New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mark Sullivan
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is Mark Sullivan still hunting in Tanzania? I know he catches flack for his films but people I have met who hunted with him enjoyed the experience. yanks

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
I think that is where he hunts exclusively isn't it? I have only seen the preview video off of his website, and I have to say the guy has balls of steel.

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
quote:
the guy has balls of steel

and a head full of rocks...

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Mark's still at it. I've hunted with him before, and I'm hunting with him again this season.

Zero, what you need to do is come out of hiding and tell him so, right to his face......

AD

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Allen, I have spoken with Mark several times in the past. I can assure you that I have no plans to hunt with him...

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Ljs: DO a search on this forum on this topic and you'll find more posts that you'll be able to read in a lifetime. Arguably, he is the "Weatherby" of PHs, in that people either love him or hate him. Those in the hate column I'll venture to say have never hunted with him and base their views solely on the content of his videos. I think some lose sight of the fact that the videos were made to make money and as such, certain procedural dogma were violated to boost sales.

I've never hunted with him, but I have met him and he struck me as a very intense and focused gent, just whom I would like to have at my side when the chips are down, but that is just what I think.

One thing I can say as factual is that everybody who's hunted with him says he is a great PH and he does have a great repetitive clientele, Allen Day who posts here is an example and if Allen says he is a great PH, well, that's all I need to know. They just don't come any more sincere and truthful than him. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sat in the seat behind him on a palne one time. At the time I had never heard of him and did not know him from Adam. He was a evry nice guy and politley answered a million questions from a drunk guy who did know who he was and would not shut up. I remeber thinking how gentlemanly he was through it all.

I have never seen his videos and I have no intention of starting to watch hunting videos. All I can speak to is that he was a nice guy in a social setting

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've met Mark on a couple of occasions and will say he is very intense and focused person. I don't care for his BS philosophy of letting the animal decide, but would gladly have him at my shoulder anytime the shit hits the fan...the guy can shoot, has no fear and is an exceptional hunter. Pretty good qualities for a PH, IMO.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I don't believe it. The one video, when the shit hit the fan (wounded buff in the long grass), they were all in the back of the Cruiser. Having a half dozen guns aimed a buff that is deciding how to die is not "no fear."

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19361 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He should really start using a 45/70 double jump

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
One instance, where he did something many PHs will do in a situation like that. Guess everyone sees things differently.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Minkman:
He should really start using a 45/70 double jump

He may be crazy, but he's not a fool. Big Grin

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
I don't believe it. The one video, when the shit hit the fan (wounded buff in the long grass), they were all in the back of the Cruiser. Having a half dozen guns aimed a buff that is deciding how to die is not "no fear."

It would be interesting if someone asks MS about his fight with Pano.

The rumor on that incident suggests that to get two charging buffalo, he had to wound over 20 buffalo - which apparently went to die in places where they DID decide how to die - long grass - and those with no balls could not follow them for the Hollywood video part.

Will,

What film is the episode you mention is in?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68662 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Nice guy or not... it's a BS "philosophy" (letting the animal decide) and IMO he only does it to sell videos.

If his motives were true to heart, he wouldn't be in the video business - he'd just be content in letting the animal "decide" with his clients and he and not capitalizing on the sales of the footage - period.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't mind seeing one of his videos just to get a better idea of how he hunts. However I have a sneaking suspicion that I would come away with the same impression I already have...he's crazy Smiler

--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

One of Us
Picture of Sodakhntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
If his motives were true to heart, he wouldn't be in the video business

Eastman, Bear and many others captured their hunts on video for the world to see.

Ted

Posts: 152 | Location: China Spring, Texas | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Eastman, Bear and many others captured their hunts on video for the world to see.

Yes, but did every animal Fred Bear shot on film end in a charge?

I think you're missing my point. IMO, Sullivan is in the "video business" and facilitates this business with a PH license and unethical practices.

He would be like the others if he hadn't fist put out a video of charges, and then continued to force animals to charge him so that they could be caught on film and furthering his financial gain.

It's a question about intentions and one being a means to a predermined end.

He "hunts" to get a charge and capture it on film, for the simple reason that it's the "sex" that sells... he doesn't simply film hunts and present the hunts as the others do/did.

get it?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now you folks have me interested. Someone who inspires that depth of feeling on both sides of the coin should be an interesting person. I think I will watch a couple of his videos now.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
i guide dangerous hunt here in argentina boar hunting with knife water buffalo with rifle pistol or bow and cougars.i think as a ph that if a clients wants danger and a charge you can provide that.for exmple my last client andre flor or jffery denmark wants extreme danger and he killed a russian boar at knigth in a corn field without ligth and only 2 dogos after runnig 3o minuts,its ethical to provide the adventure the client wants.juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I published before,I watched about 5 of his tapes/DVD's.All extremely to very interesting.Full of african lore the way an armchair hunter pictures it,suspense,potential danger,education about the setup.
MS is not stupid,he approaches the downed beast from the safest angle,I have not seen him wounding an animal to get a charge,he only intervenes from a "protective stance".He seems to be an excellent shot.His language and mannerism is intense and focused.
Yes there is some showmanship- so what,its not a documentary
I get a feel he is a true hunter.
I think there is nothing wrong with making money on hunting videos.It creates interest and enjoyment.
I heard of innuendos and rumors and cannot comment,just opining on the videos themselves

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sodakhntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
If his motives were true to heart, he wouldn't be in the video business

quote:

I do not presume to know what is in a man's heart.

quote:
get it?

Ouch!

Ted

Posts: 152 | Location: China Spring, Texas | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really hope that there are no PH's out there (making a film or otherwise) that intentionally wound animals for any reason. Not only is it immoral, it gives the anti-hunters amongst us TONS of ammo. That is the kind of thing that will get hunting banned in a hurry. Frowner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the past, almost every post on AR about MS bashed him. This time, there seems to be a very clear split between those who disagree with his methods, and those who like what he does. Has public perception changed?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sodakhntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the past, almost every post on AR about MS bashed him. This time, there seems to be a very clear split between those who disagree with his methods, and those who like what he does. Has public perception changed?

Is it possible there is a third category; those that are not quick to pass judgement on someone's morals?

DG charges have been selling in the bookstores for a long time.

Ted

posted Hide Post
Why is it that when a person become famous there are people who does not like him?
I do not agree that one should wait for the animal to get up before you send him off. If he’s down finish him off.
But one thing is for sure he is fully booked and he is marketing himself to the hilt.
Regarding getting on the cruiser full of guns, well I would be on there as well.

Tell it as it is!

Posts: 29 | Location: South Africa (Limpopo) | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps envy?

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have a video of his I could borrow? I am an honest bloke. I would really like to see one of his movies before shelling out $50 a pop...pretty steep. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fusino,the shipping is too much.But maybe you can get 'em where I succeeded: E-bay.Usual cost 25$
try my source that I am satisfied with but have no knowledge about who he is:

http://stores.ebay.com/Keiths-African-Hunting-Videos_W0QQssPageNameZl2QQtZkm

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
^^Have you ever tried media mail? Dirt cheap...just to save yourself some $ in the future...thanks so much for the ebay reference. Looks like he has a nice wide selection Smiler

One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I have it on good authority that his 600NE is in Enid for repairs right now. Apparantly it doubled on him.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's easy - you can tell by what comes out of his mouth. Luke 6:45

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Sodakhntr
posted Hide Post
quote:

And what he types?

Ted

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sodakhntr:
quote:

And what he types?

Yes, why - have I typed something that offended you?

quote:
Yes, but did every animal Fred Bear shot on film end in a charge?

I think you're missing my point. IMO, Sullivan is in the "video business" and facilitates this business with a PH license and unethical practices.

He would be like the others if he hadn't fist put out a video of charges, and then continued to force animals to charge him so that they could be caught on film and furthering his financial gain.

He "hunts" to get a charge and capture it on film, for the simple reason that it's the "sex" that sells... he doesn't simply film hunts and present the hunts as the others do/did.

get it?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
quote:

Luke 6:45 must have been written before lying was invented.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Fusino, I have one you could borrow. I live in Round Rock. Just let me know

Posts: 39 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a couple of questions:

With what we can see on tape, would MS be allowed to join the old East African PH Club?

With the same in mind, could he join any of the other PG associations?

What do his peer's think of him?

Just some food for thought,

Minkman

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
I would like to start by saying that there is a load of BS and gosip flying around this forum about MS.
1. I have never heard anybody that actuly hunted with MS complain, and many of them are repeat customers, so maby they know somthing that we don't.
2. When did marketing become a sin. I dare say that most of us that can aford Africa have done our owm share of marketing ourselves of who every left you your trust fund did. So get off his back about marketing.
3. why has no one that has hunted with mark come foward with a report that mark intentialy wounded a animal. Utill that hapens all of these stories are nothing but gosip. We as gentelmen hunters should not slander a member of our group with out hard evidence.
4. Zero you should talk to MS one more time. When you do take the same condisending air that you do on this forum. I belive you will get the attitude adjustment that you need.
5. I don't belive anyone who hunts africa with a PH is doing so to feed his family. So we all are hunting for the pleasure of the experince.
If that includes a charge thats your bussiness.
6 I own all of MS DVD with the exception of the last one. I see nothing unethical in them. His hunters are enjoying them selfs. He does shoot some of the animals everytime after his hunter has shoot and failed to kill the animal. Often saving the clients from a nasty situation that they agreed to and often requested.
7. I trying to book a hunt with MS right now and I'm bring enough gun with open sights so he doesn't have to shoot my charges. This is my choice my desire and nobody elses bussines other than MS and mine.

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr B:
3. why has no one that has hunted with mark come foward with a report that mark intentialy wounded a animal. Utill that hapens all of these stories are nothing but gosip. We as gentelmen hunters should not slander a member of our group with out hard evidence.

I can't give you a firsthand report that he intentionally wounds animals. But, Mr. Sullivan has this to say on his website: (located at www.nitroexpress.tv) "My numerous critics would have you believe that I am unethical and immoral for not killing the wounded Black Death immediately when first spotted. Obviously, I disagree."

We, as hunters, have a MORAL obligation to end wounded animals suffering AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. No waiting to be charged, no "giving the animal a choice". If you shoot and wound an animal, kill it IMMEDIATELY! MY GOD, DOES ANYBODY HERE DISAGREE WITH THAT? People who do such things should be every moral hunter's #1 enemy. Not only are they sick pups, but they will get hunting banned! While I don't intend to speak for all the nationalities on this forum, public support for hunting in the U.S. hinges on how animals are treated during the hunt. If the PETA types publicize the kind of things M.S. does, public support WILL decline and hunting will get banned in the U.S. If you don't think it can happen, look at the U.K.!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
May I ask a simple open question?

Why with the obvious "enough gun used" by MS and his clients do any of the buff shot not drop with the first shot ?

Having shot enough of my own and having clients shoot buff on our ranch, by far the majority of shots fired will drop the buff where it stands ( if spined) or they will run off a short distance and then drop.

So with this in mind, my African hunting pals and I have pondered this often ?

1. Is there an intentional effort put in, to first cripple the animal to induce a scenario where a charge is inevitable by doing an intentional first "non fatal" shot?

2. Is the choice of first shot bullet deliberately a solid?, again to induce deliberate wounding?

Now from what I have seen on his latest video? and I may be mistaken MS uses colour coded bullets, some are blue in colour? Why is this ? is there a deliberate choice of bullet type agian to evoke a predicatable scenario?

If so then it leaves those who have offered opinion contra this practise valid reason to express their displeasure at the practise as it clearly violates the ethical spirit of "the modern sport or trophy hunt" ?

ALF,

It all boils down to money.

One can have a perfectly normal buffalo hunt - and kill his own buffalo - for around $10K.

MS apparently charges $50K for each guaranteed charge - where he gets to kill the buffalo!? And of course, how many are shot in the process is immaterial.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68662 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote