Find
Notify
Tools

Scopes
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
I've just had an e-mail from a friend & client in England. He's recently fitted Nightforce NSX scopes to some of his rifles and thinks they're absolutely fabulous.......I've done an internet search on them and found some very favourable write ups on them......and just wondered if anyone out there has had any experience of these scopes and if so, what did you think?

posted Hide Post
Steve,

I had one, and while very good optically, they are very large and very heavy, much moreso than similar scopes in the same magnification ranges.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Thanks George......any idea where they're made?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Australia, if memory serves.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the older models - 1 1/2-5 illuminated. An excellent scope but HEAVY.
It weighs 2 1/2 lbs in QD rings. I took it as my backup to Moz. last September. If you don't mind the extra weight, you can't have a better scope.

Posts: 219 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tom & everyone else,

My friend must think highly of them as the scopes he replaced were a Zeiss & a Swarovski.......

posted Hide Post
Steve,

The scopes seem to be built like tanks and are popular with the long range guys in the UK. They seem to be geared to high mag variables with all the bells and whistles...For ordinary hunting/stalking I much prefer my Swarovski and still think the Swarovski has the edge optically at least on the limited number of Nightforce scopes I have seen...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sit true there now making scopes like the 1-4 leupold etc ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The South African designed, Japanese made Lynx scopes are becoming very popular in Australia. Leupold Vari X III standard optics, magnification ranges and objective sizes similar to Nightforce in some models and prices less than 1/2 that of Nightforce and significantly less than Leupold in Oz.

They make a great little 4x32 with an extra inch or so of eye relief which is great on higher recoiling rifles.

Sould be dirt cheap in RSA, I'd imagine.

mike

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I looked at these and found some here at http://www.jump.co.za/Categories/CategoryListing.asp?CategoryID=321

Is the .za suffix South Africa? Are the monetary units Rand?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Frank,

".co.za" is the South African internet suffix

R2,394 is in Rand (ZAR) and is equivalent to $395.21 USD.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Nightforces may well have some Hakko (Japan) in them. Not 100% sure about this.

Lynx Optics (RSA) are one of their dealers.

Rustam

Posts: 173 | Location: Bangalore, India. | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
Australia, if memory serves.
- mike

An Australian Company but scopes made in Japan
I believe.
JL

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using Night Force Scope on a 308 Accuracy International for several years. It rides in the trunk of my work car 24/7. It gets shot a fair amount. It has worked perfectly.
They are a little big and heavy for a hunting rifle you will be carrying or putting in a scabbard on horse back.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
"Nightforce" is a brand of scopes owned by "Lightforce" a South Australian company which manufactures spotlights here. Also car spotlights / headlights.

http://www.lightforce.net.au/

My guess would be the scopes might be manufactured in Japan.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
How well do you think one of these scopes would
hold up to heavy recoil? eg on a 9.3x74mmR double which I need to 'outfit' at the moment, or a .375 to .450 range?

Nightforce 1-4x24 NXS or 2.5-10x24 NXS ?

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/index.php?catid=1&viewitem=150

edited: oops, same question as Steve's. Roll Eyes

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote