Find
Notify
Tools

filsons tin cloth back pack
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted
Has any one used the filson tin cloth pack, Journeyman or Ranger?
the shoulder straps look great for use with a rifle.
look ideal for use in Australia's buffalo areas.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They look good, biggest problem I have with most backpacks is that the shoulder pads are too thick and they get in the way of a proper gun mount.

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
If I remember right from handling them in the store, the Journeyman straps were slightly thinner, more pliable than the ranger. I would also choose it because it’s a conventional zip top. Keep in mind the ranger has quick adjust straps and the Journeyman uses the buckle adjusters. If you tend to loosen straps before taking the bag off and snug them when you put it on, the Ranger might be the better bag just for that though. I do like he 262 Rucksack also, it’s got a single thickness of leather for straps. Would take a while to break in though...my medium field bag is 15 years old and still kinda stiff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much gear do you intend to carry?

Harkila do a range of bags with mesh webbing shoulder straps designed not to foul a butt pad https://harkila.com/products/rucksacks-and-bags

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
the usual warm weather kit but with quite a bit of water. so the plain leather straps may not work. but do need to thin the shoulder straps down for rifle use

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote