New
Find
Notify
Tools

Northforks in Africa
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone used the NorthFork bullets on plains game yet? In particular I'm thinking about the 240 grain 338 out of a 340 Weatherby.

Thanks

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm just back from useing the 250 grain North Fork in africa on eland , gemsbok, warthog, impala, zebra and blue wildebeest from a 35 Whelen @2550 fps. I had a pass through on the zebra on a broadside high heart shot that broke one shoulder at 80 yards. Pass through on a quartering towards heart shot on an impala at 40 yards. I recovered some of the remaining shots. The left bullet is unfired. The next was recovered from a gemsbok bull that was looking over his shoulder at us at 40 yards, entry was next the ass found in the chest. A second shot down through the chest exited. The third bullet is from a warthog same entry, it turned as it stepped into the narrow shooting lane, found as a lump under the skin just forward of the shoulder, second shot went in top of back thru spine and out the bottom. Fourth is from a straight on shot at 80 yards on a blue wildebeest, enteredbase of neck through the spine found behind the lungs, dropped and never got up. Far right bullet was a running shot on an old eland bull at 40 yards. Entered behind lungs blew right through the opposite shoulder and was another lump under the skin on the side just forward of shoulder, it had a rough trip but went through about 4 feet of eland. A second shot as we ran up to a very sick eland passed through the lungs broadside at 20 yards. My PH was very impressed by them and the 35 Whelen.

Posts: 1471 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kev,

I hate to say it................But I told you so.

I'm glad that they met with your approval.

All the best.

Sam

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kevin. I am going to start working up loads with the 240/338 NFs and some 250 grain A-Frames. We'll see how they compare as far as accuracy goes.

Thanks again.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KevinNY ----- Check your North Fork bullets. In .338 they list 200, 225, and 240 grains but no 250 grain bullets. I shoot the North Forks and for Elk the 240 grainer is my go- to bullet for my .340 Wby. The 225 grainers also shoot extremely well with my rifle. In my opinion there is no tougher or more accurate premium made today. Just thought I would mention it as a clarification. Good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Phurley,

Thanks but check my post, they are 35 caliber 250 grain bullets. And I agree, you could not ask for better performance from a bullet than North Fork.

Kevin

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Great to see the results. I've purchased some 250's for my .35 Whelen also. I plan to tote it along to Namibia next year. What powder did you use? I've had great results using Reloader-15 with the 250's, but not loaded any of the Northforks yet.

Posts: 156 | Location: Satsuma, Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have used them in Africa, in the 375, 416 and will be using them in my 404....I have a lot of recovered bullets and they look just like Kevins, all picture perfect..I have gotten very few pass throughs, probably due to the extensive expansion..

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KevinNY ----- Sometimes I look but don't see, sorry about that. I use the 250 grain North Forks with my .358 STA as well as the 270 grainers, they are some kind of awesome. I also like your 35 Whelen, guess I am just partial to the .358 Chamberings. I am taking my STA to Africa in September. Good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used them on plains game, .375-270's worked great, expansion and penetration was there. Recovered bullets weighed 263 grains, others shot clean through zebra, etc.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bearhunter,

I used 56.5 grains of RE15 for 2550 from my 24" barrel. It is true that you have to back off from the charge for conventional bullets, in my case I came down and worked back up to 2.5 grains less powder for the same velocity as the hornady 250.

The 358STA with the 270 should be an absolute hammer.

Ray,

I had pass throughs on Impala, the finisher on my gemsbok, a 15 yard broadside finisher on my eland, finisher on my warthog and most impressively my zebra. I thought I might try the 270 grain before I go again. If I can reach 2400fps with it, I think it would be even more impressive than the 250.