THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Burkina Faso Security Update for Hunters Provided by Ripcord Security

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Burkina Faso Security Update for Hunters Provided by Ripcord Security
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.huntingreport.com/w...te.cfm?articleid=752

Burkina Faso Security Update for Hunters Provided by Ripcord Security

(posted January 20, 2016)

Overview

After a democratic and violence free elections process, Burkina Faso is the latest target in attacks led by Al Qaeda in Maghreb (AQIM). On January 15th, just two months after an AQIM hotel attack in Mali, a group of 7 armed gunmen began an attack on Le Cappucino Café, a restaurant frequented by tourists and expats. The attack continued into the nearby Splendid Hotel where over 200 foreign nationals were present for a conference. Targeting westerners, the gunmen killed 28 and held 176 more hostages. French military Special Forces were called from nearby Mali to respond to the incident. Negotiations ceased at 1am on January 16th when French soldiers assaulted the hotel and freed the hostages including 50 wounded civilians. Four of the six gunmen were killed and two fled the scene. The French military swept through the city in search of other attackers. One attacker was found and killed at a neighboring hotel. Ouagadougou remains under curfew until the military operations cease.

One day after the attacks in the capital, two Australian nationals were kidnapped by a group of armed men outside of the city of Djibo near the Mali border. The Australian nationals were the owners of a surgical clinic which provided medical care to the local population. The couple's kidnapping has been claimed by AQIM but no purpose behind the kidnapping has been given.

The Mali Connection

AQIM has increased activity since the terror attacks by Islamic State (ISIL) in Paris and West Africa in order to boost recruitment efforts in West Africa; first, in Mali and then in Burkina Faso with a similar attack on a similar hotel target. AQIM's historical region of control is being actively contested by ISIL affiliated groups. AQIM major strongholds are in Mali, particularly in the region near Timbuktu including the cities of Mopti and Segou. These cities lie less than 100 miles from the Mali-Burkina Faso border. With the recent instability of the Burkinabe government coupled with a new Western leaning government, Burkina Faso is a new target for AQIM. The situation is expected to intensify as AQIM is undergoing an internal rift which could spawn competitive splinter groups. The border with Niger presents further risks as the Boko Haram affiliated groups have pledged an allegiance to ISIL. Burkina Faso could become one of the most contested countries for terror groups in West Africa.

Traveler Advice

The capital of Ouagadougou remains under curfew. It is unclear how long the curfew will last and if military forces will encounter resistance. Military presence around the country will likely remain high in the coming weeks.

While hunting areas are still open, trips to those areas should be pursued with extreme caution as many of them are near the Malian border. Hunting areas around Reserve du Sahel are less than 50 miles from the town of Djibo where the most recent kidnapping occurred. Southern hunting areas near Reserve de L'Arly remain an option but the risk remains high.

Prospective travelers to Burkina Faso should ensure they remain with trusted local guides and drivers at all times both in and out of any hunting areas.

Get important news bulletins like this sent directly to your email 24 hours before anyone else sees them, plus unlimited access to our database of hunt reports and past articles, a special expanded electronic version of our newsletter and more! Upgrade your Hunting Report subscription to Email Extra today. Click here for more information.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9500 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Sounds exciting.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9982 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I hate to say it but wherever there are Muslims, trouble follows

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.pendjari.net/IMG/jpg/limites.jpg

The NP W is closed because of terrorist activity inside and at the border of Niger.

Posts: 282 | Location: France / Germany  | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
I hate to say it but wherever there are Muslims, trouble follows

Having lived in Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Azerbaijan I have to say that I have not found that to be the case.

What I have found is that wherever there are people there is trouble.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
You are right, Milo. Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Iran, Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt, Syria, Afganhistan, Indonesia, Turkey, Libya, Morocco,Mali, Nigeria, CAR, Yemen, etc, etc, etc etc are the epitome of stability.....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13443 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JD, you left off Somalia and the Sudan.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
You are right, Milo. Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Iran, Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt, Syria, Afganhistan, Indonesia, Turkey, Libya, Morocco,Mali, Nigeria, CAR, Yemen, etc, etc, etc etc are the epitome of stability.....

LOL!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
JD, you left off Somalia and the Sudan.

Damn I knew I was forgetting something..Of course I also forgot Pakistan, Algeria, BAngladesh and probably half a dozen other garden spots.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13443 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote