New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zim parks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[quote]The fellows hunting SAVE and BUBYE- this will not apply to you as its private land. Quote
dancing
I'm scheduled in 2015 but you never know what will happen in 2 more years in the Save'.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Well to those of us of limited resources, I just dropped buffalo from my list and sticking with leopard and sable... provided they don't raise those as well to ridiculous levels. There goes another dream out of my bucket list; buffalo with a double. Anybody want to by a slightly used Verney-Carron 450NE??

Mad
So sad you will have to buy a Daisy instead rotflmo
[URL= ]buck[/URL] drop for iron sights

I have one as a matter of fact, but do carry on. You're Canadian right???

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I like a good open sights BB gun. I think too many people are dismissive of the skill and training that are required to be effective with a BB gun at 100 yards, particularly since a BB gun sighted in at 50 yards will shoot 16" high at 100 yards on Tuesdays when there is a full moon. My only issue is that it seems that the barrels simply get shot out too soon. Red Rider Rules!

Mike

Posts: 21675 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
MJines-

You must be off your meds. Everyone knows that the pump gun was the most accurate BB gun ever made. It will shoot well in the snow, if you video the shooting session, and will allow you to make the most outrageous statements about rifles, bullets, ballistics and everything there is to know about hunting africa. And if corrected you are allowed to make rude and abusive comments and call others who have more training, education and experience than yourself nasty names.

Of course, you wouldn't know any of this, since you don't live in Canada.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I screwed up my bb gun barrel shooting CEBs and NorthForks, so I'm down to a slingshot and DGXs.

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
No way I'll ever convince you guys of this without a picture or the actual rifle, but my favorite BB gun was a double. It had dual muzzle screw in magazines and cocked with a break open action. It was the first BB gun I owned actually capable of not bouncing a BB off a bird! Bagged my first bird with that gun. Love those doubles!!

No doubt however that the Range Rider, 200 shot, range model air rifle, with compass in the stock is the cats ass!! Unfortunately however, the barrel gets shot out within 20 or so "solid" BBs. Of course, much of that could be due to excessive cleaning after each shot. Also dependent on how bent the barrel is. Any chance those are actually manufactured by CZ? Whistling

Tyger: DGX seems the perfect projectile for a slingshot! sofa

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I can understand why y'all are having BB gun issues, BB guns take skill and practice to perfect. I guess there are just no BB gun shooters that have put in the effort like me to master the BB gun. Pity. One day maybe you will understand.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I never used BB guns. My dad started me with the Benjamin Air Rifle in 22 caliber and I never looked back. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:
Well to those of us of limited resources, I just dropped buffalo from my list and sticking with leopard and sable... provided they don't raise those as well to ridiculous levels. There goes another dream out of my bucket list; buffalo with a double. Anybody want to by a slightly used Verney-Carron 450NE??

Mad
So sad you will have to buy a Daisy instead rotflmo
[URL= ]buck[/URL] drop for iron sights

I have one as a matter of fact, but do carry on. You're Canadian right???

yep, the Montreal Moron...

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13392 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
O GREAT & WONDERFUL MJines please, please please pass your wisdom on to those of us lowly mortals that have yet to master their own Red Ryders.
This is fun.
My wife has a pink one.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
It all starts with proper stretching exercises and extensive video practice. Also the importance of a clean bore cannot be overemphasized. I recommend using billet polish to clean your BB gun. Most importantly, you need to be prepared to ignore time tested techniques and experiences. You need to be prepared to reject the suggestions and wisdom of other shooters . . . out of hand. Remember, to B a BB gun Bon Vivant, B prepared to Buck the BS espoused By BB gun Buffoons.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Priceless wisdom!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
It has only been in the past 25 years that the American middle class has been hunting africa. It was that middle class that actually revived the safari industry (and the double rifle industry) as the word spread among american deer and elk hunters that we could actually afford to fly halfway around the world and hunt exotic game in africa without going into debt or denying our family.

We may be witnessing the beginning of the end of safari as it has evolved over the past two and a half decades. The closing of Zambia and Botswana, the move to up list the CITES status of Lion, the unrestrained poaching of Rhino, the doubling of trophy fees and the U.N. move to restrict import/export of sporting firearms all bode ill for the survivability of safari as we've known it.

Cheers beer Be glad you had the opportunity to do it.

Will the closures in Botswana and Zambia and the increased trophy fees in Zimbabwe have a significant impact on the value of our double rifles? Your thoughts?

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
The problem, as I explained, goes beyond simply Zambia and Botswana. A cogent, unemotional examination of many factors currently at play on the world stage need to be reviewed, if a responsible analysis is to be made.

JMO, but if things continue on the downward spiral for african hunting, I would expect a crash in the DR market and the associated de-valuation of existing DRs. Older DRs will continue to have collectors value but the revival of new ones will slow dramatically and/or stop altogether for some manufacturers. Ammunition and component makers will delete the DR ammo and brass from their catalogs as demand diminishes. Many of the different calibers of rifles and ammo currently available will cease to exist. This will not be an overnight phenomenon but will occur over time.

This has all happened before.

Many will argue and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but informed analysis is what should be examined.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote