Find
Notify
Tools

What's on your head?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of snowhound
posted
The footwear has been covered in an earlier thread but he summer heat has made me look at buying a hat and preferably a good quality one which is also suitable for future use i Africa. I was looking at the Tilly with a strip of mesh at the top and wonder if it is any good and if I should choose olive or khaki?
What is your preferred headgear for hunting and safari, dry season or wet season?

Posts: 133 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
snowbound,

Unless you are in very open country the common ball cap is probably the best choice. The wide brimmed hats do protect from the sun but they inevitably will get knocked off your head multiple times during the day when walking through the bush. This will get irritating for everybody quickly.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use an olive Tilley with a ventilated crown. I won't use a ball cap, I need the sun protection. A super wide brim will get in the way, but a 3 inch or so brim isn't problematic for me.
Take a ball cap along, but you do want a real sun hat.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have the Tilley in both Olive and light Khaki. I prefer the Olive one for Hunting. I too, need the sun protection, having developed numerous skin cancers and having had them removed from too many sun exposures over the years. Ivan Carter personally recommended the Tilley hat to me years ago, and if you watch TAA enough you will see a number of hunters that wear it. I also carry a ball cap to be used for pictures, if I want a more "open" look with the trophies. The Tilley hat is guaranteed for life and has a great little storage area in the inside top of the hat. Don't leave home without one.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Not nearly as much hair as their used to be.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16416 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are areas where the bush is too thick for a hat but then you have some protection from the sun from the bush and a cap is probably fine.

I generally like a hat. Works great most places. Whilst travellimg om the back of the truck I find the hat blows off, so I wear a cap on the truck and leave it in the cab.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take both a wide brim and a ball cap. Used as dictated by the environment. One size does not fit all, in African hunting as in most things in life.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just noticed your location is Sweden. I suspect serious sun protection is in order.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of snowhound
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys!
I understand that a hat/ball cap combo is the way to go.
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
I just noticed your location is Sweden. I suspect serious sun protection is in order.

I'm not sure swedes are more fair skinned than any other caucasian people but adequate sun protection is always a good thing. Mad dogs and Englishmen...
On the Tilly, is the ventilated crown any good or does it just make it useless for carrying water?

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
I take both a wide brim and a ball cap. Used as dictated by the environment. One size does not fit all, in African hunting as in most things in life.

Same here. Ball cap for the thick stuff and a breezer for more sun protection in open country.

I picked this hat up in Reno a few years ago.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you sweat as profusely as I do, then the vents on the Tilleys are good at releasing a lot of that moisture and keeping your hat and head drier. I don't use mine to water the horse with, or to do the dishes. Big Grin That's what your Stetson is for. rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any ball cap that is cheap and free....

Posts: 10194 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I quit wearing a baseball cap after a longish period of hunting the Zambezi Valley in the late season in the early 90s when the tops & backs of my ears got so badly sunburned they were a mass of scabs for weeks afterwards & immensely painful.

After that I switched to cotton brimmed hats & my last 2 have been made by (IIRC) Stetson.

I'm not a Tilley fan because I like a titfer (titfer tat = hat) to have a bit of style & Tilley don't have style sofa & I'm not a fan of the Aussie Akubra hats because I find them too hot.

One of Us
Picture of snowhound
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not a Tilley fan because I like a titfer (titfer tat = hat) to have a bit of style & Tilley don't have style

It would be rude to have a better looking hat than the PH wouldn´t it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use three types of headgear in Africa or hot sunny places. # 1 is a wide brim ( 3.25 in ) brimmed Tilly style hat mostly used in open country. # 2 is a boonie type hat with 2.25 in brim. Both hats all cotton and OD green.
I also carry several dark colored green or black bandanas. When in thick bush, I will take off the boonie, fold it and place in my belt & wear the bandana until out of the thick stuff.
I am bald and find that a baseball cap does not protect from sun on back of neck and ears. I will take a baseball cap for travel if desired. The whole outfit ( everything only takes up a few ounces and all of it folds up neatly. That said, if I could only take one hat it would be the boonie for sure. The bandanas can be used for many other things and are really handy for any outdoorsman. I guess that's why cowboys always took them along.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowhound:

It would be rude to have a better looking hat than the PH wouldn´t it?

Absolutely! tu2 animal

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
For typical RSA conditions -- visor (camo), knit cap for colder times, hooded sweatshirt as needed. Think of it as layering for the head. This assumes being able to get to the bakkie between beginning and end of the hunting day, otherwise your pack needs to be larger. Floppy hats just interfere with bino use on my part, and a bandana for the neck works well. Baking in the sun after buffalo or elephant is entirely a different matter...

Posts: 4855 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
I have often thought that when on safari, one should wear a pith helmet.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I recommend a doo-rag with a cut off sleeve shirt. If it is good enough for Will it is good enough for me.

Mike

Posts: 21240 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the new trend is to wear a "gansta" style "hoodie"
Currently endorsed and encouraged by our federal government

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
For most of my 8 safaris in Zimbabwe i wore an old army fatigue hat which is OD color with a rather floppy brim all around with a tape sewn on band for sticking pieces of camoflage (branches,etc) into. The last two trips I wore a a 'ROGUE' hat I bought in Bulawayo and made in So. Africa. It has a leather brim and top piece with a mesh ventilated crown. Style is written in as a '3c1'(I looked at their catalog and it is a BREEZY 301C) from www.rogue.co.za. I like it best of all my hats especially better than a cap. it is somewhat cooler than the GI in summer and in winter. I am rather bare on top,in fact I am totally bald and blistering is not pleasant. Here in the US I wear a cap most of the time. I prefer the 'trucker' style rather than the 'baseball' kind. I actually have over 100 of them I have collected over the years so rarely wear the same one many times. I collect them at every opportunity. I'll even break down and buy one on occaison.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wear a baseball cap when I play baseball, (which is never, since I blame baseball for the decline of hunting in America) ...

... but that's me. Smiler

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take a floppy hat -- boonie style and a ball cap -- and bandanas. Between the two, they work. I started using a boonie when I shot competition -- starched the brim and brought the sides down to shade side-light. Still like that, especially for irons, but it's helpful with a scope too.

Ball cap/bandana started decades ago with my grandfather, who took me fishing on the Lower Laguna Madre when I was a kid. Tie the bandana around your head and let it flow past your ears and down your neck. Put the ball cap on top of it. Covers your ears and your neck. Works well.

Posts: 10036 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Boonie and bandana. These served me well on two tours in Viet Nam. Tried lots of other things once back in the states, but these have really worked well.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of snowhound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:
Boonie and bandana. These served me well on two tours in Viet Nam. Tried lots of other things once back in the states, but these have really worked well.

The problem I have with gear that has, or looks like it has, modern military origin is that it is or was part of a uniform and I feel it should be reserved for those that have served in that uniform. It's about respect.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I recommend a doo-rag with a cut off sleeve shirt. If it is good enough for Will it is good enough for me.

+1

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A quality hat that will always look good after many uses.I feel it best when I only need to buy things once.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowhound:
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:

The problem I have with gear that has, or looks like it has, modern military origin is that it is or was part of a uniform and I feel it should be reserved for those that have served in that uniform. It's about respect.

You're kidding right? You just forgot to include a smiley face at the end I am sure.

Better start rounding up all the ARs, AKs, SKSs, Garands, M-1s, 1911s, all the jungle boots and desert boots, etc. . . .

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe, if we put our collections together we could open a cap store. For ball cap to Africa I have a DSC cap I got a few years back. It is a real mess from sweat and grime but it makes me feel at home in Africa, very seldom wear it other than Africa.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of snowhound
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're kidding right? You just forgot to include a smiley face at the end I am sure.

Better start rounding up all the ARs, AKs, SKSs, Garands, M-1s, 1911s, all the jungle boots and desert boots, etc. . . .

Actually i am not kidding but you may be reading more into it then intended. Boots and weapons are rather generic where as headgear is often THE symbol of a unit. I guess I just want the uniform to be more than a fashion statement from e-bay.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

Without question I've been on safari in a parallel universe to most of you guys. I think I've been in 28 safari camps and honestly I've seen four people total wearing something other a ball cap. Weird!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Must agree with the boonie hat crowd. Soft, harder to knock off than the stiff brimmed hats (unless thorn catches it), doesn't get in the way of a scope, protects ears and back of neck, and lightweight. Also are quieter than hard brimmed hats when they bump branches.

Have we covered gloves yet? Wear those, too, lightweight Orvis models, mainly to handle(!) thorn, but also to protect blueing.

Regards

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Time for an AR fashion show. rotflmo
I could just imagine us all showing off our latest hats, shirts, socks, boots, etc. Big Grin
Stylish and functional! Victoria's Secret has nothing on us.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
My PH in Namibia (Jan du Plessis of Sebra Hunting Safaris) wears a Crocodile Dundee type leather hat. I wear a Camo ball cap with the logo from the Wilcox Academy Deer Hunt-a fund raiser I attend every year in Camden AL.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
Victoria's Secret has nothing on us.

You need to come in out of the sun now. nilly

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know it is a baseball cap but I like the McCallum safaris logo hat for both looks and comfort.Ball caps are less of a hastle while moving through the bush too.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
Victoria's Secret has nothing on us.

You need to come in out of the sun now. nilly

Maybe that hat is not doing its job?
Anyway you are never properly dressed for safari without your official AR hat.

Have gun- Will travel

One of Us
Picture of snowhound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twoseventy:
I have often thought that when on safari, one should wear a pith helmet.

And a fez for the sundowner.
Lets put some style back into safari!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never understood the point of ball caps. No protection from the sun or rain, except a bit for the eyes if the angle is right, stiff brims that are easily crushed if sat upon or packed wrong, and they often need to be turned around backward to avoid interference with a scope. I like a Tilley or Boonie hat with a medium brim...excellent protection for face, ears and neck, easily adjusted to fit as tight or as loose as you prefer, the ability to be quickly stuffed into a pocket or pack, and easy to slip the chin-strap on if in windy conditions or in a boat or open vehicle. The vast majority of my hunting and fishing buddies refer to my "silly Tilley", often while they stand there displaying their scabby red sun-burned ears, cooled only by the rain running freely down their necks. Yeah...very stylish and functional. Cool

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When they all get skin cancer on their face and ears, and they certainly will, they will be singing a completely different tune then. thumbdown Just a matter of time and enough exposures. Take my word for it, it will happen. By the way, Tilley is not silly if it keeps you from developing skin cancer. Big Grin Moreover, that is why Tony Makris dresses the way that he does-all covered up on "Under Wild Skies"- because he has had nearly all of the different forms of skin cancer that you can have from foolish overexposure to the good old sun when he was younger.