New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dallas SCI convention
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
When is the convention this year? Any recommendations on where to stay? I've got a hunt booked and want to meet the PH who will be in Dallas.

Any help is appreciated.

John

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
John,

Friday 27th thru Sunday 29th

The Reniaissance Hotel is the "offical" hotel others stay at the Marriot Suites-Market Center.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fritz454,
The Dallas show is January 27,28 and 29th CHEERS

Posts: 124 | Location: CA | Registered: 19 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where are most of the AR members staying?

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So it's right after the Reno SCI Show. which is the 18th to the 21st.

How about some contact info to make reservations? Do you need to be a member for the Dallas group? Thanks for all the help. I'm looking forward to this.

Who is planning on attending.

Anyone doing both Reno and Dallas?

I've been going to the regular SCI show for a lot of years but Pierre Von Tonder won't be there and I really neeed to meet him if I'm going to be spending 28 days with him.

Thanks again,

John

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
John,

DSC, has a website with all of the info you are asking about. Non-members are welcome, thats how I got to see it last year (day pass).

I will be there this year and will stay at the Marriot (res. 800-228-9290).

Met Pierre Von T., last year at DSC, he seems like a great guy. But, he was seen the the company of Ray A., and Judge G. roflmao

Hog Killer

Hog Killer

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.biggame.org is the DSC website and should have all the info you need.

Posts: 308 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz454:
So it's right after the Reno SCI Show. which is the 18th to the 21st.

Anyone doing both Reno and Dallas?

I've been going to the regular SCI show for a lot of years but Pierre Von Tonder won't be there and I really neeed to meet him if I'm going to be spending 28 days with him.

Thanks again,

John

Fritz, the DSC (DALLAS SAFARI CLUB) has no conection to SCI (SAFARI CLUB INTERNATIONAL) There is a chapter of SCI in the D/FW area, but it has no connection to the DSC show! DSC has a website, and membership is not needed to visit the show, you can buy tickets at the door, and a membership if you want!
Come on down, you'll like it!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
All you need to do is show up and pay your day/weekend fee and you walk in.

Most of the AR guys will be hanging round Ray's, Mimms, Wendell's booths.

The DRSS will be drooling ove whatever George Caswell has laid out at his booth just across from Mimm's.

A great time for all, I promise!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
John,

You will have a blast many of us there...
Looking forward to meet you ...
Marriot suites Market Square you get a damn nice room private bed room and suite..Stayed there last year and loved it...Wife coming with me this time...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fritz 454,
I'll see you there. I'm going there to meet the same guy, Pierre, but I'm the second string, I'll only be hunting for 16 days. What are the dates of your hunt, mine run the first couple of weeks in October.

Posts: 273 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How does the Dallas show compare with the Reno show, as far as number & quality of exhibitors? I've been going to the Reno show only and I was wondering if I was missing something in not going to Dallas?

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Yes, for the unanswered question... at Dallas Safari Club there will be free booze and Ray's 106th birthday party in my suite. Damn.. this is getting to be a habit.

Pierre will be there and will tell the true story of the "Mountaintop" experience.. only he will probably wet his britches again when telling his version...

All this is contingent, of course, of the suite being wheelchair accessable for Ray.

Again, I'll have the bar brands, you folks bring your favorite "super hooch". I'll have some Oban or something for you cheap guys.

For those of you who haven't attended, it is semi-family-friendly (say 10 years old and up... that's children... girlfriends have to be 15), good looking wives are encouraged to attend, of course ... we had some last year and expect them back.

How many did we have last year... maybe 30 different members if you count both nights. Anyone have a picture of the dinner at Papago's that can post it.. or them again?

I encourage all who wish to come to my suite for the party. Last year we had several PH's who could talk to prospective hunters without the pressures that exist of booths, wantabees and interuptions... except for Ray's belching and gas, that is.

Dallas is about a third the size of Reno. It is much more personal and many of us don't spend the big bucks that Reno seems to encourage. Most don't go to the dinners but group up and go out for our own hoopla.

The Marriott only cost $89 a night last year and breakfast was included.. or at least I didn't pay for mine. It is a 5 minute walk from the convention center.

Frank, Rusty, Dale, Mayor, PWN, Mac, Tony, Alan, Rich, HogMeister with the great .458 Lott, DavidW, Wendell, (and Mims... we'll pay for your taxi home) etc.... are ya'll coming?

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Looking foward to meeting all. Be my 1st DSC. Can"t wait.
Gene

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't wait. I'll be there and will bring some scotch in celebration of Ray's 106 years. Although it won't be quite as old as Ray it should be smoother.

Lewis50 I'm off for 28 days as a retirement gift to myself Sept 1st 2007 to the 28th. A few other formites will be joining in as well so I am looking forward to a good time.

I knew DSC and SCI were not the same it's just I always make the SCI show and with the DSC so close I'll just have to take a full two weeks off. Oh well.

Judge, I'm partial to the Balvenie 21 yr old but there are some others that are good. I got turned on to Glenlivet French oak finish and although it's cheap it's not too bad. McCallen (sp?) is another favorite. Count me in to help with the booze supply.

It will be great to meet all of you guys. I’ll get reservations in the am.

John

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Now we aren't asking for doantions and we ask that you don't bring gift to Ray's birthday bash.

However, if anyone wants to pitch in on the years supply of monogramed Depends for Ray please contact me. roflmao

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will Butch Searcy be at this location or is he just going to be at Ray Atkinson's booth?

Some of us have to get measured for one of his rifles...

Richard

Posts: 32 | Location: tx & vic | Registered: 09 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rgp:
Will Butch Searcy be at this location or is he just going to be at Ray Atkinson's booth?

Some of us have to get measured for one of his rifles...

Richard

You might give Butch a call, but he hasn't been there for three yrs, and I could be wrong, but I don't think he is coming this year! Confused

For your measurements you can get on his web-site, and I believe download, and print his measure form, and have someone else measure you. The instructions are simple, but you cant do it yourself. The form is identical to the one H&H uses. beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch will probably be at my booth and Johan Calitz's booth, back and forth being the social butterfly he is!! clap beer

He will have some new goodies that only I know about at the booth and I just might take one home with me, who knows!!!!!!!!! sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, where is the link to the personalized, engraved and otherwise special invitation to the birthday cake flame...Arthur Olds

Posts: 201 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allright everyone, as I am planning my first safari, I will be at the dallas show, I would really like to get to meet a few of you guys and would apreciate any help you guys can provide as to outfitters and/or booking agents to go with, I would like to plan my trip for 2006 but would have no problem waiting for 2007. I live in austin and have a few friends in dallas so I will probably be staying with them. As I don't really know anyone in the hunting community over there, would it be alright if I hung out with you guys??
I'll buy the first whisky bottle.

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Patricio
Just look for the first person you see with an AR hat that says DRSS on it. We will take care of you.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I second Tony's (.450 No.2) motion... but be sure to have a good bondsman's telephone number.

Of course your are welcome. You can avoid the rush of everyone giving me wonderful bottles of single malt by sending me a few hundred dollars immediately and I'll just drink my fill between now and the DSC convention... Big Grin

BTW, save taxi money. You won't want to be driving after the birthday party. It's hard to drive after the Cajun dinner at Papago's... or does the 22 Margarita's have something to do with it?

You will meet folks that have been there and done that.. experience, b.s., quiet accomplishment, journeyman PH's, legends, frauds and true believers. It is a circus, Disneyland and a candy store for us addicted old farts... and then you might even decide to go inside the convention hall and see what they do in there???

Come.. You won't regret it (DSC) or the birthday party. Heck, Ray will demonstrate the proper method of wearing Depends, Alan Johnson will relive his elephant/buffalo/bushbuck charge(s) (again demonstrating the value of Depends) and I will just keep on crapping in my pants.

I, too, will have on the hat (DRSS), provide the booze, the meeting room and three-quarters of the foolishness.. and be very glad to meet you... and those others similarly deposed (or is it indesposed?.. or disposed and indisposed... anyway... inclined to do it!)... Heck.. the invite is open.. the only qualification is that you've been there already, unless you haven't, then you get a dispensation.. but pretend don't know you me, Ray, Mac, Rusty or Tony. They may let you in the hall.

Mims... just don't sell me another TuffPac that you've already sold, please.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bit of advice. I live in Dallas. I always get a room at the Marriott, Fri and Sat.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine who goes to both the Reno & Dallas shows each year, told me he thought the Reno show was about 4-5x bigger than the Dallas show (this was after 4 beers). I'm not trying to take anything away from the Dallas show - I'm just trying to figure out how it compares to Reno. I realize that Reno won't have a AR party suite. bawling

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be at both so if anyone wants to get together for a beer let me know.

Of course I'll be at Rays gathering in Dallas Realy nice of you Rusty adn Judge and the other that put it together. If I can offer any asistance please let me know.

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes Reno is 5X's larger than Dallas, but it lacks that down home atmosphere, Reno is interested in one thing only, your money....Reno is very repeticious, one booth after another of the same thing, so Dallas will save you a lot of leg work and you don't have to eat $6.00 hotdogs and $4.00 cokes, the judge furnishes lunch on Monday... troll sofa

In Dallas you will be among friends from the minute you get there until you leave, just come on by our booth on the right wall as you enter and the big baloon up in the air, unless it has a hole in it, but you can find Atkinson Hunting Adventures and I will introduce you to everyone, they all hang out there and we have a habit of embarressing each other, and I assure you they will lead you astray... beer

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I have to be in the USA for that convention because it is the easiest way to see Butch Searcy. If I have 24 hours to spare before the convention I'll smoke a few briskets and bring them along with a gallon of jalapeños in case anyone wants some munchies.

Also are these "new goodies that only I know about at the booth and I just might take one home with me" referring to the new small frame .450/400's? I think I might prefer one of those if Butch will also build me a 12 ga on a .470 frame.

Richard

Posts: 32 | Location: tx & vic | Registered: 09 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Patricio,

Absolutely, hang with us and you are weclome to all the goings on...Great info and knowledge you will find and all answers to your questions,,

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stop by booth 229 if you wanna feel fine!
In for a penny and in for a pound.
Come by and get your new, slightly used or maybe sold a few times before Tuffpak!
Looking forward to being with all you outlaws.
Should I bring the wheelchair for Ray or maybe the pottie chair instead? Wink

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rgp,
Your always welcome, especiall with briskets and Jalapenos, don't even stop by Mims booth until the briskets are delivered, you wouldn't be safe...

Hey Mims, I just won a roping last week, that wheel chair is not for me, except the day after a roping...Mamas sez if your gonna rope, quit whining! I should have married a blond...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I am going to try and make it as well, all depending on how the '06 call-out schedule is for me at work.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I plan on being there, if they don't screw me like last year and make me work that is.

I have a system: I pretend to work and they pretend to pay me!

Posts: 106 | Location: Cuero, TX. | Registered: 15 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I knew I should not have fed you Ray...now you are just like a homeless dog hanging at my back door just because you got that good brisket from BW's Bar B Que that we had delivered...I guess Wendell will be coming by about lunch time too...just to say hello I am sure and with an empty cup full of ice I'd bet Wink.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You did sorta make a town dog out of me, I jsut crawled up on your poarch and snarled and growled at anyone who said "hey, what are you eating"...I suppose you will repeat that again this year?, Yes, I know, I am jumping up and down and wagging my tail, but damn that was good Q............ beer and now I know about the cup of ice, and I didn't get any spirits you rat holer!!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All right, it's on. i will be in Mexico that week hunting so I might not make it up there untill saturday, but if I can move my hunting trip up a couple of days I will be there friday.

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
How many are coming to the Houston convention? Ray will you be there, or do I need to go to Dallas? Just curious as to which show gets the most vendor action. Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Lee,

As for the size of the two shows, DSC is the better show. I went to both last year, HSC was maybe one third the size of DSC. HSC will have the some of the same venders that were in D. There were very few that were in Houston only.

Hog Killer

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
HK, thanks for the info. I got off the phone with Ray a little bit ago, trying to firm up some dates. It is looking like around this time next year, I'll be in the Selous on a Buffalo hunt! I'm fondling the Lott and the 416Rem, trying to see which one wants to go. It's a terrible affliction! Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I might as well come down too. The students will be as bored with me as I am with them. Uh, since this is Ray's birthday, is formal attire required? A cummerbund with our jeans? bewildered
Just made my reservations at the Marriote Suites-Market Hotel. Two doubles or a King, what WILL I do, being single and all? Roll Eyes

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote