New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reasonable price???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What would be a reasonable price for a two buffalo hunt for ten days in tanzania for one hunter and one observer. Price would include day rate trophy fees govt fees and charter if needed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not more than US$20K. If you shop around, you can probably get it for $15K.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got a 14 day hunt in Zim last year all inclusive with two buffalo for 13,500. The same hunt quote for 2006 was 18000. For that price its time to see tanzania. Always wanted to see the Selous.

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
gunny,

Look at some of the Tanzanian outfitters' websites.

Daily Rate from $1,500-$1,750
Government Fee $100/Day
Observer $250/Day
Government Fee (Observer) $50/Day
License $450
Rifle Import Fee $250/per rifle
Dip/Pack/Export Fee $1,000 (minimum)
Trophy Fee (2 buffalo) $2,000 (approximate)
Charter $2,500 (minimum)

That gives you a ballpark figure of $25,000.

You will have to do some shopping to get it down to $20,000.

Regards,

Terry

P.S.
Based on what I saw at the Dallas Safari Show, the ZIM oufitters are raising their prices in 2006. Gone are the days when I went on an all inclusive bull elephant and buffalo deal for less than your 2006 price on two buffalo.

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Check out Wendell's website Hunters Quest

He's got some good prices on 10 day - two buff packages. When you add Observer Fees, you should get in at around $20,000 or there abouts.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Gunny,

I would be happy to send you a quote as well, should you decide on Tanzania.

Best,
Phil
www.go-on-safari.com

Professional Hunter - Tanzania

Posts: 88 | Location: So. Cal & Tanzania | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a cost estimate based on Jack Atcheson & Son's web page (this cost estimate is very similar to cost estimates I have gotten from Luke Samaras...I think the Atcheson's book for Luke Samaras, based on their web page) and they are very similar to what Pierr'e von Tonder offers, who Saeed has been hunting with the past couple of years in the Selous.

For a 10 day hunt in the Selous:
daily rate for 10 days.........$10,000
wildlife conc. fees for 10 days..$1000
hunting license >8 days...........$600
Concession fees for 10 days......$1000
dipping and packing for 10 days..$1000
trophy fee Buff #1................$750
trophy fee Buff#2.................$950
Subtotal thus far...............$15300
Add PG for 10 days in the Selous
zebra.............................$680
worthog...........................$400
wildebeest........................$495
impala............................$310
hartebeest........................$495
total for hunt..................$17680
costs not summarized by JA&S
airfare, hotels, tips............$4500
grand total
...............................$22,000+/-

Is this too far off the mark?

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not really, I probably wont shoot much in the way of plains game as the trophy room is full and Id rather spend my money on hunting than remodleing. As a matter of fact I wont need the dip and pack because four buffalo is all my house can hold.

one of us
Picture of T
posted Hide Post
T. Carr said
quote:
Based on what I saw at the Dallas Safari Show, the ZIM oufitters are raising their prices in 2006.

Heard that at Zimbabwe PH meeting it was announced that they are going to get there prices up there with Tanzania.

My outfitter friend told the ph relaying the story you guys need to quit smoking weed.
thumbdown

Better go now its not going to get cheaper bawling

Posts: 292 | Location: Tx | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
rwj,

When you add Charter Fees (at least $2,500) and Observer Fees (at least $2,500), that brings 10 days in the Selous (without plains game) to about $20,000.

That Daily Rate your quoting of $1,000/day is a good one. Most others are in the $1,500/day range.

Regards,

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry: You are right..I left out the charter flight (~$2500)..and I did leave off the the observer fees. And I think you are also right in that $1000/day rate is pretty competitive. In any case, this type of hunt will cost about the same as a modestly priced, mid-sided new pickup truck.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charter fees are always a killer. Just started hearing about train transfers. Also I suspect some areas are drivable such as those around Kilimanjero airport?? What areas are drivable from Dar or Arusha?

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
gunny,

No charter is needed if you are hunting around Arusha. Except for the concessions around Tarangire National Park (Luke Samaras has a concession there and Adam Clements books on two concessions there), I am not certain there are a lot of other buffalo areas in Masailand.

The train does go through the northern part of the Selous (from Dar es Salaam). If your outfitter's concession is not close to the northern part of the Selous, then it could be a very long drive to pick you up. Not sure many outfitters will make that drive as the roads (really tracks) in the Selous are not very good.

If your outfitter could arrange it, then you could cut your charter costs in half by having them pick up hunters on your arrival and deliver hunters on your departure.

Regards,

Terry

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T:
T. Carr said
quote:
Based on what I saw at the Dallas Safari Show, the ZIM oufitters are raising their prices in 2006.

Heard that at Zimbabwe PH meeting it was announced that they are going to get there prices up there with Tanzania.

My outfitter friend told the ph relaying the story you guys need to quit smoking weed.
thumbdown

Better go now its not going to get cheaper bawling

Several of the brochures I picked up had two separate price lists, one for 2005 and one for 2006.

Regards,

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Zim PHs must know something about Mugabe's health that we don't!

mike