Find
Notify
Tools

African Hunting Dogs
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted
Undoubtedly, Jack Russell terriers have quite an African hunting reputation. I admit I know little about the role they play. Anyone like to share some experiences?

Also, what are some of the other breeds of dogs used to hunt there? What are they used to hunt and how?

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Undoubtedly JR are good hunting dogs and good trackers if they are well trained, but they have a will of teir own. They are totally fearless and they will not leave a pig alone, they hate pigs. Everyone I have talked to confirms that they will chase a pig when they see them.

Although my JR is not a trained hunting dog, he can take a track reasonably well, he just loves the bush. They are also fantastic companions.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only use velcro-crested pointers
Wink

Posts: 194 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 04 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fell in love with the first ridgeback I ever saw. He was a big rambuncous (aren't they all) dog who couldn't stand being left behind. He had a great nose and I'd have lost several francolin without him. As it was I only lost a couple to him! He never quite understood that he shouldn't eat them even though he was hungery from hunting. animal

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure they were true hunters, but the ridgebacks I saw in Namibia were too cool. They kept everything away from the house, walking one evening to the main house, I heard a low growel and then the female came up to me to make sure I was supposed to be there. Thank goodness she did or I think I'd have been dinner. I'd love to have one here in the states, but have heard you have to have the right lifestyle to keep them occupied.

Posts: 107 | Location: Canyon Lake, Texas | Registered: 07 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ndlovu
posted Hide Post
i heard some real good things about boerbulls used as hunting dogs and then i've seen foxterriers being used in the bush. they were used for tracking wounded animals - wildebeest and it was unbelievable how they did it. they ran on the blood spoor and everytime found the wounded animal, isolated it from the rest of the herd and barked like crazy. the best part of all is that they dont bark at the other animals just the wounded one. that way one knows they found it. and they could go for hours

anticipation of fear is worse than fear itself

Posts: 62 | Location: Krugersdorp, Gauteng South Africa | Registered: 24 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Africanus dogs are one of my favourites.
A few friends have had them - they are good natured, loyal, smart and very hardy, due to generations of not being spoilt my sentimental whities Wink

No, really, they are great dogs...you know the ones...the skinny 'greyhound' looking muts...there is an SA Africanus assoc. I also went to a very informative talk once from a Belgian guy who lives in SA and has studied indigenous dogs all over Africa. He has traced many lineages of African dogs and is an Africanus fanatic...very interesting indeed!

The Basenji was just such an African dog originally but then fell victim to inbreeding and 'predigree' classification BS and lost much of the reason why it was deemed a great dog in the first place!!

JR's are cool too...but hyper as all hell and need lots of space (like weimaraners and GSP's!)

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kayaker:
Africanus dogs are one of my favourites.
A few friends have had them - they are good natured, loyal, smart and very hardy, due to generations of not being spoilt my sentimental whities Wink

No, really, they are great dogs...you know the ones...the skinny 'greyhound' looking muts...there is an SA Africanus assoc. I also went to a very informative talk once from a Belgian guy who lives in SA and has studied indigenous dogs all over Africa. He has traced many lineages of African dogs and is an Africanus fanatic...very interesting indeed!

The Basenji was just such an African dog originally but then fell victim to inbreeding and 'predigree' classification BS and lost much of the reason why it was deemed a great dog in the first place!!

JR's are cool too...but hyper as all hell and need lots of space (like weimaraners and GSP's!)

I did some research on Baseji's you're right! A way cool pooch! Barkless, naturally erect ears plus a naturally curled tail. Really intreging. Thanks, for bringing this breed to the thread.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
when hunting leopard last year in Botswana with hounds, all of the pack were walkers and blueticks from a mountain lion pack from the States except for one big dog. the guide said he was a Botswana Brown(some kind of local mutt that was solid brown) the U.S. dogs trailed and brought the leopard to bay but then backed off and wouldn't move in. the Bots. brown charged right into the thick thorn brush and proceeded to give the leopard hell in very close quarters( and picked up some nasty wounds in the process). when we came up the leopard saw me and immediately charged. the Brown grabbed the leopard's tail as he came for me and slowed him up enough to give me time to get my shotgun up and drop the cat with a head/neck shot at less than 10 feet. as far as i am concerned a Botswana brown is the best hunting dog in Africa!!!! jerry

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13233 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I grew up w. a couple Rhodesians -- great dogs. My brother and I would drag them around by their toungue, hang of their tail, etc and they wouldn't do anything -- but NOTHING came near the house. They need room, though -- I'd say at least 5 acres around a house, and a situation where the anyone who comes in their area can be attacked -- no neighborhood kids, etc.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I've been around some really good dogs in Namibia on ethnic German ranches. One place had a kind of Rhodesian Ridgeback dog. It was about a 35 pound affair with a pitbull looking head. Wound a gemsbok and this dog would promptly find it, bark a bit, then latch onto it and not let go. I got the impression that this dog would die before it let go of a wounded critter.

Two other places had these part German Terrier-Irish Terrier mix dogs. They kind of looked like 25 pound Airedales. You could not stare them in the eyes as they took exception to this. These were serious dogs. They would quickly bay a wounded warthog. Two of them would attack and kill baboons (witnessed!) except for the largest of males (who would tear large chunks of hide off of them resulting in a lot of stitching by the PH).

I like JRT's but these dogs were simply in a different league. They had all the heart of a JRT but considerably more muscle.

I've seen police dogs of various kinds put serious bite marks all over fleeing people but these much smaller African dogs had more pound-for-pound tough.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of the Basenji, there are breeders in the Hobart, Indiana area. I went to a ladies house to view them a few years back. They are pretty cool. They even had some that were brindle and white, the rest were reddish and white, and black and white.

Posts: 107 | Location: Canyon Lake, Texas | Registered: 07 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kurick1:
Speaking of the Basenji, there are breeders in the Hobart, Indiana area. I went to a ladies house to view them a few years back. They are pretty cool. They even had some that were brindle and white, the rest were reddish and white, and black and white.

Apparently, there is also a Brindle Basenji. I couldn't find any pictures though.

Thanks for everyones replies this has been a very informative thread.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago, my neighbors male Basenji found a way to run up my 6 foot chain link fence and have his way with my yellow Lab female. I ended up with several 35 pound minature yellow Labs which could not bark a note! They were great, and lost none of their hunting abilities in the cross.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I hunted my first boar with knife with a Rhodesian and some dogos i liked the rhodesians a lot ,Boerboels are great dogs too.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6369 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medium
posted Hide Post
My PH in the RSA had Irish Terriers named Red and Blue and their collars were corresponding colors. They had great noses and were fearless. He has had a number of them and has lost a couple to a cape cobra and one to a wounded gemsbok I think it was.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 136 | Location: Seward, Alaska | Registered: 11 April 2004Reply With Quote