New
Find
Notify
Tools

safari boots
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Was looking at a pair of safari boots. Russel's are about $700 and Courtney's half the price. Any experience or suggestions with these boots or other recommendations.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I work in a firm that allows casual attire in the office and I wear Courtney Selous every day, so they are my most comfortable boots and well broken in. I have a couple of pair. They work for me but I have flat feet and I've heard people who don't have flat feet say they don't work for them. I've hunted multiple times in Africa with these boots and am totally happy with them.

I have a pair of Russell boots, I think they are called the "Mountain PH" that I like as well. Have hunted with those numerous times and have been happy with them.

Have also hunted with some Merrill's and they are fine too.

What I would recommend is having two pairs of boots and alternating day to day so that they can dry out and take a couple of blister kits.
My boots are so well broken in that I've never used the blister kits, but I still carry them.

Good luck.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I never wear boots.

I buy two pairs of walking shoes.

I wear a pair on the hunt, and give them to a tracker, wear the second pair home.

My current ones are by ECCO.

Our walking distances on safari varies.

We have walked over 270 kilometers and we have walked 150 on our 21 day hunts.

What I like is something light and comfortable.

I put them at camp in the morning, and they only come off back at camp in the evening.

Never take them off during the day.

Even in wading rivers, they stay on.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twilli:
Was looking at a pair of safari boots. Russel's are about $700 and Courtney's half the price. Any experience or suggestions with these boots or other recommendations.

Search top 20 hiking shoes/boots for warm weather. I don't think Russells or Courtneys even get a mention.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Planning for an African hunting safari should not be regarded as participating in a cross-country marathon.

Several pairs of comfortable broken-in walking shoes are more than sufficient rather than spending extravagant sums of money on fashionable boots that you are unlikely to wear again after the hunt.

IMHO too much concern is being attributed to footwear which is aimed and marketed to give ankle protection and while this may be true to a certain extent, it boils down to being more attentive as to where you place your feet.

Nobody seems to show much concern about other sensitive joints that are as equally prone to ankle injury, e.g. knees and hips which targets the older ones among us. How come there is never any discussion on types of knee supports or braces?

A nasty twist of the leg can affect any of these 3 vulnerable joints. coffee

Posts: 2036 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted Hide Post
Like many have wasted money on buying a Pair of Russell boots, they were are literally the worst pair of boots I ever owned!!
A comfortable pair if light hiking boots/shoes would be my suggestion also.
Do have a pair of Courtney’s and love them for dress boots, they shine up very well…

Posts: 218 | Location: NSW , Australia | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too have a set of Courtneys for home wear. Elephant and they won't wear out. This years trip to Zim I brought my Lowa Innox and a pair of Inov-8 345's. Both are light weight wear like iron
and dry quickly. We covered 6 to 12 miles a day after Eland and Buff. Our third trip in Lowas.
You can buy two pair for the price of either Russel or Cortney. Same could be said for Merrills, or many other hiking shoes. My wife wears a low cut Lowa "almost" walking shoe as Saeed mentioned. Lowas and 345's come in size 14.

Posts: 118 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
In 2011 I bought a pair of Adidas lightweight hikers that felt comfortable for about $60.

They've lasted through four other safaris in Africa, a half a dozen hunting trips in New Zealand and dozens of hunts here in the US.

They are still comfortable and I still use them. I've never felt the need to buy any name brand boots.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Twilli any boot/shoe that you would use for a September Antelope hunt in MT will be just fine.

Walking/hiking in Africa is no different than walking/hiking in any other moderate to warm/hot weather location depending on time of year cliin moderate terrain than any other place.

I found my five safaris to be the least demanding on footwear of all the hunts I have been on.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried both Russells and Courtneys. Courtney Selous are the most comfortable boots I have ever had. I wear a pair and pack a pair.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is all about fit. Any reasonable pair of hiking boots is fine.

Neither Russells or Courtneys fit me well (despite three iterations with the Russell custom fit (gave them to Goodwill)

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience with Ecco is not good. They are now made in China and fit like a boxcar. Whites-the makers of Whites Smokejumpers, makes a hiking boot and low quarter shoe that I find most comfortable and they last.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Twilli any boot/shoe that you would use for a September Antelope hunt in MT will be just fine.

Walking/hiking in Africa is no different than walking/hiking in any other moderate to warm/hot weather location depending on time of year climate in moderate terrain than any other place.

I found my five safaris to be the least demanding on footwear of all the hunts I have been on.

Good advice. My Courtneys are my antelope hunting boots.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
My Kenetreks worked out well last month in Zimbabwe. First time I have used them on safari after a couple of decades of using Eccos.

As has been said, Eccos are not what they used to be - they are now made cheaply in China.

Kenetreks are very well designed and made in Italy.

As an aside, I have found that, for me, it is important not to over-tighten my boots. There is no need to do that. Just barely tight enough is what I need.

Also, don’t overlook good socks. I like merino wool/synthetic blends. They stay dry and comfortable. Stay away from all synthetic or cotton.

Good luck with your choice.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
On my first safari I wore a pair of Merrell Moab hikers. I liked them so much that they are now my everyday wear. I have to buy a 1/2 size larger than with other shoes, but they seem to be consistent.

Since they are vented I use a pair of canvas gaiters in some areas.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
I have tried both Russells and Courtneys. And have taken both to Africa over the years.

I hade my Russells measurements taken at the DSC convention and about 8 months later they arrived. I broke them in and they went on my next African hunt. I put them in the box for the next clothing drive after I returned home.

Both are made for flat footed individuals.

You can put in inserts that have arch support and Courtneys will work, somewhat they are extra wide and even with thick socks my feet move around it them. They do make narrower shoes now, I just have not tried them.

My shoe of choice is Merrell's hikers or Keen hikers both have served me well, I usually leave them after a hunt and will pick up a new pair when I get home. I have a new pair of Merrell's in the closed now that I have not worn yet.

As Saeed indicated take 2 pair, leave one pair with the trackers and the other one you wear home. Beats getting your shoes sprayed, and stinking up your luggage.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:

Several pairs of comfortable broken-in walking shoes are more than sufficient rather than spending extravagant sums of money on fashionable boots that you are unlikely to wear again after the hunt.

coffee

Was waiting for you to say Bata tennis shoes. Wink

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finally bought Courtney's (safari) this summer from Jim at ASC. I've been very pleased. So far, I've worn them around the farm, working on the dove field. Then, last week, I took them to Jackson Hole and hiked to Delta Lake up in the Tetons - a steep, challenging climb. They were really great. I like them more and more. They feel well-made; and I love that they don't have cheap textile lining, etc. I hope to test them out in the Zambezi valley next year or the next.

For what it's worth, my last pair were Rocky Safari boots. They were great/comfortable, but they literally came apart at the seems in two years of wearing - and I only wore them hunting, not everyday use.

My $.02

Posts: 61 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 10 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Walking shoes would work fine in many places, although you might need gaiters, but some places require some ankle support, so I prefer a boot. I like Courtneys as they are my everyday wear, but I've seen younger Ph's lately wearing military style desert boots which can be had fairly reasonably and they would seem to work. That said, in 2017 a PH who wore those type of boots told me he went through a pair a season. But that might last a tourist hunter a lifetime.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Was waiting for you to say Bata tennis shoes. Wink

You meant BATA Safari boots.

They are still available in Nairobi and popular as ever.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Most of the PHs I have hunted with wear plain tennis shoes.

The white cloth ones.

And no socks.

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

The white cloth ones.

And no socks.

I’m not sure Roy has ever worn anything except Converse All-Stars.

I really like Keen hikers. They’re very comfortable and seem well made. I took a pair of Courtney’s to Tanzania last October, but they weren’t that comfortable to walk more than maybe 3 or 4 miles in. I ended up wearing Keens or ASICS athletic shoes more than the Courtney’s. I left the Keens for one of the trackers when I left. Keens will be on my feet next trip.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Bought a new pair of ECCO, and took them with me to Sweden, where I do a lot of walking.

Just got home after a 17 kilometers walk.

If it does not rain I might have another walk.

Breaking them in for our safari in Tanzania later this year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bought a new pair of ECCO, and took them with me to Sweden, where I do a lot of walking.

Just got home after a 17 kilometers walk.

If it does not rain I might have another walk.

Breaking them in for our safari in Tanzania later this year.

I did the Courtney thing in Zim and after a few days running behind the CrocsWearing PH, I tossed them and wore my ECCO light walking shoes. What a difference!! Im never wearing "hunting" shoes again. Even back home I hunt in wellingtons.

Posts: 193 | Location: Near the arctic circle, Norway | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The white cloth ones.

And no socks.

One wonders why when the mileage and terrain are the same for everyone. Big Grin

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Walter, who hardly ever walks, takes at least 4 pairs of shoes/boots with him!

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The white cloth ones.

And no socks.

One wonders why when the mileage and terrain are the same for everyone.

Because PHs and Africans are a practical people and in general a frugal lot (and that is not a negative comment). They can't see spending $300 on footwear when $30 will do. They have lived thru hard times and they conserve their resources - whether it's making bungee cords out of tire inner tubes or slaughtering an old cantankerous stallion and saving the meat to feed the dogs.

Whereas, we Americans are generally obsessed with technology whether it is boots or binocular straps. Yes, there was actually a post years ago about the "best binouclar strap" for a safari.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lowa has some lightweight hiking boots. They are great and not expensive.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
To buy a pair is a good way to support a Zim company that actually is PRO hunting that doing a handmade quality boot that will outlive you if you take care of it.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indeed, a personal choice based on your foot anatomy, terrain, and vegetation. In southern Zim there is a species of acacia with particularly nasty thorns that will indeed go right through the sole of a sneaker or similar lightweight shoe/boot. Tough on tires and worse on feet. I've seen a PH needing to use of pair of pliers to get a thorn out of a boot! After a having four of those thorns go through my sneaker and try to poke into my feet, I reserve sneakers for camp wear.

I have a Courtney shoe (the Hunter?) which I really like, but I want something a bit taller and am not as enamored of the Selous. I've taken my Kenetrek Safari boots to Zim multiple times and adore them. They are also a great three-season boot for Idaho. The sole is heavy enough to be acacia armor, but not horribly heavy.

Posts: 114 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 07 October 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have, on several occasions, picked broken thorns from my shoes with pliers.

There are areas in Tanzania where one has to walk on thorns several inches long.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have, on several occasions, picked broken thorns from my shoes with pliers.

There are areas in Tanzania where one has to walk on thorns several inches long.

I've had the thorns in south Texas go all the way through light boots and into my foot.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
“Whereas, we Americans are generally obsessed with technology whether it is boots or binocular straps”

Yep, and I am guilty as charged Roll Eyes

With that said, I took "lightweight" shoes to Africa and I hated them as it seemed every weed within 10 feet was stuck in them. All leather, lightweight and uninsulated is the best for me. In my few trips there, the walking has been very easy and usually on flat land or small hills. It is be far easier walking that here at home

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I wore Chuck Taylors one year in the Caprivi.

Thank God I also brought my regular hunting boots, which were the good quality Eccos you could still get back then.

The Chucks have two little holes in the sides, just above the soles.

They let in huge quantities of sand, which would absolutely not come out.

One day of taking off my shoes every half hour to pour out the sand pretty much limited my love affair with Converse sneakers as hunting boots! Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never had a thorn penetrate the sole of a Courtney Selous boot or a Russel for that matter.
Mike, As to bino straps, that's just funny. Carry them under my left arm and the strap matters little if it holds them. I think every pair of binoculars I have still wears the strap that came with them.
I might be corrected as I have more binoculars than I need. I like Leica.

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Keen sandals for me. Or good quality flip flops.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Lowa Locarno or the Lowa Malta. Light weight with good support. Each have a beefed up running shoe type soul that's comfortable and quiet. I've used the Locarno on safari and they were great. The Malta is new and very similar. I imagine it would do just as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CharlesL:
On my first safari I wore a pair of Merrell Moab hikers. I liked them so much that they are now my everyday wear. I have to buy a 1/2 size larger than with other shoes, but they seem to be consistent.

Since they are vented I use a pair of canvas gaiters in some areas.

That’s what I wear day-to-day as well. With podiatrist-prescribed orthotics to help my old arthritic feet, I can walk mile after mile. Only caveat is that you do want gaiters to keep prickly stuff out of them.
Still, for most hunting, I like an all-leather ankle boot. Doesn’t matter what make so long as it has a pretty stiff sole (see, arthritis) and is well-broken in.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Courtney are made for African feet! Flat and wide! Not to mention heavy!

I've been wearing timberline and ariat for the last several years. I,love them.

Posts: 42342 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
I have 4 pair of Courtney boots - its practically all I wear!

I do have wide feet and they are very comfortable for me, not to mention they last forever...

One thing - they are not the best if you are standing on hard concrete all day but dirt / sand / grass they cant be beat IMHO!

It was mentioned that Americans like technology and Africans are practical and frugal - as an American I dislike the modern throwaway society. I prefer boots that will last decades and can be repaired / resoled....

And I like supporting a pro-hunting company!

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote