New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Big Bore
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
One could find a push to feed winchester in 458 win mag for a decent price. It will work. This would be a backup rifle in your battery and would work just fine. The last one I saw offered a few months ago was $675.00 .

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I bought my CZ 375 H&H from the CZ Custom shop and had Ed and Wayne at AHR work it over a bit. I like it a lot. I'm probably going to have it rebored to 470 Capstick this winter if the wife allows me with the stock market dropping and all (for the first time in awhile she's paying attention to my purchases GAWD!)

Smiler

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4772 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karamojo Bill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Get a .416 Rigby. It is the finest big bore magazine cartridge ever.

Dave

There is a reason that the great Harry Selby, (Ruark's PH) chose the .416 Rigby!!!! If it was good enough for him, it's good enough for me!

Karamojo Bill

At then end of my time here, I want to come skidding through the Pearly Gates & hear God say, "Whoa Boy, that was a hell of a ride!"

Posts: 118 | Location: Margaritaville, Oregon | Registered: 30 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Get the .458 Lott. You won't regret it.

one of us
Picture of sbhva
posted Hide Post
Aaron;

You need to contact Rich Reiley the custom rifle builder in the article. He has built many big bores using the HVA action as he calls it or 1640 action as we call it. That would keep you true to your heritage.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/featured_rifles/safari_120605/

Steve

Posts: 120 | Location: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,here are some things I take for a rule and that I discovered so far. If you want the most accurate,go for the Ruger. If you want a big bore to recoil like a medium bore,go for the new Ruger. If you want the rifle to feed and load like a dream,get the CZ and have the necessary work done to it because it is useless if you don't.I am still at the learning process because I have yet to try big bore custom barrels and actions but I will get there and have the whole story.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

When you find the suitable base rifle, I have that Lott reamer sitting right here. I'm knid of kicking the idea back and forth between the Lott, the Capstick, and going to a .500 of some type. The Lott would do fine, and already have the reamer, but I'd really like to do something even bigger just because I can.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Hi all, I bit the bullet and sent my rifle to Clearwater to be rebored to 470 Capstick. I'm looking forward to shooting a big bore (up from my 375 H&H) sometime this winter.

Smiler

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4772 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a few years ago after getting the african hunting bug, i bought a 416 rigby cz 550 euro lux. after putting in internal cross bolts and bedding the rifle and with a vx2 1-4 20mm scope on low B square/lynx rings it totalled about 2500usd in RSA. it lives with my other african rifles in RSA as we can't store fullbore rifles where i live.

I haven't been to see it in a while, but it made one shot work of the 2 or three wildebeest i tested it on for function.

Other calibers that i have seen and used have been 375H&H, 458WM and 404jeff in bolt actions and .500NE in a double. All of these have pros and cons. If i was to buy a rifle now, maybe the 458lott/458wm advantage would sway me Smiler. As it is the rigby is where my heart lies.

"one of the most common african animals is the common coolerbok(or coleman's coolerbok). Many have been domesticated and can be found in hunting camps, lodges and in the back of vehicles."

Posts: 252 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Lott would be a great choice -- however, CZ has stopped offering the .505 gibbs so if you can afford one you might want to consider it before they're all gone. IMO, no such thing as "too big" for DG.

Posts: 122 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 20 September 2008Reply With Quote