Find
Notify
Tools

Prayers asked for - Leopard Hunter
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted
I wish I could say this short record of events were based on the “successful” outcome of a hunt... regrettably it was not... Well not in the way of killing our primary objective albeit successful in many other ways...

When I got news that my application for a leopard tag for 2011 was successful, I was a happy guy... I was convinced I’d be able to sell the hunt fast and I knew that we had a big Tom in the area that had been giving my neighbour hell for several years... I really WANTED to kill that cat and thought this was the opportunity!

Well; I did sell the hunt fast (on AR and within a couple of days) to a gentleman who’d already hunted Africa extensively including an 80lbs Elephant in Zim, a Lion and Leopard... pretty much everything that Africa has to offer... and I thought I had it made... In my mind we were going to shoot Mr Spots quickly, move on to some other game and I’d have another good report on AR + a good reference for those prospective clients who don’t read AR...

As things turned out we did not shoot Mr. Spots... He came into and fed on our bait once but that was it... the Honey Badgers kept him away after that... and my client went home empty-handed – save for the bait animals he’d shot... I later learned that I was one of 8 PH’s who’d had an unsuccessful leopard hunt during the same period... Whether it was the weather or whatever – the Hunting Gods simply did not smile on us that time...

An unsuccessful hunt?

Well, I’d like to share with you (without permission from the Author and therefore he shall remain anonymous for now) an email I received from him subsequent to the hunt:

“Chris; How nice that you have thought of me! Have had three surgeries, but they only required overnight hospital stays and a few days of discomfort. I decided to go to XXX cancer center in XXX, they #1 in the U.S. I will have my bladder removed there, on Dec. 7, and should be home by Christmas. If all goes well I will plan a hunt for 2012.

I have reflected often about our time together and it confirms that I don't have to kill something to have a good time. I will keep you informed about my status since they tell me I will have 7-12 days, in hospital.
Boring. Best regards, XXX

I am posting this for two reasons:

1.) This proves (in my mind) that the success of a hunt is not necessarily measured by the number of trophies you take home and;
2.) My former client (now friend) – who is an member of this forum is going in for surgery today in order to have his bladder removed due to cancer and I’d like for all of you to keep him (who shall remain anonymous) in your prayers today – God will know who you are praying for...

This was one of (no offence to other clients who have hunted with me) the most gentlemanly individuals I’ve had the pleasure of hosting in 14 years and my thoughts are with him and his family in these times.

God be with you “D”!

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I pray he stands under the African sun with you again.

Regards.

Ratty.

Posts: 210 | Location: Misplaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 21 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
My Dad was informed today that his lymphoma is officially considered to be in remission. I say this only to emphasize that I know that it is the result of many prayers and shows that cancer is imminently beatable with the right attitude. Our thoughts and prayers are with "D".

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Our prayers will be for a successful surgery and recovery. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Prayer sent for "D". I hope he gets the opportunity to chase spotted tree cats with you again!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris,
Please forward this message to your friend. I, too, hunted Africa for several years. Mostly in Botswana but also Namibia and SA. I sent my hounds over and used them for the leopard hunts in Bots. Then bladder cancer cut the fun short. The dogs were left in Bots, fortunately they ended up with Warwick Evans---what a perfect place for them!
I had my bladder and prostate removed two years ago. The Dr.s' even cut out 16 inches of the intestine to fashion into the "new bladder". The first five days after the surgery were hell! BUT, I was actually able to ride 40 miles on a snowmachine through the southern Idaho mountains and catch a nice tom cougar exactly five weeks after the surgery.
I would love to talk with your friend and give him encouragement if he wanted it. I am now healed and physically in good shape. Caught 12 bears with the dogs this summer and have already started on the cougars this winter.
Please give him my best and contact information.

Jerry Meyers
208-303-0559
hunts4u@centurytel.net

Posts: 219 | Location: North Fork, ID | Registered: 24 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Jerry, you're the man! I love hearing stories like this. And, I'm impressed that you sent your own dogs to Botswana to hunt a leopard. How cool is that. I'm assuming they had to stay in their kennels without being let out for the entire trip. What a mess.

P.S. Chris, prayers have been sent.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
"D", I sincerely wish you a speedy recovery so you can fulfill your quest for Ingwe! Take good care!

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Chris,

Nothing like a healthy dose of reality to re-calibrate our instrumentation for measuring what's important. Prayers sent for this gentleman.

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Judge Jerry:
Chris,
Please forward this message to your friend. I, too, hunted Africa for several years. Mostly in Botswana but also Namibia and SA. I sent my hounds over and used them for the leopard hunts in Bots. Then bladder cancer cut the fun short. The dogs were left in Bots, fortunately they ended up with Warwick Evans---what a perfect place for them!
I had my bladder and prostate removed two years ago. The Dr.s' even cut out 16 inches of the intestine to fashion into the "new bladder". The first five days after the surgery were hell! BUT, I was actually able to ride 40 miles on a snowmachine through the southern Idaho mountains and catch a nice tom cougar exactly five weeks after the surgery.
I would love to talk with your friend and give him encouragement if he wanted it. I am now healed and physically in good shape. Caught 12 bears with the dogs this summer and have already started on the cougars this winter.
Please give him my best and contact information.

Jerry Meyers
208-303-0559
hunts4u@centurytel.net

North Fork, Idaho....wow. Please do me a favor and sometime next February/March timeframe when the ice melts out, please head upstream and bring in a steelhead for me. Fond memories I have for some of the prettiest country on earth. A former resident of Pocatello I am.

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
MJines: cancer is imminently beatable with the right attitude. Our thoughts and prayers are with "D".

This is true. My thouhts & prayers also with "D".

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think "D" typifies the majority of hunters. He is clearly a true sportsman and a gentleman. I wish him the very best, including a successful recovery and many more days under the African sun.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We all wish a speedy and quick recovery.

And hopefully another trip for a leopard.

Best of luck.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68692 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent for D

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
Jerry, you're the man! I love hearing stories like this. And, I'm impressed that you sent your own dogs to Botswana to hunt a leopard. How cool is that. I'm assuming they had to stay in their kennels without being let out for the entire trip. What a mess.

P.S. Chris, prayers have been sent.

i used Jerry's dogs to take my leopard a few years back and they were superb!. Jerry i am glad you are doing well now. Chris, i am currently undergoing chemo to prolong my remission and will certainly pray for your client/friend.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13403 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A great sentiment and attitude by both a client hunter and a PH. Thoughts and prayers.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mohan
posted Hide Post
My Prayers are with "D"
Speedy Recovery, May the African Sun Shine on your Back,And the wind gently Blow in your Face Soon.

Posts: 97 | Location: columbus, ohio | Registered: 04 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Pray God that D recovers from this episode and that his family is supported and encouraged while they face the challenges ahead.

Great AR support.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Chris,

My prayers for a good outcome from surgey for D and recovery to full function! And that yall get that leopard this year!

Best regards,

jpj3

Posts: 141 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks, I'm sure it will warm "D"'s heart to read this thread as it has warmed mine.

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
www.ct-safaris.com

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpj3:
Hello Chris,

My prayers for a good outcome from surgey for D and recovery to full function! And that yall get that leopard this year!

Best regards,

jpj3

Words from a true sportsman, gentleman and great friend of mine... Thank you Paul!

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
www.ct-safaris.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope your friend will have a speedy recovery!

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D you are in my prayers, God's speed to a quick recovery.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
"D" you are in my prayers! I know of where you are coming from, as I had some of the knife but on the other end, with throat cncer, and it's been four years and and two surgeries, and nothing has come back yet, so I'll cross my fingers for you as well. Get well, and go back to the cat trees of Africa!

....................GOD BE WITH YOU "D"

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
our wishes for a full and complete recovery go with all the others.

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wishes for a quick recovery then back for the cat.

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
D, prayers and a speeding recovery. Africa is beckoning you back.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
D you are in my prayers

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
best wishes to a sportsman that understands what hunting is really about! thumb

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best wishes for a speedy recovery D.We are all thinking of you.jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Thoughts and prayers coming your way, D.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
prayer sent!!

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for all the thoughts and prayers folks!

Haven't heard back from "D" since his surgery but my understanding is that it may take some time for him to be back up on his feet and ready to respond.

Will let you know when I have more news. I'm sure all went well.

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
www.ct-safaris.com

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
thumb

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Chris: A very thoughtful thread. Thanks for sharing it. Please do let us know how D's surgery goes.
Best, and a very merry Christmas to you and D

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16633 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote