Find
Notify
Tools

My Zambian Sable
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted
Just got back from Zambia and South Africa yesterday. I was mostly along to accompany a group of four first-time African hunters on a plains game hunt that I arranged for them with Schalk van Heerden of Bush Africa Safaris in South Africa, but I got to make a three-day side trip to Zambia to hunt a sable at the beginning of it while the group got started on their hunts.

I hunted on Chaminuka Ranch about 45 minutes outside of Lusaka, a 10,000-acre game ranch. Except for the first few hours in the morning, it was quite windy, so game got very scarce for most of the day. On the first morning, only five minutes after confirming zero and beginning to hunt, we saw a bull sitting in the shade of a tree next to a large termite mound. We drove past, stopped behind the mound, and sneaked up on it. My PH estimated it at 38" and it was an easy broadside shot at maybe 40 yards, but because it was so early in the hunt and there was a good chance at 40" or better on this ranch, I passed.

Then the wind picked up mid-morning and we didn't see a single sable bull (and very little other game) until almost dark when we were coming back to the lodge. There was a bull and several cows in a field near the lodge, and we planned to return the next morning to see if they were still there.

In the grey dawn before sunrise we approached the field through the fringing trees to find the herd still there. My PH estimated this bull also at 38", but then we saw what looked to be a second lone bull standing off to the right. We backed away through the trees and moved over to look at him, and as we emerged from the trees my PH said, "He's a big one; take him."

Distance was about 60-70 yards, and he was facing us, angling about 10 degrees to his right. I hit him with a 286-grain Nosler Partition at 2335 fps from my Blaser R93 in 9.3x62 just inside and slightly above the point of his left shoulder and he collapsed where he stood. The trackers and my PH seemed surprised that he went down immediately; grins all around.

Quick field measurements put his horns at 38" with 10" bases. He's a big old guy and I like the shape of his horns very much.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Eric,

Good job! Nice sable and nice pic.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eric,

What a beauty! You have only a slight smile ... I'd have been grinning from ear to ear.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great looking bull--maybe not overly long, but such mass! Sectacular. Question--is Schalk van Heerden related to Ron van Heerden per chance? I hunted with him in '95 in Zimbabwe. Ron has a PH son by the name of AJ van Heerden.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Great bull, great kill and GREAT caliber! congrats. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Very good!!! and very nice picture.
I don't know why but since a couple of weeks ago a little "sable worm" is growing inside me

LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Great looking bull--maybe not overly long, but such mass! Sectacular. Question--is Schalk van Heerden related to Ron van Heerden per chance? I hunted with him in '95 in Zimbabwe. Ron has a PH son by the name of AJ van Heerden.

Thanks. I don't know for sure about the relationship you asked about, but I'd doubt it. There are a lot of van Heerdens around, I believe.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Your bull is a beautiful animal with dark coloration, heavy horn mass and good length, too. I hunted for 21 days in Tanzania last year and didn't even see a sable--and we spent several days in the hills looking for them. Zambia seems to be the place to go.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a gorgeous animal. I am sure you are very pleased indeed. Rufous.

Posts: 224 | Location: Walla Walla, WA 99362 | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great job!

Sable is definitely on my wish list.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Very nice Sable. It's one of the animals I most want to hunt. Well done.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Inches be damned! Thats a beautiful heavy-horned sable with great shape and character. A trophy to be proud of, congratulations. Sable are one of my favorite plaingame animals to hunt! So proud and arrogant.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Inches be damned! Thats a beautiful heavy-horned sable with great shape and character. A trophy to be proud of, congratulations. Sable are one of my favorite plaingame animals to hunt! So proud and arrogant.

Thanks. I tend to think of waterbuck as proud and arrogant, kudu as elegant and poised, and sable as regal and stately. Each to his own prejudices.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Eric,
I do know chamunika and did get your message but have been travelling for a bit. Apologies.
Did you stay at the main lodge or the fly camp? Did you get to sample their cheese? they have a huge cheese factory on the farm.Who was your PH?
Did you get a chance to spot their eland there are some big boys on that ranch.

Posts: 228 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 25 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Congrats Eric,
I do know chamunika and did get your message but have been travelling for a bit. Apologies.
Did you stay at the main lodge or the fly camp? Did you get to sample their cheese? they have a huge cheese factory on the farm.Who was your PH?
Did you get a chance to spot their eland there are some big boys on that ranch.

We stayed at the main lodge. I wish I could've sampled their cheeses, but I'm lactose intolerant <sigh>. My PH was Eddie Wentzel from Sable Safaris, which is a Zambian DBA for my PH in South Africa, Schalk van Heerden of Bush Africa Safaris, and his partner, Pieter Bothma of Cheetah Safaris. They have a 1.2 million acre concession just south of the Luangwa NP, part private, part government GMA, but it mostly specializes in lion, leopard, buffalo, and roan. They use Chaminuka in combination with their Luangwa camp to round out their plains game offerings, since it has so many different ones available.

We did see a small herd of eland, but they were youngsters; no blue bulls. The only large animals we didn't see were the giraffe.