Find
Notify
Tools

Re: safari
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted
For hippo, buffalo and croc, I'd focus on the Luangwa Valley in Zambia, or the Zambezi Valley in Zimbabwe. The other option would be the Zambezi Delta in Mozambique.

Dande North and Chewore North are two good concessions in Zim, and there are a number of very good PH's who hunt there. I hunted with Buzz Charlton who is an excellent PH and a real good guy, check the African Hunt Reports forum for feedback. Buzz's Webpage John Sharp, who hunts these areas among others, is also highly regarded. John Sharp's Webpage

The Luangwa Valley has not been hunted the previous few seasons, so there is not as much info circulating. I just talked to the PH I'll be hunting with in a few weeks, and they are having an excellent season: buffalo (41, 42, 44, 45-inch and the rest 39-40"); 4-croc's over 13.5 feet; 4 for 4 on lion and leopard thus far. There are reported to be more croc's per kilometer on the Luangwa then anywhere else in Africa, and plenty of hippo. The concession is the Lower Lupande along the Luangwa River, across from one of the national parks. I'll do a full report in October.

Good luck!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bob,

I can most highly recommend 'Adam Clements Safari Trackers'. He hunts all of the countries that can provide your 'bag'. I have hunted with some of his PHs and can also attest to their quality.

Our hunt had possed several challenges for Adam, outside of his control at the time, and he was a man of his 'word' and came through with all that he said that he would. A considerable challange at best.

Quality, honesty, integrity & professionalism. If these words mean as much to you as they do to me, please consider giving him a call in your search. There are many good outfitters in the industry, and I do not discount them, I am only familiar with Adam and his crew and can recommend him without hesitation. There are those that are 'as good', but I feel that you will not find any better.
Adam: (866) 698-0077
www.safaritrackers.com

All the best in your search.

Cheers,

Sam

eclemmons@hotmail.com
(828) 754-0841

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are doing the right thing by planning ahead by a year or two for your trip. Most good outfitters book up pretty quickly each year.

All the countries you mentioned have what you are looking for on your "laundry list". I love Tanzania and you can certainly take two good buffalo there on a 10-day hunt. I did it last year on a 7-day trip. The problem with the other species (hippo, croc, etc.) is that Tanzania and most other countries require a 16, 21 or 28 day license/safari to harvest those animals. I "believe" that Botswana will be about the same. Almost all outfitters offer some type of 7-day "special" buffalo hunt. However, each country is different and each has it own set of regulations. A good bet is to contact a reputable outfitter/booking agent in the US and seek his advice.

Or, you can contact the outfitter directly in the country you want to hunt or his agent and try to work out a deal. I hunted with HHK outfitters from Harare, Zimbabwe on my first trip in 1998. They are an even bigger operation now with access to many hunting areas. There are excellent buffalo to be had there.

Last year, I hunted with Zuka Safaris in the LU2 block of the Selous game reserve. This is as fine as it gets in my opinion. I have booked with them again for 2005. It would be well worth your time to contact them about your desires and see what they can put together for you. You can contact Ryan Wienand or Chris Hatty through their website at www.zukaafrica.com. They are young guys but have several years experience in the safari business and run a "first-class" operation.

There are many good outfitters and destinations out there. Check with several of them before you make a decision. If possible, visit one of the shows next year, in Dalls/Ft. Worth, Reno or Harrisburg. You will be flooded with information then!

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote