New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cape Town attractions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I will be touring Cape Town this April for seven days. I am staying at the Abbey Manor near the base of Table mountain. So far I am planning to see Table mountain, Green Market Square, and eating at Panama Jacks and Africa Cafe.

I would love to hear about any other must see attractions within 150 miles of Cape Town.

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Robert & any other guests

If you are in Cape Town and you want to extend your [ ventures / sightseeing ] please contact Kobus Durand and mention [Peter Bird from Balla-Balla Safaris] referred you.

Kobus & Dominique will be able to arrange commercial tours as required and to suit your budget, with his varied background and experience in outdoors wildlife & travel he will ensure that you get satisfaction ..

About Kobus

Regards, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter

I am not looking for a guide, but there is allways chance I will not like driving on the wrong side of the road. I will keep their name amd email with me.

Thanks Robert

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like Balla Balla, I would recommend a professional guide. Whether you choose the wine country or the cape itself, it is worth it. It was some of the best money I spent.

Michael

Posts: 160 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 28 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Brass Bell Restaurant in Kalk Bay is highly recommended by locals. Though I've not been there myself.
The V&A Wharf area is a very entertaining waterfront scene with all the tourist shopping, eating and drinking venues.
The wine country, Stellenbosh and especially Paarl, is awesome and many very good wines are offered.
A trip up the West Coast to Langebaan and the Lagoon is something different as well. This VERY quiet, VERY small waterfront village is a vacation getaway only 100k north of Cape Town. If you want to stay there the Club Mykonos is nice and reasonable too.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cape point was very nice but we got great weather. I understand if it is wet it is not much to see. We have always hired a car and driver together as we get a lot of local info from the driver. Also what to do or not do. As in "Don't eat your lunch outside the car as the kites will dive bomb the sandwiches right out of your hand." Ngorongoro crater. Good hunting.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seven days in the Cape: Must do is a weekend lunch at Boschendal Wine Estate in Franschhoek. Before that lunch take a tour of wine estates and buy a few bottles at: Welgemeend off the N1 between CapeTown and Paar; then to Meelust and Kanonkop closer to Stellenbosch. You have enough time to spend a night in the old town of Tulbagh and, if I recall, there's a wine estate near there (Tweejongezellen?? or Theunis Kraal). Good old church/Museum in Tulbagh. Paarl is an interesting town and the gunmaker Bernie Laubscher 021 8724403 is there and has some interesting guns to examine/buy! In Cape Town drop into City Guns and see what the Harrison Bros., Terry and Mark have for sale of interest. Also in Cape Town itself, tour the Castle, an old Vauban fort (the one story star-shaped) and visit numerous Museums and galleries. Be sure to walk in the Parliamentary Gardens and Have tea at the nearby and very dear Mt. Nelson Hotel (advice to wander around the shops and restaurants at V&A wharf is also good). Arguably best restaurant in Cape Town is THE RESTAURANT, not too far from the the turn into the V&A wharf complex. Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
D Hunter and Tim Carney

Thanks for the recommendations, I will check them all out.

Robert Johnson

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
We had a delightful meal (back in 1998) at the Black Marlin. The kingklip is excellent.

Good spot to stop on your way to or from Cape Point.

Cape Point

Road to Cape Point

Top of Table Mountain

Lunch in the Wine Country

We also stayed in the Oranjezicht area when we were in Cape Town. You will like it there, a very quiet area. There is an Ocean Basket restaurant in that area (or at least there was when we were there).

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
get a local guide you'll not regret it. that way you can be flexible if the top of table mt. is cloudy.

table mountain
the walk and then the mt. nelson hotel high tea is great.
see the bo kaap as well as district 6
i really enjoyed the botanical gardens as well
i would say that the VA waterfront is ok, but cliff tops, long beach and the otehr places outside cape town were much less touristy, long beach has lovely hacking stables and there is nothing better than a ride on the beach and champers for sundowners.

best eats in cape town for me was really the 5 flies fantastic european cuisine. seriously good wines
wine country do eikendal, meerlust etc many worth a look in be prepared to buy their prices are great and the wines ah the wines!

whatever you do i'm sure you'll have a great time. just be a little careful on the streets at night after 9.

you can send me a pm and i'll give you details of my man in capetown. i sell cape town diving, whale watching, wine route and garden route stuff as a sidleine in asia. cheers, tm

"one of the most common african animals is the common coolerbok(or coleman's coolerbok). Many have been domesticated and can be found in hunting camps, lodges and in the back of vehicles."

Posts: 252 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like to underscore trapmonkey's recommendation to see the Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens a short drive from the city centre on the other side of Table Mountain. If you bring hiking shoes you can go through the gardens and up to the Contour Path and hike along it a very pleasant stroll in relaxed scenery. A good hike would be to go to the Rhodes Memorial and walk from there on the contour path to Kirstenbosch gardens (hour or hour and a half as I recall), descend and have tea and scones in the Gardens. There is a great gift shop in the Gardens too, and you can meet your vehicle in the parking lot after fixing a time.
Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote