New
Find
Notify
Tools

Convention question for outfitters
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Although the convention season is over six months away, much work has been going on in preparation for the conventions, I can speak first hand about DSC, but I'm sure the others are being worked on as well. The subject on which I am seeking comments from outfitters (other's opinions are welcome, too) is this:
What is your opinion on day time auctions during show hours, meaning while attendees are roaming the floor, are you in favor? Do you disapprove? Does it not make any difference to you?
There have been some suggestions of adding at least one daytime auction at DSC and I'm not in favor, but I'd like to hear what outfitters have to say.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2895 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Karl,

The exhibitors are there to sell their wares. Daytime auctions notably reduce floor traffic and ultimately sales.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard what Mark said repeatedly from every person I know. Frankly, it pisses them off.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 to what Larry said. IMHO the only auction that should be "active" during the day is the silent auction.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 488 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Karl,

The exhibitors are there to sell their wares. Daytime auctions notably reduce floor traffic and ultimately sales.

Mark

Karl - We pay lots of money for these booth spaces, have for years pal. We deserve to have as many potential buyers on the floor at all times as possible. IMO.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl,

You've done wonders with DSC. I'm not an outfitter, just an attendee, and I never participate in auctions for hunts, so I agree with you that it's a bad idea. It would hurt your clientelle.

Posts: 10307 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl

Thanks for the question. It goes without saying that you and the whole past and present DSC committee and volunteers really go out of their way to make the show a success for all. As an operator we certainly hugely appreciate it. However since you asked I do not like the day time auctions as they definitely thin out potential clients for us. I have a good friend/client from his own admission does not buy safaris at the floor any more but waits for the auctions. Cheers for now Buzz

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I have heard what Mark said repeatedly from every person I know. Frankly, it pisses them off.

I've heard exactly the same thing, thanks for your responses...I'll pass them along. As I said in my original post, I'm not in favor of trying this, in fact, I'm 100% against it.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2895 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At SCI one particular hunt sold for half the price at the daytime compared to the evening banquets. I'm sure that applies across the board to some degree if not half. So it doesn't maximize the fund raising either.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

I've heard exactly the same thing, thanks for your responses...I'll pass them along. As I said in my original post, I'm not in favor of trying this, in fact, I'm 100% against it.

This are the same comments I hear from the outiftters I speak with, Karl. The Silent Auction is fine. J

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While the number of responses here is probably too low to be statistically significant they do seem to be uniformly negative and I do not think that daytime live auctions will take place although it is not exclusively my decision.

Just FYI, the reasoning for investigating this as an option was not to increase the number of items we could auction but rather to reduce the number of items in the nightly auctions from 60 to 40 so that the auctions would end earlier(This years Saturday night auction ran until almost midnight). We are looking at other options like limiting pre-auction speakers, awards and entertainment to make sure the auction starts on time as well as moving all but the very best items to silent and online auctions. Of course these changes will potentially piss off a whole different group of people. With Karl's help and a lot of dedicated volunteers I'll keep working to make it the best it can be.

Scott Tobermann, DVM
Past President, Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 307 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
one particular hunt sold for half the price at the daytime compared to the evening banquets.

Evening banquets are normally accompanied by copious amounts of wines & spirits which are known contributors to loosening of tongues and wallets, in whichever occasion Big Grin

Posts: 2030 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, please limit the number of PA announcements and turn the volume down. Last year, it was truly annoying.....

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Also, please limit the number of PA announcements and turn the volume down. Last year, it was truly annoying.....

Number one complaint from, exhibitors, attendees and volunteers. I bet this one gets fixed.

Karl Evans

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Karl,
What about overhead large screen message boards (video/computer monitors)
in place of the bulk of the verbal announcements

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:
Karl

Thanks for the question. It goes without saying that you and the whole past and present DSC committee and volunteers really go out of their way to make the show a success for all. As an operator we certainly hugely appreciate it. However since you asked I do not like the day time auctions as they definitely thin out potential clients for us. I have a good friend/client from his own admission does not buy safaris at the floor any more but waits for the auctions. Cheers for now Buzz

100% agree with Buzz...

Also, is it not possible to make all auctions a week earlier (online), or even a day before the show commences, as we handle a lot of traffic from guys just wanting info on an upcoming auction item, with NO intention to buy if they were not successful in getting a "cheap" deal.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . this whole conversation sort of begs the question of who are the convention "clients" . . . if the "clients" are the members and attendees that are walking the aisles and participating in the auctions the answer might well be a bit different than above. I have never purchased a hunt in an auction, but apparently many do. If outfitters find the auctions disruptive, perhaps they should stop donating the hunts being auctioned . . . but then that raises a whole different issue . . .

Mike

Posts: 21662 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote