THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    mho has left the range - 13 January 2013

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

mho has left the range - 13 January 2013
 Login/Join

posted
There seems to be no better place to put this as Mike loved hunting in Africa.

Mike was a wanderer, a man of eclectic tastes, a world traveler who wanted to see foreign sights and taste foreign winds, and walk on foreign soils. He was a self-contained man as few are, being comfortable in his own head without the need for constant social engagement or idle chatter. Those few he reached out to were lucky indeed, for they would soon discover an intelligent man of exceptional charity and good will. In him, I found a kindred soul who could look out upon the vastness of the western prairie and see not a desolate empty space, but a rather a place of hills, rills and little gullies, each filled with hidden wonders. One had but to walk with open mind and open eyes. I choose to remember those times and if I could speak to Mike again now, or in the moment of his passing, I would say, "Walk on, Mike. Who knows what's over the next ridge."

Capt. Rod
Piscator
Author & Angler

Posts: 24 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to hear this.

I met him a few years ago in Zurich. We spent the day together at a range.

What happened?

Posts: 234 | Location: Northern Ontario | Registered: 25 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the loss of your friend.
He was a rare breed.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
You are a good writer, well said.

God speed. Keep the wind in your face and shoot straight.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ilw:
I am sorry to hear this.

I met him a few years ago in Zurich. We spent the day together at a range.

What happened?

Esophageal cancer. Diagnosed on 10/24/2012. Mike was prolific on AR...posts must number in the thousands under mho.

Capt. Rod
Piscator
Author & Angler

Posts: 24 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to hear the bad news. I always enjoyed his posts.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
My condolences to the friends and family he left behind. He was a man of experience who conveyed that in his posts. We, and this Forum, will be poorer for his loss...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I am saddened to hear of Mike's passing.

A well written tribute.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He was the first person that I met via AR. I thur out a post that I was going to be in Zurich. He contacted me and pick my son and I up from our hotel. We spent the day at the range shooting and shooting the 'breeze'. It was just a great day. Sad to hear of his death.

Posts: 234 | Location: Northern Ontario | Registered: 25 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rod.

Ian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't have the pleasure of knowing him, my sincere condolences to his family and friends. Sounds like a good guy.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I only knew MHO from his posts, including a few which were in response to hunting reports I posted that to this day when I re-read them makes me smile.

He seemed like a very fine man.

Weidmannsheil Mike!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Sorry to learn about mho. I always enjoyed his modest but informative posts.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sad news - I enjoyed reading his posts. Very nice tribute Rod. He will be missed.

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
from his posts, Mike always struck me as a man of above average intellect but below average modesty. he will be missed.....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
from his posts, Mike always struck me as a man of above average intellect but below average modesty. he will be missed.....

So sad to hear this.

Wishing him the best in the Happy Hunting Grounds, where we will all hopefully meet.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
A terrible loss, beautifully expressed, Rod.

Another brother gone alone, over the next ridge, where we all are headed.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Lets put a face to his name - from AR Zambia hunt with Andrew Baldry in 2011

Rest in peace my friend...

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to hear this and Mike had hoped to return to Zambia. RIP mate.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Really sad news. Met him a couple of times in the UK. A very nice man!

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Condolences to family and friends

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Well written reminder of the type of man that Mike was, Thanks Capt. Rod.

I will miss him a lot - we were planning to introduce his teenage son to hunting here in the Free State in 2014!

RIP Mike!

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this. RIP Mike.

David

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
I was fortunate enough to hunt with him in Zambia, on to better things, eh Mike?

one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about this. I was on the AR hunt with Mike and as luck and circumstances would have it ended up shooting my lechwe with his rifle.

RIP Mike

George

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
God bless his soul. I will miss his posts.

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fair Winds, and Following Seas, Mike

Posts: 564 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Condolences to his family and friends.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very sad to hear, I met Mike my first night in Zambia on the AR hunt. He was immediately friendly and ready to meet new people.

I wish him well on his new trails.
Chris

Posts: 61 | Location: Reno, NV | Registered: 14 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
a moment with Mike...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I never met him in person, but I considered Him one of my AR friends.

I am saddened by his death.

My condolences to his family.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My condolences as well. We will meet again on fiddlers green. Best wishes to those he left behind.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike worked not too far from where I live. A few times every year he stopped at my place on his way home. We had a good piece of meat and a bottle wine together and enjoyed it very much. He was unique and a great character! We also hunted a few times together and had a lot of fun. I will miss him sadly.

Posts: 44 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 25 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
I didn't have the pleasure of knowing him, my sincere condolences to his family and friends. Sounds like a good guy.

+1
RIP

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of donner
posted Hide Post
+1 RIP

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Sorry to read about Mike's passing. Only knew him from his posts here on AR, and he did seem like a great fellow.

We should all be so lucky as to have a friend write such a nice obituary. Well done, Rod.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had an 8 year e mail correspondance with Mike who had an incredible knowledge of rifles, smithing and shooting. I learnt a lot from him and still have the vast majority of his mails.

He was very generous with his time and knowledge. My 7-08 wears a Jewell that he bought in the US and sent to me from Europe Wink and he sourced and purchased my RWS 8X60S brass.

In 2008 or 2009 he came across to the UK for the AR hunt organised by 'Fallowbuck'. We agreed it was time we met up so he came to me at the end of that hunt. On arrival he gave my son a swiss army knife and some Tintin books. He then gave me a very nice knife (sadly lost) and treated me to dinner. Our hunting was busy and Mike got to use his beloved R93 a few times. Not all was straightforward (what is) so after we parted I got a present through the post. Mike had seen my dogs trailing 'lead' (a long piece of baling twine!) and sent me a top notch continental trailing lead. I use it a lot (it's great for dragging too!).

Mike had a partner and a young son. He was an avid collector of rifles for his son who he had been immensely looking forward to teach to shoot. He was a member of boar hunt in Alsace and had recently bought some land/a plot/a house in Hungary - I think for his retirement.

I cannot tell you how sad this news makes me feel. He was a true gent. If there is one lesson to learn it's that life is for living NOW not later. I would imagine that Mike was able to feel that he had really packed a lot in.

Mikes strap line

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Weidmansheil Mike