THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    As a buffalo hunter I'm a very good cooker !!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

As a buffalo hunter I'm a very good cooker !!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
Who said that culling buffs was easy ?? Roll Eyes

After braging here all the different types of bullets I will try on waterbuffs this weekend I only manage to shoot ONE big old buffalo.... COW !! Big Grin

We have been putting so much preassure in these animals that they have become spookier than deers !! the places were they rest during the day is nearly impossible to hunt, thornbush, mud, mosquitoes, there are few places where one can stand up !!

We know they must eat in pastures near the bush, so one night we went with a spotlight to take a look. I was carrying my 9,3 with round noses PMP 286 grainers, as soon as we turn on the spotlight, aprox seven buffs start running as hell towards the bush, I choose one and bang!!thump !! hitted too back, I aim a little bit foward this time and bang again, and we heard thump again!!, the four legs of the buff went into the air at the same time and the buff landed with the chest !!, we run towards it to try to get a head shot (imagine running in a difficult terrain carrying batteries, spotlight, rifle, etc towards the buff which was trying to get up), a couple of shots and all was ended.

The bullet went into the shoulder, spined the buff, and ended in the other side shoulder just under the skin. The distance of the shot was 180 metres (aprox. 160 yards? ).

The next day we went to a very big and thick river bush which was flooded, so the higher places were like islands with water channels between them. Some of us climbed in trees above the buffs paths, and the others move them walking towards us. Federico, one of my hunting buddies was climbed in a big tree just between two islands of very thick bush, when a group of buffs went into the water and start swimming towards the other island, he wait till the first one put the feet in the dry land and just before the buff disapear into the bush...BANG !! thump !! hitted, the buff run as nothing has happened. Minutes later he heard the typical noise they make before dying (below?). The distance was aprox. 120 metres (100 yards) and his gun is a 30-06 remington 700, he was using round nose Hornadys 220 grainers.

The bullet went through the heart and we find the buff stone dead 100 yards from the shore (later he told us that he has aimed to the head Big Grin ). The bullet dont hit any heavy bone and stopped near the the other side !!!.

Despite working hard we were not able to shoot any more, the place is difficult to hunt and the buffs are too spooky, it's getting difficult to complete the work.

I will post pictures of buffs and bullets tomorrow.

I know some will not agree with the calibers or the methods we use but culling is not the same that trophy hunting and here we don't have chance to get the correct guns. One of the chaps moving the buffs in the thick bushes and in the tall grass was with a .22 and other one with a revolver from the 38...they are young and they can climb quickly, they only have the guns to shoot into the air....obviously Roll Eyes Big Grin

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lorenzo:
The bullet went through the heart and we find the buff stone dead 100 yards later (later he told us that he has aimed to the head ).

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Two buffalo down and both shot at considerable range.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo, can those varmints be tracked ? Also, with them getting spookier and spookier ... what would be a good way of getting one now ? Being that I've missed an elephant in the daylight I'm not sure how successful I would be at running buffs at night ??? Confused

Posts: 168 | Location: The Great White North | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote