Find
Notify
Tools

.458 Lott for a one gun Safari?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I am leaving for South Africa and Tanzania in 10 weeks, and am starting to re-think (second guess myself on?) rifles. My primary objective will be a buffalo or two in Tanzania, but I will spend a week in S.A. hunting plains game, with my focus being bushbuck and nyala. Possible other game hunted in S.A. will be Kudu, Impala, and Gemsbok.

I have been shooting my .450 Watts (.458 Lott) a lot and have become confident with it. The rifle fits me well and handles well for me. What I am thinking is that if I only take the Watts, I can use 400 grain Barnes X bullets for the S.A. hunt, then re-zero and use my 500 grain load for Buffalo. I was thinking I would take 30 each of soft point and solid loads in 500 grain weight, and 40 of the 400 grain X loads. Since the game I am interested in is generally shot at close range, but requires a fast handling rifle, the Watts might be a good way to go for me personally.

My alternative is to take the Watts and a second rifle; either my M70 in .375 H&H, or my Browning Model 95 lever action in .35 Whelen (not practical, but fun). My focus is more on hunting and the overall experience than on shooting a record book "whatever."

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Norbert>
posted
For years I am using my .458 Lott (Watts) on one rifle safaris, using 500 gr and 400 gr bullets. I don�t need extra zeroing for the 400 gr, because it is 5" high relative to the 500 gr. This is just midway between the center of my duplex and the beginning of the upper broad line of the crosshairs. So I can shoot any animal from baboon to elephant on a one days stalk. The 400 gr I use up to 225 yards.
The 400 gr Woodleigh PP is also a good bullet for plains game.
I take with me 30 to 40 rounds altogether, enough for more than 10 animals.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Norbert (edited 06-06-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I consider the Lott a more specialized round for the really big stuff....

For a one gun Africa rifle in Tanzania I would choose the 416 in one configuration or the other..Its a good long range gun with the 300 and 350 BarnesX and a dandy for the bigger stuff with the 400...One could probably get by well with the 350 Bx for everything, Ross Seyfried did and recommends it...

The 375 H&H is another good option with solids and softs...Woodleighs new 350 gr. bullet at 2300 to 2400 FPS should be a grand bullet in the 375. I'm not much of a 375 fan (although I have always had one) but it does work 99% of the time and you always have a PH to back your play..If I HAD to hunt the world with a 375, I'd certainly get by...that applies to the 9.3's and the 338 as well, after all shot placement is still king...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
L-N-B,

Under NO circumstances would I travel overseas without two rifles! Not just because I am left-handed and left-handed spare rifles are as scarce as honest politicians, but because bad things can happen (scope failure, mount failure, broken extractor, broken stock, etc.).

Before I got my M-70 .470 Capstick this past weekend, I was going to take two .375s to Tanzania since they require .375 (or 9.3 x whatever) for buff. I could not take a chance on having my .375 fail and not have a spare rifle of at least .375 caliber.

Now, the .470 is my primary, and the .375 is my backup buff rifle and primary plains game rifle.

Just a word to the wise....
George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
George, as a fellow left-hander I'm really interested to know more about your .470 Capstick. As you well know, big-bore, dangerous game rifles in left hand are a pretty scarce commodity. Please tell us how it was built, by whom and with what components.

------------------
NRA and GOA Life Member
Do your part to protect our 2nd Amendment rights and preserve our hunting heritage!

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mark,
Contact me at the email in my profile for the details.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Ray:

I agree that the .416 is a better "one gun" choice, but I don't own a .416 and I do own a .450 Watts, that I can shoot respectably. Shooting off-hand with full power hunting loads, I consistantly put 3 shots into a 12-inch circle at 100 yards in less than 20 seconds.

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
L&B,
Like I said, I could get by with anything that shoots, I suppose we put to much imphasis on caliber and such...I have no doubt I could get by with a 450, 500, 300 Savage, or whatever in Africa or anywhere else, if I had too...Many have.

Norbert gets by just fine with his Lott and I'm sure you can with your 450 Watts.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote