New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black Leopard from Ethopia
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This came up in a discussion posted by Rich Elliot. The pitcure is of John Kingsley Heath with a pelt and skull from a black colored leopard shot in Ethopia. It is from "Hunting the Dangerous Game of Africa" by Heath. There is a long description of the hunt and Ethopia in general in the book.

Best regards;
Brett

[IMG:left][url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=376084&c=500&z=1"] [/url][/IMG]

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much -- that would certainly be a very prized trophy.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I saw one in the Selous Reserve -but not for long...... There's also supposed to be some in Kruger Park........

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've read several places that by far the highest consentraion is in Ethopia. Perhaps in the tens of percent of all leopards there...

Brett

one of us
posted Hide Post
When the game department sold about a decades worth of confiscated leopard skins about 12 years ago of the 750 plus skins, 20% were black. We've also taken a few black serval cat in the Omo. I also saw a black genet cat when passing through Mago PArk on my way back from Sala a few years back. This in broad daylight. In 1988 we took a normal serval and a black one within 5 minutes. This along the road from Mizan Tefari to Tepi.

BTW, that's a darned big black leopard.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Black serval (this photo was previously provided to me by Rich Elliott).

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Heath writes that he shot the leopard in the area between Adola and Negelli. Thats somewhere beyond Wando. Was supposed to have been full of black leopards...

Do those place names mean anything to you??

Brett

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brett,
The Communists changed a lot of names and the new gov't changed them again. Adola is probably Dodola which is about 15 miles west of Bale National Park. Our two areas where we have leopard on quota are apout 15 miles east of the park. Negeli is the extreme south end of those mountains. Heath was likely there because of the areas close proximation toi Kenya. The black leopard in AH II was taken along the Tepi road..the same place where I shot the black serval. Back in the 60's/70's most were hunted around Mizan Tefari.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett:
This came up in a discussion posted by Rich Elliot. The pitcure is of John Kingsley Heath with a pelt and skull from a black colored leopard shot in Ethopia. It is from "Hunting the Dangerous Game of Africa" by Heath. There is a long description of the hunt and Ethopia in general in the book.

Best regards;
Brett

[IMG:left][url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=376084&c=500&z=1"] [/url][/IMG]
hello there, i have been searching for ages of images of the rare melanistic leopard taken by trophy hunters and i was wondering if you have this image of john kingsley heath.if not, other than the trophy photo of nassos with the black leopard do you know where else i may find some