Find
Notify
Tools

Zambia
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Terry or any other!!

Have you been to Mumbwa GMA East and West. If so tell me about SWAN/Scan Camp and conditions.
I am going there on June 22. Mainly Kudu, etc,
But will try for a Buff in Mumbwa West,

Sprig

Rose lipped maidens--light foot lads!!!

Posts: 448 | Location: Okie City | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Sprig,

Haven't been there, but Mumbwa is reported to be one of the best concessions in Zambia. Plus, that is Swan/Scan's concession, so they will have their own camp, staff and equipment in place. You won't have the same problems I had in the Selous a few years back.

Swan/Scan has a long history in Zambia and has a vested interest in that concession since they have the exclusive long term rights to it. Plus you will be using the same camps, staff and equipment that all their big-named clients' use. Wink

Who is your PH?

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave Rademeyer. How bad is the fly problem and how do I combat them.

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Great PH from what I hear, plus he is a ZIM trained PH, best trained/qualified PHs in the world IMO.

Drop Bill C an email re: the flies. He hunted Zambia last season. Be sure and take a headnet (and several as gifts for the trackers).

Email me if you need Bill's email address.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,,

How do I get your e-mail address?

Thanks Sprig

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Click on T.Carr at the upper left of any of my posts. Then click on "Public Profile" and click on my email.

Bill C hunted with a different outfitter in Zambia but he should be able to tell you about the flies. Plus, he is a wealth of information about Africa hunting in general.

Regards,

Terry

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Sprig,

A few sources for headnets:

Sportsmansguide

Campmor

You want a headnet that you can put in your pocket (like those above) not one that has a hat or wires. When walking the flies will be less of an issue. When you stop, they will drive you crazy, so you just pull out your headnet from your pocket and put it on.

Take some as gifts for the trackers, they will appreciate it.

Regards,

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry, Thanks for the headnet post. I love this web site. Great for a first timer.

Sprig

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Sprig,

I bought headnets and a bug jacket for the Selous and saw maybe 10 tsetse flies the whole time (apparently the northern parts of the Selous don't have as many tsetse as other parts). Never used the headnets or bug jacket.

Then went off to the Zambezi Valley and didn't take the headnets. Not many tsetse flies, but those damn Mopane flies will drive you crazy. I would have given $500 for a headnet.

Regards,

Terry

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Carr:
Bill C hunted with a different outfitter in Zambia but he should be able to tell you about the flies.
Terry

Terry, didn't Bill C hunt with Wes Hixon,s outfit, useing the PH Peter Chipman, in the Lower Lupande of the Luangwa Valley? If so I can tell you the Tsetse flies will be pleantiful! Cutter will not phase them, there is a product that is a combination sunscreen, and skin lotion, called "SKIN SO SOFT" but I don't remember who makes it. Works about as well as anything for the bugs, but take a lot of it! This is a maleria area so don't forget your maleria meds!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Bullsprig - reply as emailed, per your email:

Larry, I don't know the area, just the Luangwa Valley which is east of the Kafue.

At one point I had talked to Doug about lion hunting in Mumbwa, and he said that the buffalo typically come out of the park and that the hunting is better earlier in the season, providing there was a good rainy season that year. This was a year or so ago, and it may not be accurate. But something to ask about (Are there resident buffalo, or do they wonder in from the park, and if so, is this the right kind of the year and/or does it depend on the rains?). I have the impression that it is an excellent area.

Reg the tsetse's, I don't know what they are like there. In general, April-June and again Sept-Oct or worse I believe then "mid winter". The Avon Skin So Soft lotion (not the spray, www.avon.com, do a search for "bug") is good and will keep most flies off (if they are indeed bad there). Don't wear dark clothes (they are attracted to dark colors so I am told), and keep the goop on exposed areas and the "sweet spots" (back of neck, ankles above sock line, calf if wearing shorts). I always get nailed, but with this stuff on, the PH was taking all the hits for once.

Dave Rademeyer is a great guy. Full of energy, not over-bearing or drill-sergeant mentality, but hard working and tireless. Good dry sense of humor. Very professional, and will be an absolute gentleman to your wife. I hope to hunt w/him one day. His email is: Daveroders@hotmail.com if you don't already have it. I would track him down maybe by talking to Sandy in S&S's Texas office and get a phone call with Dave while he is in the States for the SCI show. He knows the area better then anybody.

And...good luck w/the hunt!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
The Avon lady sells the SKIN SO SOFT sunscreen/bug repellant lotion. No, I'm not kidding.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7533 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote