THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Anyone hunted with the 416 ruger? Elephant, Buff . . .? Thoughts?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone hunted with the 416 ruger? Elephant, Buff . . .? Thoughts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any commits? As if? Wink Have Ruger 375 and preformed great w/CM Safaris!! Looking at elephant and think I need a little more power. All comments and thought are welcome !!!!

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 416 Ruger will do the same thing as the Remington, Rigby, Taylor, etc...

The elephant won't know the difference.

The real question is whether or not you like the rifle.

You should already have a good idea whether you like Ruger rifles, having used one.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:

The 416 Ruger is entirely different.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
quote:

Confused

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
It is different.

It is available in a compact, light package that is basically weatherproof and since it can be obtained for $800.00, if it gets scratched up, who cares.

It has intergral mounts for Warne QD rings, shoots a 400 grain bullet out of the short barrel at 2330 fps (out of mine, anyway) and has great iron sights already installed.

Mine is a 1.2" gun @ 100 yards with factory Hornady ammo and it consistangly shoots less than an inch with Barnes TSX 350 grain bullets at almost 2500 fps.

I've killed two elephants, a buffalo, a hippo and a dozen bait animals with mine without a hitch. I did take it to a gunsmith and have the trigger worked on some, but that's all.

It ain't pretty but it is different in that it is a cheap, ugly tool that works as this ration elephant would attest.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, just like I said, the Ruger will do just what the others do.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Am I right that you can only get factory ammo from Hornady? If so, that would be a problem for me as I am not real crazy about their bullet choices for DG...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
The single negative I've heard was from a PH. His ONLY reservation was the availability of ammo in Africa if your ammo case failed to arrive.

I think the Ruger big bore chamberings have more than proven their effectiveness for shooting big nasties on Tracks Across Africa and on this forum.

I can't wait to see what they come up with in a .458 chambering. Hint, hint, hint.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me see, didnt I just read an article by Col Boddington about a hunt that he had a Ruger rebarreled to 416 Taylor for?

stir

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also took my LH Ruger 375 to CM Safari's Makuti area and successfully brained two elephants (one frontal, one side) with clean one shot kills. I too also thought more power would be nice for elephant hunting so I sent this same rifle to Custom Barrel Works in Arizona to be rebored/rechambered to a 416 Ruger. The total cost including shipping was about $ 360. I originally bought the rifle second hand unfired for $ 750 complete costs. Classic Barrel Works was able to do the work in a month so off to the range I went. I just plopped the new rebored/chambered action back into the original African stock. It took four rounds of the Horandy 400 DGX ammo for a significant crack to develope at the tang. I have since sent it to Accuracy Innovations for a nice new aluminum bedded English Walnut stock which raises my cost substantially. The Ruger 416 is a nice modern version of the 416 and I look forward to hunting with my new baby sometime later this year. As has been mentioned before, the only drawback is the lack of ammo in Africa in case your ammo is lost compared to 30-06/375/458. I have had thirteen hunting trips to Africa so far and only once was I seperated from my ammo. I received it one day later.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
The single negative I've heard was from a PH. His ONLY reservation was the availability of ammo in Africa if your ammo case failed to arrive.

That's why I wouldn't buy one but. The ammo availability is very limited.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2092 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems that one's gun is more likely to get "lost" for a few days than the other luggage. At that point, one could argue that having the ammo w/o the gun would be the same as the gun w/no ammo?! Travel to Africa and it happens.

I feel that saving $$ on the gun itself--you would have more trophy fee $$ Wink and could get reloaded ammo (other than Hornady-if one does not like H) ----still saving $$. I have the 375 to match so I would have the same "feel" of the gun. Seems to be a plus to me.

Skip Nantz

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Skip, I disagree... Had my bag with my clothes and ammo not arrive when we did. So I had two expensive clubs. A 450#2 double and a 375 H&H Caprivi.
But when we arrived I know PVT shoots a 375H&H so any ammo is better then no ammo. But I do not think you will ever find the custom or wildcat ammo.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I feel that if I was going to use the camp gun that I might as well use their ammo--double check their zero w/one shoot vs having to rezero with several of my own. Hopefully within a day or two, I would have my own.
It's a shame that luggage problems are so high w/Africa travel--but it is one of those evils one must deal w/if you are going to hunt there.

Skip Nantz

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have to echo Retreever's remarks with my own experience as well. I have had two safaris where the guns arrived, but my ammo and clothes did not, for a number of days. On one safari, like Mike, I shot .375 ammo supplied by my PH and fortunately killed a monster leopard while doing so, and while hunting in my "airplane" clothes and a borrowed coat. My other rifle, a .300 WSM was as useless as "tits on a boar pig" until my ammo arrived. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I agree wanting to use my ammo but you will not find Ruger rounds in African hunting camps., but you will find 375H&H 416Rem, 458 win, 458 Lott, 416 Rigby. Any ammo is better then no ammo I also know a hunter who had a ten day buf hunt and did not get his clothes, ammo, or gun till end of 8th day of hunt. He used my advise and dont let problems ruin your safari. He came up to me in Reno and personally thanked me for that advise.

Mike

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
retreever,
IMHO you are right. the kiss method applies at all times when traveling in African especially when traveling with rifles and ammo. The simplest thing is to take standard calibers that have been and will continue to be used most often. if you lost 06 or 458 375hh etc. you can replace it fast and easy

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Better not ever hunt with a double then...because if they loose your ammo the likelihood that you find 470 NE or 450 or whatever in camp or a store is pretty remote...I luv hypocrisy

If you want to hunt with a ruger get one put ammo in both your bags and forget about it and go have a good time

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike: I had a friend that happened to get his 470NE DR upon arrival in Zimbabwe, but no ammo as his other bags were delayed. When he arrived in Bulawayo to hunt with PH John Hunt, John telephoned PH John Sharp and inquired as to whether or not he had any extra 470 ammo. John indeed had some extra boxes of 470 NE ammo that other clients had left for John to use, and the hunt went forward with the double rifle. Maybe he was just lucky. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
If you want to hunt with 416 Ruger, Taylor, etc. the thing to do is take it and leave all your surplus ammo in Africa for the guys that lose theirs. Otherwise the situation will never change.

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will, I agree also! I may have forgotten a couple of boxes of 375 Ruger with CMS in August. Wink I think w/ all the problems of acquiring ammo for these gents is a shame. If a couple of boxes are left here and there--maybe another hunter/guide will benifit!!

Skip Nantz

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
UEG,

Yep very lucky...about a 1 in XXXXX chance. Of course then he has to be even luckier that it is anywhere near regulated for his rifle.

Me...I tend not to make decisions based on being able to buy or find ammo at my destination. That logic would say no knew cartridge every goes on an international hunt.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I think that's why we suggested going with a caliber that you have a good chance of either buying ammo for, or that the PH might have, just in case the inevitable does occur, as it did with me or Retreever. tu2 Even here in the good old U.S. of A. you might not be able to buy ammo on a hunt when you need it. And yes, the 470 Federal ammo that PH John Sharp had for PH John Hunt's client was very useful, as the client was shooting a Merkel DR that had been regulated with Federal trophy bonded ammo. Very lucky indeed! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
My point is...unless you are talking about one of a 10 or 12 very common cartridges, you are just as likely not to find ammo.

Maybe this is a better illustration, everybody knows that the 7mm-08, 280 Rem, 338-06 and 35 Whelen, 358 Win are great plains game cartridges. Hardly anyone ever says "don't take those you won't be able to find ammo for them". Same thing goes for all the Weatherby cartridges.

I suspect that finding ammo for these common US calibers in Africa would be rare except for in the largest of major cities and then I wonder about the consistency. Another good example is the 9,3x64 great caliber, the same above issue likely applies.

Yet whenever a new cartridge comes out such as WSMs or 375 and 416 Ruger's...the reply always comes out

"Better not take that...you won't find ammo for it, if yours is lost"

Your friend was very lucky his PH was able to arrange ammo for his double.

I would love to hear from Ganyana or some of the others what cartridges are consistently available and by consistently I mean you can count on them being on the shelf.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was limited too...

6.5x55
270 Win
7x57
7mm rem mag
30-06
8x57
338 Win Mag
9.3x62
375HH mag
416 Rem Mag
458 Win

I suspect anything else is pretty iffy.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

How so?

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by China Fleet Sailor:
quote:
quote:

How so?

I'm just kidding.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed. And yes, hearing from those on the ground in Zim and or any of the other hunting venues would be helpful. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
Shame that we are unable to convince the airline industry to give sport hunters a "box within a box" clause for int'l travel for arms and ammo.

Why, even in the post 9/11 world, it is a non issue in the US and yet is an insurmountable roadblock elsewhere baffles me. With the stroke of a pen, the industry could create tens of thousands of happier customers without impacting safety or security one iota simply by allowing ammo to be transported within the same locked box as the firearm.

It's a shame we allow the irrational fear of firearms to impact our lives so heavily.

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote