in involved with. And when hunting tuskless elephant, you need to get into the herds in order to be able to select an appropriate cow (no tusks, no dependent young, and of reasonable size/age). Buzz and I approached and were in close proximity to hundreds of elephant, and never once did we have to shoot in defense. It happens, and RULE #1 is DON’T GET KILLED.

One last thought, I think if we were to quiz PH’s from all over Zim, the consensus would be that due to increased poaching and pressure on the areas, the elephant are indeed more aggressive. I saw it on my last hunt, come across the wrong one and be prepared to defend boarders.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Keep it up Buzz. Hope to see you over on our side of the pond come January. Stay safe and good hunting.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
We will soon see NFL players doing the "Charlton Shuffle" after they score a touchdown!!! Big Grin

That was some footwork...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 416 Rigby performed well. Is your 500 NE on it's way? Wished you would have had it.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:
Hi Guys

I am just a little bit puzzled by any attempt be it overt of hinted criticizing this sequence of events. Shit happens in the bush and...well I know this may be a shock to some...but we can't control very much of it at all.

My .02

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Pretty wild ride...

I'd be curious to know Buzz, from the point at which you determined her to be charging, how many yards/meters did she cover before you clobbered her? I'm interested to know just how determined (as measured by distance covered during a charge)she was and whether or not this was typical or a rare case.

_Baxter

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:

buzz i agree entirely add to that the fact that you have a cameraman behind you to capture that - i had a very bad season two years ago and killed some self defense animals , no surprise that that was the year i hunted the most cows - that year i had 205 days hunting and saw a tptal of 28 elephant shot , 15 of those tuskless - thats a whole lot of time weeding tuskless out of groups -

today in zimbabwe the cows are certainly more agressive , thats a whole different discussion but if you are taking 30 animals a year and you average that out at ten days per - thats 300 days around elephants every year and you are going to shoot more in self defense than a guy guiding on two elephant bulls -

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am just glad Buzz posted before I did a WTF and embarrassed my self.....nice shooting!

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote