THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    what gun(s) to consider/take on a large / dangerous game hunt
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what gun(s) to consider/take on a large / dangerous game hunt
 Login/Join

posted
Am thinking on planning a hunt trip.

I've heard lots of recs, but trying to pair it down.

what I have that i think might qualify are:

ruger #1, scoped, 375 HH ( single shot.. )

supermagnum, scoped, 458 lott, ( 4+1 )

cz 550, 100-200-300 leaf iron sights, 416 rigby, ( 4+1 )

also have stuff like rem 700 30-06 and weatherby 300wbymag if i needed a small gun ( both scoped ).

I've heard the 416 is considered more a medium gun.. also with no scope, it was a 'lesser' choice. the 375 being a single, also a lesser choice. Have heard no bad on the 458 lott.

but if the 458 was a main gun I've also heard you need a backup, and a light gun.. IE.. 3 guns.

if the 458 was my main gun, which would be the backup and light? scoped 375 vs the iron sight 416? plus the weatherby? or will either of the 2 sub 366 cal guns usless to bring?

all still in the feasability stage of planning.. opinions please.

thanks

Posts: 23 | Location: florida | Registered: 07 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Something like this should just about cover it all.

fishing

Administrator
posted Hide Post
All depends on what you are hunting, and where.

Also depends on what you wish to use.

For dangerous game, a 375 is minimum.

And the bigger the caliber, the more single purpose they become.

Especially if you take a large bore double.

Having tried all sorts of combinations, I have finally settled on a 375/404 - very similar to the 375 RUM.

It is the only rifle we take - we actually take two identical rifles - and several of us use them to hunt with.

Between them, they have accounted for several hundreds of game animals, including elephants, buffalo, lion, leopards and every type of plains game.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68693 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
You need to be much more specific on exactly what you intend to hunt. Otherwise any suggestions will be pointless. Happily you have lots of options with the rifles you already own so it should be pretty easy to figure out once the target species are identified.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take what you shoot well.

PersonLly, I shoot everything except elephant to with a 416. I shoot elephants with a 500 NE.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Good points, thanks.

Ok, since I want a gun im comfortable with, ill take one I already have history with.

Since I have not picked game, with the guns I own and listed, what would be your recs for combinations and possibilities, probably excluding elephant.

Thanks

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
No matter what you are hunting, one must be armed to deal with the nastiest critter in the area.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris,

Over the years I've changed my thinking on pairings of rifles for a safari. What I've found is unless you hunting in wide open areas you really don't need a "Light" rifle like a 30 cal or 7MM. Since elephant is out and assuming you're hunting in southern Africa where a 200 yard shot would be very long indeed I'd take your 416 and 375 scoped. The 375 could cover legally for the 416 for DG should you have an issue with the 416 and the 416 will easily make a 200 yard shot on any PG. Also the 375 with solids is perfect for the small antelope.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Chris,

Over the years I've changed my thinking on pairings of rifles for a safari. What I've found is unless you hunting in wide open areas you really don't need a "Light" rifle like a 30 cal or 7MM. Since elephant is out and assuming you're hunting in southern Africa where a 200 yard shot would be very long indeed I'd take your 416 and 375 scoped. The 375 could cover legally for the 416 for DG should you have an issue with the 416 and the 416 will easily make a 200 yard shot on any PG. Also the 375 with solids is perfect for the small antelope.

Mark

Thanks for the comments.

Ok, so no need for a third light rifle, check.

Is the thinking here on the 416/375 backup that a 458 is overkill?

again, thanks for the comments.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:
No matter what you are hunting, one must be armed to deal with the nastiest critter in the area.

Right you are. This my use of the 416.

I haven't married a small rifle in over 10 years. Last thing I ever want is to have a buff charge and have a 300 Win Mag in my hand.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris,

No! The 458 is not overkill and is one of my favorite calibers but is better suited to hunting only the big stuff like buffalo and elephant rather than the 375 and 416 that are better suited to all around use.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chris,

No! The 458 is not overkill and is one of my favorite calibers but is better suited to hunting only the big stuff like buffalo and elephant rather than the 375 and 416 that are better suited to all around use.

Mark

Ah, ok, check. the larger caliber tends to limit itself to only the larger game, with the 416 being flexible for non largeer game, and the 375 is a legal caliber backup for the same... but in an emergency, the 416 could still go for a unwanted attempted close encounter of a buff or elephant.

thanks

One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Britton:
quote:
Chris,

Mark

Ah, ok, check. the larger caliber tends to limit itself to only the larger game, with the 416 being flexible for non largeer game, and the 375 is a legal caliber backup for the same... but in an emergency, the 416 could still go for a unwanted attempted close encounter of a buff or elephant.

thanks

I have shot and killed cleanly 3 elephants with 416 Rigby, it can do the job, and is easy to carry, pleasant to shoot.

First trip, brought three rifles, 300WM, 375H&H, 416 Rigby. The 300WM stays home now. Unless 400 yard shots are needed, the scoped 375 is more than up to it. I have made many 300+ yards shots with the 375, all good. Plus, as mentioned above, with solids, it is great for the small stuff. I usually bring too much ammo for the 416, not enough of the 375. About ten 375 solids is enough, depending on the bag contemplated, can't have too many TSX for it, and ten each solids/TSX for the 416 would normally be plenty, if hunting elephants/buff. If no elephant, maybe no need for the 416 solids.

FWIW, my 416 is a double, but I'm ok with iron sights out to 100 yards every day, might stretch to 200 yards but would rather get closer. With a scoped 416 bolt gun, it is for sure good past 200 yards. You will have a bit more flexibility with your rifles being bolt guns.

Post edit - Chris I am sorry, I missed the part about the 375 being a Ruger #1. I think yes, that might not make a good primary, but as long as you and your PH are OK with, then fine. Use the #1 for the stuff that doesn't bite back, and bring the 416 along for the bigger stuff. Maybe invest in a scope for the 416, and cover all the bases?

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 350 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Chris, will you be buffalo hunting? What country? Will this be a plains game hunt? Africa covers a lot of countries from South Africa (usually beginning plains game) to Tanzania where you could go on a 21 day big five safari. And everything in between.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
If Elephant is off menu, you really need take only one rifle - your 416. However, I would mount a low power scope, such as 1-6x or 1.75-6x or 2-7x. Leupold can provide all those scopes. Use QD rings so you can remove the scope and use the irons if needed.

20 years ago I regularly took a combination of 3 long guns. I now most commonly take only 1.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, plenty fir me to think about and narrow some kocation and size choices

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
take a .375 or .416 and forget about all the rest of the hoopla. better yet, use a camp rifle and save yourself a lot of money and aggravation......you are not going to war

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13403 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flipper Dude
posted Hide Post
Battery on my last safari consisted of a matching pair of Model 70s. 458 Lott with open sights, but bases attached. 375 H&H scoped. Elephant, buffalo, plains game. Can't imagine needing anything else.

Posts: 262 | Location: Huffman, TX.  | Registered: 04 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I used to take light rifles, .25-06, 7mm Mag., .338 Mag., and might still if smaller antelope were my quarry, and a tracker could carry something bigger.

But as a rule, nowadays, my light or plains game rifle is a .375.

I have come to be a believer in the old maxim: When in dangerous game country, carry a dangerous game rifle.

And in Africa I have always hunted only in dangerous game country.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can tell you how my choices have evolved, which might give you some insight into my thoughts, for whatever they are worth. I could have taken a .470 NE, .458 Lott, .458 WM, .416 Rem. Mag., .375 H&H, some variation of .300, etc. at any point.

For a while I carried my favorite .416 Rem. Mag. by Bill Wiseman and a M70 in .375. Never picked up the .375 after range day. Took buffalo, one elephant, leopard, and a sundry of plains game out to 300 yards with the .416. The .375 became superfluous.

Last trip, it was the .416 and a .300 magnum. Took one shot with the .300 because it was a rather long shot at a small animal and missed. Probably would have made that shot with the .416, but we'll never know.

This year, you guessed it, it will be the .416 and because of ammunition weight restrictions, a M70 in .30-06.

The .416, of whatever variety, is, in my opinion, the most versatile caliber out there and it would/will be in my hand at all times, until the last moments of a dedicated stalk on something small. Sure a .458 is bigger, but it is less versatile. Also, as others have said, take what you shoot best. For me, it is my .416.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple more good choices for the heavy: I own a custom VZ24 in 404 Jefferys & an old M70 Jim Kobe did for me in 460 G&A. My version is a straight 375 RUM necked up to 458 caliber, and so marked to get me thru African customs without any issues.

For a light(er) rifle, I own a very nice OM 70 in 300 H&H. It or a 9,3x62 Mauser bolt rifle would be fine.

JMHO,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Take the scope off the .458 and fit it to the .416. You can do it all.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks for the comments guys, lots to think about, including scoping the 416

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your 416 Rigby will handle everything with ease. I'd scope it.

posted Hide Post
it's beginning to sound like the 416 is the versatile gun of my group, especially if i'm not going for the super big stuff... or blue whales or dinosaurs. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If no elephant, consider 350 grain bullets in the Rigby. A good quality bullet like a Swift or Barnes will handle buffalo and anything smaller with ease. Nice flat trajectory too!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i had been using federal safari in the 416 fusion in the 458.

I do have some flat point solids for the 416

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris,

If I wasn't clear before I do agree with the others that you'll want a scope on the 416. A lower end variable might be best suited for it. Also as others have said with the 350 TSX the Rigby can be a real screamer being more than adequate for buffalo and 300 yard shots on PG.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will have to throw in with all that said the 416. I have used my .416 on my last two hunts where I've taken buffalo, tuskless, and plains game ranging from bush buck to Zebra.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
take a .375 or .416 and forget about all the rest of the hoopla. better yet, use a camp rifle and save yourself a lot of money and aggravation......you are not going to war

what he said.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gotta agree, scope that 416 and go hunting!

Posts: 51 | Location: South East Ohio | Registered: 27 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
I'm boring, but here goes:

If one rifle .416. The .375 would have been my first choice but only if it's a bolt rather than single shot.

If two rifles, .30-06 and .458. The .458 is better for buffalo and the .30-06 is better for plains game. These two would be a "no compromise" solution. You could substitute the Weatherby for the .30-06, but IMO that adds noise and recoil with little benefit.

Sorry for the boring suggestion, but I for one do better with the .30-06 than the magnums (ok I'm a wimp). All the big bores recoil more than I like. As I said, I'd feel better with the .375,but I don't like a SS for dangerous game.

Tanzania in 2006! Had 141 posts on prior forum as citori3.

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My regular 'small game' hunting rifle is a REM 700 30-06, hunter with it for ? Over 20ys.

One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
Each of my three sons and I have .30-06's. Seems to do whatever we ask of it. If you have 20 years of experience with it, why not take that faithfull compnion to Africa?

Tanzania in 2006! Had 141 posts on prior forum as citori3.

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hmm, didn't know how it might looked at, sub caliber and all.. Compared to the big irons..

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I would put a scope on the CZ 416 Rigby & hunt everything out to 250 meters with that.

You could then have 400 gr loads for DG 7 340 or 350 gr for PG. I had my CZ set up like that.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with scoping the .416 and taking the old, reliable .30-06. I would not recommend different bullet weights for the same rifle. It gets too confusing. I also like to put a sticker on my cheek piece that gives me the drop for my particular load at various ranges, just for quick verification.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Smiler gun cheat sheet!

One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I also like to put a sticker on my cheek piece that gives me the drop for my particular load at various ranges, just for quick verification.

This is excellent advice.

Also - spend the $3K to go to SAAM school. You will wring out your rifles with guys that know things, and it will save you that in trophy fees for critters lost. When you roll into your rifle, and KNOW you have that shot cold, you da man then. The trackers and your PH will love you for it. I still remember the tracker in RSA - shot buff at 100 yards, with irons on double - "XXXX YES, this guy can shoot!" After that, things were pretty cool.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 350 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Of all the large caliber choices, I'd recommend something with common ammo. It's rare, but if the airline loses your ammo case, you will be able to replace .375 and .458. Never a chance to replace .585 HE (Whatever the hell that one is. I just saw it on another post).
Cal
PS. Do as I say, not as I do as on my last four or five overseas hunts I took a .600 nitro.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote