Notify
Tools

The Real Thing!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
It has just begun to sink in.

I've done some interesting and exciting things in my life. I've climbed some pretty difficult mountains, flown the bush in Alaska, made carrier landings in a single-seat jet... had two wonderful daughters, won a $1,000,000 verdict, tried death penalty cases, both as a lawyer and as a judge (at least portions thereof)... I've lived a pretty good life. I've even been to Africa and hunted buffalo successfully a couple or three times.

But in a 45 days, I'll have a real English double rifle in my sweaty hands, with a real safari vest on (heck, even with giant Nitro Express cartridges in it) and I'll be slipping along in the bush after a real elephant with real tusks. I'll get a chance (hopefully) to decide with my PH whether the shot needs to be a brainer or for the the spot 1/3 up and just at the fold of the shoulder. I'll be listening to my heart beat and at the same time, the grumble of the bull's gut. I'll see the tracker's nostrils widen and his eyes grow big, the closer we get... (I'm getting goose bumps writing this.)

I'll put the express sights where the bullet needs to go and, with no little fear, touch off 500 grains of solid. Son-of-a-buck, I'm getting excited... It's going to be the real thing that I've thought about ever since I was 12 and read Hunter's HUNTER and Roosevelt's musings.. And about 50 more.. I can't wait.. I'm just glad I have a good buddy (who posts as 1115) to share this with... I'm pumped my friend... And I can't wait until you get your first buffalo. I hope it's as exciting as my first.

Yahoooooooo!

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG,

Now calm down...hypertension can be safari spoiler!
All cranked up like this already..how are you going to last 45 days?

Rch Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Judge
Inspite of you being a member of the Bar and being a judge, I wish you well on your hunt.
I only ask that when you return and tell us of your adventure you remember you are a hunter and not a fisherman.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Tell you what. I'm planning on having 1115 video this adventure, as I will video his buff hunt. I'll send you a CD ROM and let you be the judge of the veracity? Can you beat that?

And what's the problem with a little poetic license, anyway.. dang cameras would have messed up every story except the Sermon on the Mount!

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no hunting like elephant hunting. Nothing close. I'm going to leave May 6 on an elephant hunt and I'm pumped too.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
You guys are getting me pumped. Hunting elephant has to be like no other. I've got to figure out a way. Until then, Judge how 'bout puttin me as number two on you CD list. I'd love to see you take your elephant and with a true English double!

Bloody good show old man.

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i leave this up coming monday for my elephant hunt.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Judge,

I'm looking forward to a tune-up in a couple of weeks. It won't be Africa, but we can share a fire and swap lies.

David

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Four words, Judge: "Forty milligrams of Prozac."

You'll be fine. )

Congratulations, Judge!

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Judge
If you were a fisherman I'd like have the measure of your arm span. You being a hunter is different. Just come back without an elephant foot print on your butt or a buffalo boss imprint on the same location and I'll be most pleased.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
JudgeG,

I wish you the best of luck on your hunt. Can't wait to hear of your adventures upon your return. Take three deep breaths and exhale slowly.

BigBullet

Posts: 1212 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn Judge! You're getting me excited! Just hearing about your hunt. Hope you have a hell of a time! & I would like one of your hunting CD's. I'll galdly pay shipping. Kudos!
Regards Mike Birdwell

Posts: 308 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 12 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG,

It is wonderful to read real excitement in the words of an "old war horse" like yourself! Gives me faith that there is still hope for some of us less experienced folks.

At the risk of starting a small riot, my only question is ... What is this "English double" stuff? Would you be less exited if you were going to the field after El with one of Butch's rifles? (I doubt it! ;>Wink

Congratulations and have a wonderful time.

A couple of us newbies will lift a sundowner glass in late May to you, Ray, and the others that inspired us make our first trek to RSA! It may only be a plains game hunt ... but it's as important to us as can be imagined. Thanks Ya'll.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ern,
I hate to bust your bubble but Annalie has told Pierre that he can no longer run with the likes of us, so the hunt is off...

You know how wimmen are?? I guess he is going to take up farming, and has hired Walter Hogg as his foreman and Saeed is the new waterboy, I on the other hand will seeking new horizons in the far corners of the earth while you pine away in humid Georgia whistling "Who'd a thought it" ....

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Ray:

Actually, my bubble gets busted every morning when I look in the mirror. I dream, then look at my reflection... That'll put reality if focus, all too quickly.

As to the comment about the "English" double.. I hunt with modern firearms as well... this is just a trip to re-live my childhood dreams, just this time, it will be as "traditional" as I can make it. Maybe the next hunt with a Searcy.. I've got one on order as soon as I decide on the caliber. I think they are mighty fine!

And I'd drink Saeed's water any darn time!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge best of luck from your neighbors in Thomaston. Can't wait for the stories and pictures. Godspeed Ben(Rug)

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"won a $1,000,000 verdict" --Now that excites me!

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
1M??? No big deal, now-a-days, but 25 years ago, I thought I was really something... that is, until I got my butt kicked the next trial. Some times your get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you.

I wish I'd had the sense to invest that fee wisely... I'd be lending Saeed money!

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Judge,

The best of luck to you. Hope you find the big tusker of your dreams. Then you'll have to go back with your searcy (get the 450) and get an even bigger tusker! Have fun... wish I was going.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge G,
Best of luck on your upcoming hunt, Could I please ask for a copy of the cd, if it is not much of a hassle I would be prepared to pay for it. We are very much starved of hunting videos here in zambia. Our only respite is the Saturday ESPN shows on satelite tv.
regards

Posts: 228 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 25 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know someone you would really enjoy sitting around and enjoying the "campfire" type thing with. On this forum I think he is mufasa. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you as of yet, but you two sure seem to be cut of the same cloth.

People who can take life's downs and enjoy life's ups, realize the difference and appreciate it are few and far between. I would love to see your video. After watching one where I had actually met the PH's and the clients and knew their personalities, it was a world of difference in watching the action.

Good luck and just try to console yourself with Pink Gins until your plane leaves.

Shannon
gotogirl3

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

It has just begun to sink in.

But in a 45 days, I'll have a real English double rifle in my sweaty hands, with a real safari vest on (heck, even with giant Nitro Express cartridges in it) and I'll be slipping along in the bush after a real elephant with real tusks. I'll get a chance (hopefully) to decide with my PH whether the shot needs to be a brainer or for the the spot 1/3 up and just at the fold of the shoulder. I'll be listening to my heart beat and at the same time, the grumble of the bull's gut. I'll see the tracker's nostrils widen and his eyes grow big, the closer we get... (I'm getting goose bumps writing this.)

I'll put the express sights where the bullet needs to go and, with no little fear, touch off 500 grains of solid. Son-of-a-buck, I'm getting excited...

Yahoooooooo!

And an elephant is thinking. "In 45 days there is an American carrying an antique double rifle wearing an safari vest with NE cartridges in it .... and in 45 days I am going to hide in the thickest, darkest bush .... and sneak around ...... and when they pass me I'm going to charge out and ........ Yahoooooooo!"

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
NitroX:

You are quite right... It should be "Sometimes you get the elephant, and sometimes the elephant gets you!"

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
Best of luck JudgeG,
When are you getting your new 470 Double? I would also be interested in a copy of your CD. Hell I would still like a copy of LV Eric's trip. You know I've tried.
Best of luck,
Dave

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Go get 'em, your honor. My best wishes for a truly life-enriching experience.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Earn,

Are you telling me you would DARE use anything other than a 404 Jeffery to take your first elephant? You leave me no choice, other than to take this matter to the board of directors of the Georgia Association of 404 Jeffery Shooters. Your charter membership is in great jeopardy here.

I think you should reconsider your decision to use one of those J.C. Stevens look-alike double barrels and take a "real" rifle on the hunt.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Judge, good luck on your hunt. Incidentally, what aircraft did you fly in the Navy? jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Jorge:

I flew A-4E's with the First Marine Air Wing in VMA-311 in WestPac. I then became an instructor at NAS Glynco flying A-4 Charlies and T-39's. Then to law school.

one of us
Picture of urdubob
posted Hide Post
Good Luck! I'll light a candle and say a prayer at Mass for you tonight. Please, just don't call me a "mackerel snapper" again ...like you did in Atalnta. I am still not quite over that.

urdubob

Posts: 945 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
If fish on Friday is good enough for Mel Gibson, then maybe I should try it. Mea Culpa, if I offended you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Make him send you a video of himself shooting a running buck with a bow, a stick and string bow at that!!! pretty awesome, but I shant praise him further, he might get to where he expects it and I can't deal with that...

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Judge: I loved the A-4, but they were gone by the time I hit the fleet. I did CQ in T-2s TA-4Js before getting my wings in 81. I also have a bit of T-39 time in the Training Command. I AM impressed sir! jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

NitroX:

You are quite right... It should be "Sometimes you get the elephant, and sometimes the elephant gets you!"

Judge, just to add to your excitement.

I wrote that thinking about an insane elephant 'named' "Patches" that enjoyed frightening and chasing guests at a photo camp on the Zambezi. His speciality was to sneak in close to the dining table at night just outside of the light, and then .... charge in trumpeting scaring everyone to death and scattering them in every direction. When I heard of him he had never caught anyone yet.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote