New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why gaitors?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was reading the thread about gaitors and don't understand the need. It seems that most of the gaitors worn are about the same height of a high top boot. Why not just wear a high top hunting boot, if the purpous is to keep the junk out of the boot? No offence meant to anyone, I really don't understand.

Posts: 467 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A gaitor seals the top of the boot more effectively as its closer fitting to the leg.

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A pair of 6" to 9" canvas gaitors is absolutly a must in most of Africa..as it keeps the seed (a form of sticker that works into the skin and leaves a festering wound that is pretty grim) out of your socks that will work into the skin. Another option is to wear boat tennis shoes and no socks like many PHs do, but most of us are not comfortable without socks..

Trust me they are needed......

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42131 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was reading the thread about gaitors and don't understand the need.

I have hunted in the Selous, Gonabisi, Northwest porvince in SA, and the Free State, never used them. I used ankle high boots with short wool socks, never had a need. Uuhhmm, just like hunting in Northern California before the snow falls.

But then I use the same loads in my 300 Win Mag for plains game in SA as I would use for elk in the US. stir

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
I suppose you can do without them, and deal with the odd pebble, thorn or tick that makes it way into your socks, but there are some times of the year when the grass is "in seed" or whatever the term is, and one's socks will be covered with burrs. If nothing else, one needs them that time of year.

Also good for not snagging your socks when walking, thorns will not dig into the synthentic or leather gaiters.

In NZ I think the over the calf gaiters are required equipment, even with long pants, because of the brambles and mud, etc.

I haven't had the guts to wear boat shoes, without socks, though I guess you could. I noticed the first few deep cuts on the hands or ankles are really noticeable, but after a while you sort of ignore them, and I think this is how experienced hunters get away with no socks or even wearing sandals.

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
Haven't worn gaiters on either of my two trips to Africa. Not right or wrong, I just didn't use them and didn't have any issues with crap getting past my long pants (oh the dreaded denim jeans) and 8" high hunting boots. Now in shorts and shorter boots might be another issue.

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GaryG,

They seal off the sock ABOVE your boot from seeds etc and they also protect the lacing area of your boot from them, even if the boots have gussetted tongues.........

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have hunted in the Selous, Gonabisi, Northwest porvince in SA, and the Free State, never used them. I used ankle high boots with short wool socks, never had a need. Uuhhmm, just like hunting in Northern California before the snow falls.

Come try the Kalahari early season with shorts and boots only. I normally have an extra pair that clients normally beg for...

The short, seedy sour-grass are hell on your ankles, and on the Cruiser's radiator.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
I have a very severe reaction to tsetse fly bites. They like to get into long pants and bite through socks, I have found that gaitors are very good protection against this attack.

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I think this wearing of gaiters assumes you are wearing shorts. I have made 8 trips to Zimbabwe and hunted a total of well over 200 days. This is in almost all areas of the country. I have worn Russell High Country Sheephunters on each of these trips accompanied by long pants and longsleeve shirts. Almost all this hunting has been in the months of August/September. I have never felt the need for gaiters for any reason. I don't remember ANY occaison of seeds or burs in my socks at all. Just lucky I guess.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When hunting while living in Namibia i wore long pants and boots with socks and some times shorts and courtney safaris without socks. However, I would recomend gaiters because your paying a lot of money, going a long way, you don't want anything to mess it up. Take all precausions and be prepared anything. Something as small as a thorn and be a terrible problem.

aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
I've hunted with and without gaiters (wearing shorts and tennis shoes). I must say that the gaiters just keep your feet more comfortable with less junk getting in the shoe. My PH has always worn shoes with no socks. After years and years of this, his feet now look like something out of a horror movie. He's now trying to wear socks, but with his feet in the current condition, a pair of socks last about a week. 'Don't think he's going to get a pedicure anytime soon either.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even the trackers that I have hunted with wore gaiters. They wear long coveralls over a shirt ad shorts, and occasionally take the coveralls off when temps peak over ~110-115*.But they wera gaiters full time.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the trips I have made, I normally wore long pants and didn't have a real need for gaitors.

When I wore shorts, it was another story. Gaitors helped a bunch keeping the trash out of your socks/shoes as others memtioned above.

In Namibia this year I wore leather gaitors for few days and later tried the canvas type (both types provided by my PH). It was to hot for long pants in the afternoons.

I liked the canvas type better. The leather ones made my feet/boots sweat---way to hot for me.

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you wear low shoes they are a good idea. If you wear good old American 10" hunting boots, you don't need them. There is no way they can give a tighter seal than a hunting boot properly laced. The above comment about long pants is absolutely correct as well.

DC300

Posts: 334 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Even with trousers, gaiters will keep the ticks from crawling up your legs.

I spray mine with Permethrin to boot (if you'll pardon the pun).

Gaiters are your friends!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13612 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wear gaitors most of the time when hunting in Africa, mainly because,,,, I hate picking out all the seeds and thorns that hang in the part of the sock exposed above my boots or shoes and out of boot laces. Some areas of Africa are worse than others for the stickers but to have and use them is tremendously better than to not have and want them there. Take a pair.....

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cazador2
posted Hide Post
You can see me wearing them in my avatar, riding a horse.
They really help, and I have used them in all my hunts. This are a copy of a spanish model that I have specially made for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seeds and river sand is why I went to them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, and they help keep your laces from getting snagged by thorns, etc.

JW

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you hunt where there are grass seeds and your wearing socks you had better wear gaitors, or you will have ugly sores that take forever to heal and end up in deep holed running sores in your skin, it ain't a pretty sight and it can cause serious infections. I wear gaitors even with high top boots and long pants. It doesn't take but one hunt to teach you a lesson you will not forget.

They are not needed everywhere, but I wouldn't be caught without a pair in Africa just in case I needed them. Its the best $10.00 investment out there for the African hunter.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42131 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote