THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Legal Process To Export A Sporting Rifle?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legal Process To Export A Sporting Rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted
On my next safari, this summer, I would like to leave a rifle with my PH in R.S.A. that he intends to legally own. He is already in the process of obtaining a permit for the rifle. What process do I need to go through to legally export the sporting rifle from the U.S.?

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Involves a permit that the U.S. Dept. of State, Bureau of Politico-Military Affairs issues. Do a google and start the process.

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Use extreme caution and ensure you have all export in order and do not leave it without following all import laws for whatever country your PH is in. I don't even know if the U.S. will allow this under current U.S. and U.N. political sanctions.

It's not a matter of if you can but rather if you will be allowed. Let us know.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done it for a couple of horse safari outfits in Botswana and RSA. I obtained the permit applications from our Government, but it was too much paperwork to just take a few Marlins to Africa. I didn't bother getting export permits, but both the Botswana and RSA guides did get the proper import permits. I took them over in a cheap gun case and just left the rifles and case there. There is no check leaving RSA to make sure you leave with the guns you came with unless you are stupid enough to check in to your departing flight with an empty gun case.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I went thru the process some years ago. At that time I was told I could export 2 rifles one time with out having to obtain a license which is difficult AND expensive to obtain. The paperwork ,while quite extensive and required a letter from a person in the recieving government atesting to the acceptability of the person, or persons in my case, recieving the rifles. I got a letter from the consul general in Wasington from Zimbabwe and after considerable correspondence back and forth was granted the necessary export papers. This was for 2 rifles to PH's in Zimbabwe. One was recieved by the PH intended and he is still using it I presume. The other was held by customs as they had placed a moratorium on permits in Zimbabwe at the time (actually both were shipped within weeks of each other) and was later sold to another party by customs who somehow magically was able to get a permit issued. I was told when I recieved these certificates tat this was a once in a lifetime event and I woud not be able to recieve any further export certificates without a license. Part of the problem or difficulty is that this is not directly controlled by the State Department alone but in conjunction with the Department of Defense which is much more strict in their requirements. If memory serves it took about 6 weeks total to recieve the permits and I merely mailed the rifles via registered mail with no problems. Don't know what the actual process is now but imagine it is much the same. Woud probably be much easier to find someone with an export license but there was no such entity in Tucson who would do it for me. Wish you luck as I know it COULD be done.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's the website of the State Dept. Directorate of Defense Trade Controls to begin your researching...

http://pmddtc.state.gov/DTRADE/index.html

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
BigBoreCore

Do you think the RSA people eventually reconcile import entry permits to export/exit cancellations of the import permits?

Their system isn't the best. Upon leaving, the "security" guy just looks at the papers, but although I have done it many times, I am pretty sure but not certain there is a log book one signs with the import permit number, which presumably, at some point..is reconciled?

Interesting idea....it would be nice to know their procedures from someone with firsthand knowledge.

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

I doubt it has reached that level of sophistication yet, but it could in the future if it were on a software program linked to your departure flight. On one trip back I checked all the way through from Botswana to Los Angeles which is common for hunters returning home. Your rifle case would also be checked through and you would bypass the Joburg firearms office all together. When I hunted in Botswana they never bothered to check the firearms when I left. As it stands now, if you check out without a rifle case then they wouldn't know your brought one in with you. I have done it twice, but I did have copies of the import permits with me in case I was asked.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote