Find
Notify
Tools

SA How Good
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who has hunted with Andrew McLaren ?
And would you give the good and the bad if any .
I'm starting to plan my first one and want as much of the African experiance as pos.
Thanks
Also please give names of others you would hunt with.

Posts: 60 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: 09 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
i hunt with african hornbill safaries with Louis Fouche as ph and outfitter its a very good setup and plenty of game if you want more info pm so i can give his details

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I have read on this forum, he offers what are known as "Tarmac Safaris"..ie he hunts several properties in order to get the client a decent selection of trophies. This is fine provided this is what you expect or want. But even in SA, it's not necessary to relocate to be able to hunt a diverse range of species, within reason. Driving around from place to place can add some variety to the hunt but it takes time and cuts down on the time available for hunting or just being afield. If you book with an operation that owns or has access to a large property, you can hunt for 7 or 10 days in one place and not get bored. I advise clients to accept no more than two properties (not counting adjacent properties which don't require a road trip to access) and these should be no more than 4 hours by road from one another. Anything more and you are going to cut into your hunting time.

I make this distinction as folks who have never been to Africa don't have a frame of reference and may not even think about this aspect when booking a hunt.

Other than that Andrew seems to be a standup guy. Again, from what I have read. No personal experience.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2929 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am currently hunting with Andrew Mclaren. I have taken an excellent Bontebok and will be hunting a few more animals on my list. This is my 6th trip to S. Africa. Andrew is down home person and will do his best to give you what want. He has gone above and beyond what I expected. Yes, you do ranch hunting but you are also getting the best possible trophy this way. I would not hesitate to recommend him. He will cater your hunt to the style of hunting you want.

Brooks

Posts: 179 | Location: Virginia, NE. USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My top trophy wish really, big Kudu be willing to hunt long and hard and pass alot,to find just the right one. Really don't want to leave Africa without him.

Posts: 60 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: 09 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B Watson:
My top trophy wish really, big Kudu be willing to hunt long and hard and pass alot,to find just the right one. Really don't want to leave Africa without him.

Ranch hunt or not, I wouldn't expect any guarentee that I'm going to shoot a particular anmal or a particular size if the hunt is fair chase.

I'm sure there are areas with high densities of Kudu where you could have the best chance though.

Rgds,

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi B Watson

I went hunting with Andrew last July and what I can tell you is that as a French hunter with no beforehand experience of hunting in South Africa, I thought Andrew was definitely the right person. I had a wonderful time with him and some fellow hunters and we all were very happy with our trophies (some of which are, no doubt about it, truly exceptional) but I will not bother you with my stories.
In short, Andrew is second to no one when it comes to choosing the right animal and whether
shooting conditions are appropriate. Range hunting is not what I was used to and I can very well imagine that it can be done in an unethical way. With Andrew we went on several fantastic farms and at the end of each day I had no doubts the chase had been a fair one.
Andrew is also a very down to earth and knowlegeable person and I considered hunting with him is as a privilege.

All the best for you plans

Karolos

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
B -

As you can read in the hunt report linked above, I had a great hunt with Andrew. Like Russ pointed out, Andrew does hunt several properties in order to chase the critters you want. I actually enjoyed that, as I got to see three distinct habitat zones in SA. Yeah, we had to travel a bit, but that was part of the fun for me.

I had already taken a kudu in Namibia, so another wasn't on my ticket. I'm not sure what Andrew can offer there, but I do know that he'll be honest and up front with you about the chances of getting what you want. If he says it, you can believe it in my experience.

I had such a nice time there that I'm trying to set up another trip next year for some of the animals I didn't get to chase.

Feel free to PM if you need more information.

Troy

Posts: 3299 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hello !
I have been hunting with Andrew Mc larens safaris during last summer (July) ! It has been wonderful. I felt like in my own family ! Hunting was excellent, nice animals, nice trophies, very ethical hunt....
please ask me all the questions you want, I will be pleased to answer them.
Ghislain

GH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Really big Kudu aren't kicked out behind every bush. Although I have no doubt Andrew will bust his nuts for you, don't hold him to a tape measure. Rather just enjoy the hunt and take the best you are offered. It'll be a GREAT hunt nonetheless. Kudu hunting is champagne stuff!

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about Cruiser Safaris anybody hunted with them

one of us
posted Hide Post
You want a record Kudu, your willing to hunt hard and you want a fair chase hunt, and you don't want to leave Africa without one.

That is a pretty big order unless you have a world of time and money.

Be careful, as too many hunters go to Africa with unreasonable expectations, and totally ruin there own hunt. Enjoy your hunt, enjoy the beatiful land, don't let the tape ruin it.

What you should be willing to accept is a PH that will do his level best to help you achieve your goals, but don't be upset it that does not happen,

If a PH can "guarentee" your request then I would suggest you put as much distance between him and you as possible because you just got ripped off or your hunting in a small piece of fenced land and your kudu has probably been named by his kids...

Kudu are traveling creatures and they come and go over great distances, here today and gone tomorrow, more so than any animal I know short of elephants..I have seen the same Kudu over 100 miles apart.

For what its worth....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42090 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"I have seen the same Kudu over 100 miles apart."

In South Africa?

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WHOOOA hold on boys did I say anywhere in my post that I was chasing a tape!! I have an expectation of myself to be able to pass on any Kudu that dosn't live up to what I want, he don't have to be 50+. It would be nice if he was.And not to far fetched to find one of that quality. But I know that they don't grow on tree's If the horns are shaped just so and he is mature , he's getting 180gr air mail.And if I have to hunt long and hard and pass -so be it.

PS Three guys walk in to a bar there is a blond ,brunett, and a redhead setting there .Each guy ask's a diffrent girl to dance witch one has the better looking girl.

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Just a bit of general information pertaining to hunting and measurements.

When you go to Africa or anywhere for that matter there are a couple of golden rules ...

1) Hunting is not or should not be considered like supermarket shopping, basically we dont know until we actaully get to a particualar supermarket what products might be on the shelves or in what sizes.

2) Also remember, when someone says where are the best or biggest trophies, again the simple answer is ... WHERE YOU FIND THEM

So go over with an open mind, a wallet with some money in it, and dont get tooooooo hung up on the size of your tape measure, as we say you are not shopping in a supermarket, you are hunting in Africa, you may not always get the trophy size you had in mind or all the species on your shopping list

Happy huntin, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I DIDNOT MAKE MYSELF CLEAR SOUNDS LIKE MOST PEOPLE ARE HOOKED ON A TAPE i AM NOT ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE PLEASE REREAD MY POST ABOVE

My hope is to get a great Kudu thats MY dream!
Crap I say I want a good animal and everybody assumes that I'm chasing a tape .
I'm not the type to go to South Africa and WHACK everything my list is short 5 animals all together. Those animals rep Africa to me .
I have seen and killed most of the spec they have over 25yrs of guiding clients for those type of animals . This will be I hope my first of many trips to Africa . Some people go to get one or more of the big 5 all I want to do is hunt and enjoy the experiance .

PLEASE somone tell me why my wish for my safari is diffrent from anybody else's .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also I'm looking for the outfitter that will give me the African exper that I have dreamed of . don't want the Karoo, or the Cape It's Africa but not the Africa in my head, Limpopo is!
OK off my soap box now.

One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted Hide Post
BWatson,
I went with Neil Barnard of NB Safaris in the Limpopo region. Perfect. Everything I ever dreamed of. Reasonably priced for what I got. Accomodations were 5 Star. Food 5 star. Neil is the consummate professional, ethical hunter. Taught me a lot about Africa between taking BIG trophy animals. I will definitely go back to Neil. www.nbsafaris.co.za

Let me know if I can help you in any way.
Trophyman

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI
California Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
Drive a 69 Chevelle SS396

Posts: 145 | Location: Bakersfield, CA. | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have hunted with Andrew McLaren at least six times in Africa and in Alaska. I strongly advise you to hunt with somebody like Andrew for your first trip. Hunting in a number of areas will give you a much better understanding about the country and the diverse habitats you will hunt. Andrew will work his tail off for you, feed you well and make sure you are comfortable. I have taken a room full of trophies with Amdrew and over half of them were Rowland-Ward eligible. Three years ago our party harvested several outstanding kudu - one in the high fifties. No guarantees but If you are willing to get out and hunt along side Abdrew, he will put you on the animals. Be ready to walk and stalk so you can be proud of how you took your trophies. I am aware that other huters will take many of the trophies from a vehicle and the game was bought at auction and released just before the hnter arrived. Andrew has always provided me with opportunities to hunt game reared on the location we hunted. Others may brag about the "tape" but I am most proud of the memories Andrew has provided - a baboon drinking from the toilet in my tent at daylight (I was afraid it was a leopard in there with me), meeting his family and shooting doves over sunflower fields like the old days in the Rio Grande, helping to cull old springbok and blesbok on the family farm, enjoying the sundowners at evening, laughing at Andrew grabbing a caracal that his dog was fighting and not being able to put it down.... You don't get to know Africa as a pampered guest but as a friend and member of the extended family. Go with Andrew and enjoy the personal touch. Others may have better facilities and more servants waiting on you or a better wine selection at dinner but that isn't how I enjoy hunting. It's me and Andrew and the bush on our own two feet after the game.

Posts: 4 | Location: Alaska, Africa, Western US | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
B Watson,

How about this,

quote:
Ladies and Gents,

A good oppertunity is presenting itself to hunt a trophy Kudu bull on an unfenced farm in South Africa.

The hunt will take place on our land. It is Game fenced on one boundary, but the rest is "open" bush veldt, with no high game fences. Currently there is about 7 trophy bulls that can be hunted, that we know about, ranging from 48-58"

This hunt will only be of interest to a certain type of hunter. The accommodation will be very basic, with NO luxuries.

The Kudu will be hunted on foot, tracking them.

Success is not at all garuanteed, but the hunt will be very rewarding.

Other Game to be hunted on the same land is Impala, Warthog, Duiker, and Steenbok.

Because of the lack of fascilities and luxury, the hunt is offered at a day rate of only $200.00 per day, and the trophy fee for the Kudu is $1900.00. I know it is high, but you gain on the day rates, and this is a special hunt. Dates available in July/August 2008.

Please e-mail me at info@ifinito-safaris.com
]

From infinito safaris and here the link if you would like to view the post. I'm sure Charl mentioned that the farm is close to Alldays which is deep inside Limpopo province.

Kudu hunt with infinito

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Msichana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B Watson:
Maybe I DIDNOT MAKE MYSELF CLEAR SOUNDS LIKE MOST PEOPLE ARE HOOKED ON A TAPE i AM NOT ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE PLEASE REREAD MY POST ABOVE

My hope is to get a great Kudu thats MY dream!
Crap I say I want a good animal and everybody assumes that I'm chasing a tape .
I'm not the type to go to South Africa and WHACK everything my list is short 5 animals all together. Those animals rep Africa to me .
I have seen and killed most of the spec they have over 25yrs of guiding clients for those type of animals . This will be I hope my first of many trips to Africa . Some people go to get one or more of the big 5 all I want to do is hunt and enjoy the experiance .

PLEASE somone tell me why my wish for my safari is diffrent from anybody else's .

I completely understand B! I got a Kudu in SA. He wasn't HUGE... about 43", but i loved him. He was a great representation of the species. I was sooooo happy with him because it was the experience of hunting him, not his size.

Posts: 122 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 20 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
B Watson; Dont worry, we understand what you are talking about , you like a representative trophy of the specie, not a baby, hugly or a canned sci gold medal monster.
Put enfasis in the place !!!, fenced or not (free land) the land extension, and how many time you will be hunting, is very easy to finish hunting a canned trophy inside a corral in Africa if you go to the wrong place and a $$$ PH.

I agree with Atkinson:
" If a PH can "guarentee" your request then I would suggest you put as much distance between him and you as possible because you just got ripped off or your hunting in a small piece of fenced land and your kudu has probably been named by his kids...

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I like the attitude of a gentleman I hunted Africa who claimed that every animal he shot was a record. When asked if it was Rowland Ward and he replied no! Its my personal record animal and I'm damn proud of it! I feel sorry for those driven individuals who can only enjoy a hunt when the lmit is taken or a record book trophy is obtained. What a shame they can't enjoy the splendor of the outdoors and the pleasure of the company of sportsmen. Any game taken is a bonus not a mark of success.

Posts: 4 | Location: Alaska, Africa, Western US | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like the attitude of a gentleman I hunted Africa who claimed that every animal he shot was a record. When asked if it was Rowland Ward and he replied no! Its my personal record animal and I'm damn proud of it! I feel sorry for those driven individuals who can only enjoy a hunt when the lmit is taken or a record book trophy is obtained. What a shame they can't enjoy the splendor of the outdoors and the pleasure of the company of sportsmen. Any game taken is a bonus not a mark of success.

Amen!!! thumb

I too am not a 'limit' fanatic as the bench mark of a good day out

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote