Find
Notify
Tools

African Predator Calls
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
Wasn't someone talking about predator calls in Africa and where to get such tapes?

(I searched, but couldn't find it.)

Anyone know where to get tapes of animals for calling in African predators?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
new_guy,

Tapes? Not to the best of my knowledge. CD's? Yes, there are a number of illegal copies (copies made without the approval of the copyright holder) going around.

From personal experience a good caller on which you can immitated a hurt rabbit works very well in the mouth of an experienced caller. There are scores of these available in USA. Want a word of warning, or advice? If you don't know african predators very well you would be better off with a hunting outfitter that includes varminting as a normal and natural service. It is true that virtually every Hunting Outfitter knows "something" about varminting. Very few really know how to get a client to propertly take a night time varmint.

Send PM if you wish to know more.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Andrew.

A mouth call would be beyond our abilities. I was thinking a cassette to pop in a player. I've found the usual rabbit recordings and even goats (kids) in distress. Any other suggestions?

I don't know how serious we'll be with the whole thing, it just seemed like a good opportunity to try and call in some of the "rats & mice" of the night.

I leave in a week. Any suggestions?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Are tape calls legal?? I don't think they are in Zimbabwe. We discussed it while I was there last year and if memory serves they said they were illegal.Don't know about other countries.
I would think Stewarts calls would be good for cats.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted Hide Post
I was in Africa this summer making some shows for the Outdoor Channel and the Mens Channel and we were us calls from "Extreme Wildlife Dimensions". They are electronic with digital quality. They also are wireless. No problems in or out of the RSA.
We called in an assortment of critters on several night hunts.

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
You might try the Foxpro FX3. Kinda spendy, but you can load up to 31 different sounds into it. They have an assortment of African calls (spring hare, jackal(4), Hyena, and princess bird). I believe that they are looking to add more.

Don't own one, but seriously thinking about it.

http://www.gofoxpro.com/main.htm

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to get a CD of wildlife/amimal sounds, such as lion, leopard , baboon etc.. where can I find one?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I found that Jackal would respond to US made calls.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had very good luck calling Jackal with a Circe jackrabbit call.

They come a runnin like the kibbles and Bits comercial!

I killed 5 in one day last time I tried it.