THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Houston Convention and my Mastercard

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Houston Convention and my Mastercard
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted
After 2 days at the convention I need to give my feet and my wallet a rest. Here is a recap ala Masterdcard commercial style:

Books (Nyati and Geoff Brooms "A Life on Safari": $125

3 year renewal of African Hunter: $180

Red Oxx duffel, backpack,etc: $485

Lion cuff links, misc jewelry and curios: $500

Commiting to your first buff hunt: PRICELESS (actually pricey!!)

Having to wait until May 06: PAINFUL!!!!!!!!!!!

What a great time. Enjoyed visiting with the likes of Johan Calitz, Norman Crooks, Geoff Broom and Craig Boddington. Also had the opportunity to have dinner with Dene Bird, a PH with Balla Balla Safaris..first class guy. I will try to post a few pictures once I figure how. Already looking forward to new years show.

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
WTG! Congrats!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I met Dene Bird too. Nice guy, and what I beautiful mountain ranch!

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed talking to Dene Bird and also to Jo-Anne Bezuidenhout with Balla-Balla. Both are first class folks. thumb

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Valued Guests

To those whom took the time out to visit with my nephew [ Dene Bird & girlfriend Joanne ] at the show, thank you kindly. Seems like the Houston Convention was a blast and all had a good time.

Just thought I might mention a short note of sadness and courage.

Last August we were fortunate to host Butch Winter from Dixiegunworks in TN at our Dendro Park Ranch Zambia. Butch took a very nice cape buff and a Kudu as well with his Blackpowder Pedersoli Double rifle.

The very sad touch is Butch passed away less than two months after returnining home following the hunt. Unknown to us all at Balla-Balla Safaris Butch had a serious illess prior to hunting with us BUT even with the obvious pain he was experiencing he had the will and fortitude and pushed himself to fulfill his Africa Dream that a lot of hunters have.

On a note of courage, his dear daughter Apryl drove 12hrs straight from Tennessee to Houston to be at the show and meet with Dene & Joanne on the Saturday. Apryl was able to sit down and talk about her father with Dene and his experiences of the hunt. Apryl was also able to talk to Dene and caption the photos which her father had taken both on route to Africa and in the bush.

The love of a daughter for her father has no limits, what a wonderful lady. All our thoughts are with her and the family.

Take care and have a wonderful 2005 and beyond

EMAIL Peter  Balla-Balla Company Portfolio
Peter J. Bird

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balla Balla:
Valued Guests

To those whom took the time out to visit with my nephew [ Dene Bird & girlfriend Joanne ] at the show, thank you kindly. Seems like the Houston Convention was a blast and all had a good time.

Peter, I talked to Dene at the Dallas show, and told him to tell you hello. He and I agree you need to come to the Dallas show next year! We had a ball this year, with all the guys from AR, and those of us "Double Rifle Shooter's Society (DRSS) members in attendance! Looking forward to seeing you here next year!

Sad note about Butch Winter, but one thing for sure he had "been to see the elephant" so to speak, before he passed! That is more than most can log down in their lives. Therough (spl) said, "It is a tragedy to lie on your death bed, and realize, you have not lived at all" He was spared that realization! Do you know what caliber his Pedersoli double was?

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Mac

I must certainly try to get to the show in the future, problem is I dont know if at my age 61, I could handle all the [wild characters] from the AR Forums, they seem to party toooooooo much (-:

My other problem is I want to try to ALSO get to Africa for their FULL hunting season ( April - October ) and the budget will not stretch toooooo far, but lets see how 2005 pans out.

Butch useed a Pedersoli double 45/70 .... BOTH he and Dene agreed it is a fime rifle for cape buff as long as one can get up close [ which of cource is what ALL buff hunter ) aim to do in any event, at least those with the nerves of steel.

I believe Butch got his ammo for the hunt from

> Lee Hawes The Buff Hunter
> Hawes Ranch Outfitters
>
> Vice-president Kansas Outfitters Assn

Take care

Regards, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow!
What a great story. Way to go, Butch Winter. You really got to admire a guy who'll use his last legs to chase a buff down. With a BP 45/70 hammer gun no less.

R.I.P. Butch

Hmmmm...
45/70 BP Hammer gun...
He must have waived it around in the air and SCARED THAT BUFF TO DEATH Big Grin

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balla Balla:
Mac

I must certainly try to get to the show in the future, problem is I dont know if at my age 61, I could handle all the [wild characters] from the AR Forums, they seem to party toooooooo much (-:

Take care

Regards, Peter

Well, Peter I'm 68, and Ray is 70 so you would fit right in, as a young kid in the crowd! beer

I'm hopeing to get to hunt with Dene, in the future!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, Peter I'm 68, and Ray is 70 so you would fit right in, as a young kid in the crowd! beer

I'm hopeing to get to hunt with Dene, in the future!

Mac wow,

Ray is now officially 70, the dogone old dog still has some spirit left in him then from all the stories I have heard.

Is it possible he can make another trip to Africa or do we need to chaperone him once he arrives there. Knowing Ray I am sure we could bring him around to being the TOUR LEADER or master of ceremonies for the group.

Maybe we can do a ( SPECIAL AR OLD MANS ) REUNION hunt in South Africa sometime .... Nobody UNDER 60 ....

Maybe I can sweet talk my brother [ Dene's father ] into an old mans special plains game hunt, with a lot of watching sunsets the moon and braai's and less hunting ???

We have very nice facilities for those less fleet of foot and more inclined to CAMPFIRES and the good life.

I personally want to go to Africa this season if humanly possible, for 6 months minimum, I must therfore start a new thread to EXPLAIN my proposed plan as it might have a spin off for someone with a NZ interest.

Peter