Find
Notify
Tools

Placement of barrel band swivel?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted
What is the correct placement for a barrel band swivel? I am having one installed on my CZ 416 Rigby. Went by Briley's to take a look at the gun and the swivel seemed too far forward. As always, thanks for your feedback.

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
On mine the barrel band swivels are about an inch and a half forward of the fore end tip.

This placement is aesthetically pleasing and works for carrying as a practical matter, too.

Of course, all of this pre-supposes that the fore end is the correct length!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It must be placed far enough ahead of the forend so that the swivel when attached will not touch the forend and that is normally a couple of inches.. however the further forward on the barrel you set it, then the less the muzzle will protrude upward to catch on things, and give you a lower profile....

Like the English, I like mine one inch off center of the barrel that protrudes out from the forend to the muzzle, and thats one inch off center towards the forend. The forend being 8.5 to 9.0 inches on an English bolt gun.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
I'm with Ray on this one. My Greener .318 is the easiest carrying rifle I've ever owned. It sits well below the brim of my hat and has never hung up on either African waitabit bush, Southwestern Mesquite or California Chapparel. Everything else I own has, at one time or another.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't you guys know you are supposed to carry the slung rifle butt-up over the left shoulder (for a right handed shooter)?

That won't knock your pith helmet off, no way, and is faster to ready for fire. It also negates the need for a banded swivel base altogether, except for aesthetics. One can easily put a forearm mounted swivel stud on the tip or far enough forward so as not to bite the hand. This also allows more use of the sling as a shooting aid rather than just as a carry strap.

You just have to make sure the barrel is not so long as to drag in the dirt.

Placement of the banded swivel base is anywhere you want, as long as it agrees with what Ray said.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
I find that works really well with rather short firearms; 'used to carry the '16 that way a lot. And just to make sure that the muzzle stays clear, put a strip of electricians' tape over it. Keeps out mud, snow, mambas, scorpions, etc. and the bullet whistles right through it. It does help if you're not insecure about your image, of course . . .

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RIP,
If you had ever walked over a mile you would know that you will change positions of your rifle every hour or so...GET OUT OF THE TRUCK! shame

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote