Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2018 Apprenticeship
 Login/Join

posted
My name is Max Delezenne. I am French and my passion is hunting.

I took a flight to South Africa when I was 15 years old and started some sort of working holidays in a game farm for 3 months. In between my high school studies, I continued these working holidays for 5 consecutive years both in SA and Namibia. It was the best thing that happened to me as to grow as a Man and experience the reality of life.

I decided then to study Law which was not for me, worked a bit in between as a real estate agent and eventually took the decision of becoming a Professionnal hunter. I found out about a PH course in South Africa within the Southern African Wildlife College ran by Dr Kevin Robertson so there I went for 18 month in the Kruger Park. I learnt so much about the theory behind the art of hunting and guiding. Classes in the morning and stalks on big game in the afternoon were my routine over there. Most importantly, I got to learn and understand the reality behind hunting and conservation - as well as why ethics should reflect on any of my decision making.

As to validate this PH certificate, it is required to accumulate 500 hours of hunting in the bush. An apprenticeship after the course that would teach me the difference between the theory and the practical side of a hunt. By the way, it would also teach me that without extreme hard work, nothing can be accomplished. These words coming out of my South African mentor Pieter Nel became so valid throughout the year 2018.

In february 2018, I contacted Alex Rogl from Otjiruze Safaris and worked for a period of 3 months in a magnificient game farm in which I hunted most of the common plains game as well as leopards, brown hyenas… A valuable experience in a concession that I know for a long time now, managed by wonderful people. The trophy quality is amazing and I’d recommend any beginner hunter interested in plains game hunting to contact them for a lifetime experience.

However, the real game started in July 2018. I landed in Harare as to start an apprenticeship with Buzz Charlton and Myles McCallum from CM safaris. Dr Robertson had told me that if i wanted a true african experience as to improve myself both as a human being and hunter, this was the company to contact and ask for elephant hunting experience. Because yes, to me, there is nothing more rewarding, exciting, humbling… than hunting elephant. I just love it.

Anyway, the first step was for me to be sent to an anti-poaching patrol with the DAPU. I thus spent 10 days in the bush looking for snares and poachers signs – we recovered 11 snares. I drank the nastiest water ever, ate sadza and beans for the whole patrol, slept in between elephants and lions but damn this was one of the best experience.

The effort provided by the rangers only depends on how important they feel their tasks are, even though Buzz and Myles dilligently provide the management behind it, hunters are also the reason for this Unit to continue giving their best in their entreprise. The other issue is that, due to the economical situation in Zimbabwe, there are too many people coming back to the rural lands thus poaching pressurizes the wildlife making the ethical and sustainable hunting difficult to keep alive without an effective anti-poaching unit. What CMS and DAPU do is that they preserve an order in the bush where poachers don’t see a chance of actually improving their lifestyle by destroying the animals but a risk too high to take and I reckon this is what we need to install in their mind. I’ll put a link at the bottom where you’ll be able to see the achievements the DAPU has managed to do thanks to the hunters going on a safaris with CMS.

I then went on a hunt with Myles McCallum in which we bagged a buffalo bull and a tuskless. First elephant hunt for me, and I absolutely loved it. I have to mention the fact that there is a massive difference in elephant behavior between the ones we find in the South African lowveld and the ones in the Dande. They are so wild and so wary that it becomes so difficult but nonetheless so exciting to search for them. I learnt a lot from Myles McCallum and I thank him for giving me this opportunity – what a great PH and a kind person.

My father and his friend wanted to visit me so I booked them an elephant/buff hunt. Only my father was successfull in taking out a decent 30 pounders ele bull after endless hours of tracking under the unbearable zimbabwean sun. What a rewarding hunt and what an experience to share with my own dad. His friend was not as successful, using a 9,3x62 and RWS evo ammunition his bullet got deflected onto a twig and the dagga boy got away with no damage at all. Please let me know what do you think about this caliber specifically for buffalo hunting as I personnaly reckon this is not enough gun.

Shortly after, I was sent to Nyakasanga – a concession in the Zambezi Valley that reminded me why Africa is the most gorgeous place on earth. A tented camp by the Zambezi river, an archaic atmosphere and an environment which will give you the best sightings on this type of adventure. I am entirely convinced that seeing lions, buff and elephants on a daily basis is the result of hunters deciding to take a responsibility in Conservation through the regulation and utilization of the wildlife when they come and hunt in Africa.
Also amazing fishing on the river where crocs and hippos participate in the magic. To be honest I don’t even know what to write anymore because you really have to live it to understand how great this area is. I accompanied the hunting party with Buzz and Eric Peterson. We bagged an excellent buffalo, a massive warthog and also a very good Sharpe’s Grysbok. What a hunt again.

I then participated in the best hunt ever. I accompanied Mike Jines and Buzz Charlton on a 14 days safari in which we bagged 3 elephants, 1 buffalo, 1 klipspringer, 1 bushpig and 1 Eland. I won’t go through the details as Mike Jines already wrote here a fantastic report about this hunt but I’d like to point out some things. Without excellent trackers, a devoted and hard working professional hunter who knows how to communicate and take the right decision as well as a ambitious and always joyful client not afraid of walking 30 km a day ; the safari would have been unsuccesful. I mean here that I think dedication is key for success. I enjoyed every single bit of this hunt, climbing up the mountains to find a fine klipspringer, seeing Mike Jines dropping down a bushpig with his .500 NE, observing Buzz Charlton communicating to his client with precision and humor, being at close quarter to a tuskless knocked out by the very good shooting of Mike Jines which prevented me from using my gun !
Now that I am back in South Africa for awhile after a fascinating period as an Apprentice I miss every single moment I shared with these mentors. Except the Tse Tse flies – I don’t miss them at all.

I truely think that CMS offer the best african adventure in Zimbabwe simply because you will do an ethical hunt. I canno’t thank them enough for all that I learnt over there and as an PH apprentice this experience made me grow so much as to become a real professionnal. I have seen with my own eyes that this industry is darkened by crooks and lazyness – both of which you’ll never experience with CMS. And they are great people with a real understanding of sustainable utilization which I think as hunters we should aspire to keep alive.

Eventually, and this is what matters to me the most : I learnt how to effectively become a professionnal hunter while doing my apprenticeship both in Namibia and Zimbabwe. I am now ready to guide and continue learning about the mystery of the African bush as well as maintaining a mindset made of Conservation, respect and sustainability.

I am also now looking for opportunities to work – anywhere in Africa even though I’d be keen to help english speaking clients in western african countries where it is sometimes difficult to make it through. I will leave my e-mail address at the bottom, please if you’d like to contact me about work opportunities, hunting in France, some more details about namibia or zimbawe feel free to do. I will answer to you shortly. We can even discuss about wine – another field I am quite familiar with !

I thank you very much for your time granted to me during your reading and I wish you all the best for the next hunting adventures anywhere in the world.

Max Delezenne
delezenne.saf@live.fr

http://dapuzim.com/

https://www.otjiruze.com/en/

http://www.cmsafaris.com/

Conservation through Sustainable Utilization

Posts: 3 | Location: FRANCE | Registered: 15 April 2018Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Max,

What a great story.

We wish you the best of luck.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68781 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was a pleasure having you as a student Max, and may I wish you all the best for the future in your chosen career.

Posts: 151 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 30 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Max,

Your story is a great one . . . a young man that knows in his heart what he wants to do and who has committed himself fully to realizing his dream. You know you have my full support.

There are a couple of things Max failed to mention though. One, he is delightful company . . . gracious, witty, inquisitive and intelligent. Two, he works tirelessly to help everyone on the team, whether it is something as simple as getting the client a bottle of water or something as physical as helping the crew cut a recovery road through the jess. What he lacks in experience he more than makes up for with his attitude.

Best of luck Max it was a pleasure to hunt with you.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Godspeed Max tu2

P.S. 9.3x62 with proper bullet is fine caliber and enough gun for buffalo.

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Max! It was a pleasure to spend time with you at the Pedza camp and also tiger fishing. I'll echo what Mike Jines says above and add that I'd be happy to serve as a client reference if needed. Best of luck!

Lee

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Max,

Great story; I will be posting a hunt report of the hunt in Nyakasanga that Max mentioned.

Max was a pleasure to hunt and share camp with and was a tremendous help in all aspects of the trip. I know my hunting partners and I will always remember the campfires we shared.

Max, your attitude and work ethic will serve you well.

Best of luck,

Eric

Posts: 15 | Location: Mead, Colorado | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bonnes chasses et bonne chance.

i did that when i was young and in CAR. those were the days ....

Posts: 1876 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mouse93:
Godspeed Max tu2

+1

Posts: 1876 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Max

It was CMS and in particular my pleasure having you involved in our little operation. I ecco all the positive comments from everyone here that met and hunted with you.

Good luck on the pass out at the colledge and I know that our paths will certainly cross again in the Valley or at least over a good glass of red wine! Keep in touch my friend! Cheers for now Buzz

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Max,

Great read and wish you well. As long as you continue to have that kind of passion you will go far in this industry.

Bonne Chasse,

Clark

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Good luck, Max. I hope you achieve your dreams.

~Ann

Posts: 19560 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun
Good for you Max to do this while you young
When you get older, you will really appreciate the memories of being young and doing adventurous thing
Stay alive is good motto

PS. Next thing you gotta experience is North American wilderness
One thing about Rocky mountain region , you don’t need any government paperwork
You just come and do adventures you wanna do, you can purchase fairly inexpensive hunting license, borrow gun and voila, head out
Again, just stay alive
Just contact me and come visit, it’s that simple

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Max, Thanks for the great post. You will do well, I think. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3406 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great report. Wish you all the best. Be safe and have a great adventure in your chosen career.

I have never hunted buffalo, but the late Ganyana hunted hundreds of them them with a 9.3X62. The problem is the RWS bullet. I have been reading about the poor performance of these bullets in Africa for decades. These bullets are designed for European hunting. Even old hunting stories from the 1940s onwards show how often these bullets fail on dangerous game.

The 9.3X62 with Woodleigh 286gr or Barnes TSX 286 gr and other premium bullets like CEB, Nothfork, Swift A frame etc should work well.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11245 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Inspiring post, Max! Best of luck in your career. The best advice I ever gave my children was to follow their passion and not chase the dollar; the money will come somehow and if you do what you love, you'll never spend a day at work.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Max:

you're off to a great start. Don't back
down now! Know ahead that you'll never
know everything there is about the hunting
games. Keep an open mind, eye's and ears to keep you out of trouble when it happens.

Best wishes for a great life. Hope to read more from and about your hunting adventures.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6019 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had some great experiences. Perhaps you might hunt in Australia for our Buffalo one day. There are some Opperaters here that might have a place avaliable.
Swift A Frames from the 9.3 Can be quite efficient killers of Buffalo.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I thank you all for your replies!

There are precious pieces of advice for me.

Cheers!

Conservation through Sustainable Utilization

Posts: 3 | Location: FRANCE | Registered: 15 April 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A word of advice Max:

Gain experience in the trade then start your own business as an outfitter/operator.
Play the PH by all means if you must, but keep it on a "pastime" level.

Posts: 2046 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It certainly is. The only corollary to that would be that legality on buffalo in Zimbabwe depends on the muzzle energy. It must make 5.3kJ, but with the right ammo that is not a problem. The late Don Heath carried the 9.3 just about everywhere.

quote:
Originally posted by mouse93:
Godspeed Max tu2

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Max, I really enjoyed reading that story! It's great to see that kind of drive and commitment, and as you have clearly found your calling, I wish you the best of luck!

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Great story! It’s nice to see young men with a passion pursue their dreams. I wish you much success and a long career.

Posts: 3915 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote