THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Has Any Of You Got This Close To An Elephant?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has Any Of You Got This Close To An Elephant?
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
Yes the times I have shot one! Cool

Good Shooting

Carl frederik

Posts: 490 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of CHIDUMBU
posted Hide Post
Yes, many times...
They are amazing animals. PAC Zim, they know when they are being hunted. Tracking and destroying crop raiders is hugely exciting. Rarely are you after huge tuskers, mostly young bulls and sassy cows.

As dangerous game goes, jumbo are bottom of the list. Wounded buff terrify me the most, followed by leopard. (wounded).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was about 30 yards from three elephants in Zim. I was armed with a bow, but guide had a 458 Lott.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
One night next to my tent in the Selous.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two old friends that hunted had a bet. Who could put a postage stamp on a live elephants butt. Over the years they both made attempts in moments that seemed opportune. In talking to one of them maybe ten years ago I found out that the bet was never won, however both got extremely close to maybe an arms length or two from the elephant. When it came to actually getting a stamp stuck, they chickened out.

One night when I was a youngster, I was with my family and we were camping. Elephant were in the trees a couple hundred yards from us when we went into the tent to go to bed. A while later an elephant was silhouetted over us as he moved his trunk around over the top of the tent smelling us. We lay perfectly still and did not move. Perhaps a minute later he moved on. In the morning his footprints were perhaps three feet from our heads. He was perfectly quiet and we never heard him.

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The late George Limnios, a Sudanese of Greek extraction, had a safari outfit in the South of Sudan before the country fell so completely apart. Somewhat of a wild man, as the story goes, George took a client's bet that he wouldn't go pull a bull elephant's tail. He did and then ran downwind like hell.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
maybe 15 yards outside Hwange NP back in 1998.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
In a canvas topped 1940s style Jeep in India with driver, dad & mum in front. I was in the back with 2 Rangers in Mudumalai Tiger reserve in the 1970s.

It was summer with high dry grass and the driver stopped as we looked a herd of cow elephants (no tusks of course) and some calves.From the higher back seat I could see the road turning into the elephant herd further on in high grass.

My dad asked the driver to go forward without realising the turn in the road. The driver just obeyed the Boss and drove right into the herd. as we took the turn, dad said "Oh" and 3 cows came for the jeep from about 20 meters.

The driver stalled and the jeep engine started to cough. Dad yelled at the driver to goo,go, go and smacked him on the head.

As the driver stepped on the accelerator, the rangers were screaming and banging the side panel as we shot past. The 3 cows hit the road about 3 meters behind the jeep. I still remember feeling the dust, pebbles and body heat of the elephants even after 45+ years.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11208 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 2017 in Nuanetsi a young bull was less than 5 yards behind a blind that Rex Hoets and I were in. We didn't know he was there until he stepped on a stick. I think he was just curious. We were close to having a trunk in the blind with us.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Only when riding one at Vic Falls.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Same here. Both the wife and I had a nice ride. tu2

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a live one. Never close enough that they touched me.

Shot a few and stalked a few that were less than 10 yards away, but that's not the same as touching.

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been less than 10 yards many times.

One of the Osprey cameramen has a fascinating video. It was of Jonny Hulme’s tracker slipping up on a sleeping elephant. He pulls a tail hair out and runs like hell laughing the whole way.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I have been less than 10 yards many times.

One of the Osprey cameramen has a fascinating video. It was of Jonny Hulme’s tracker slipping up on a sleeping elephant. He pulls a tail hair out and runs like hell laughing the whole way.

Not as exciting as what happened to Roy Vincent.

We were in Chete one morning, and followed an elephant bull.

We found him, but he was about a hundred yards away, in very thick bush.

All we could see was his trunk as he fed.

Roy suggested that we should wait - 3 of us - while he goes to get a closer look at him.

We waited, and waited, and waited.

Then we could hear the elephant screaming and running.

We expected to hear a shot anytime.

The shot never came.

The elephant stopped screaming.

No sign of Roy.

We kept looking at each other wondering what might have happened.

Eventually Roy appeared, with a big smile on his face, his arms are bleeding, his shirt is torn to bits./

He said he got close to the elephant, the elephant smelled him, and charged.

He dived into a bush - it just so happens it was a thorn bush!

The elephant trunk was inches from him.

He said he was on the verge of shooting, when the elephant decide to leave.

No wonder he had a permanent smile on his face all day!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote