Usangu Safaris Tanzania?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
Anyone hunted with them?

Bad good?

They have nicely priced buff hunts.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The little I know of them, first-hand, was most positive. About a year so back, I posted here about a fellow I know, who booked a 21 day safari and then suffered a detached retina, a week or so prior to scheduled departure. With little or no fanfare, his money was refunded, accompanied by their best wishes for a full recovery. I don't think this happens very often.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello D99, I hunted with them last year. Everything was as promised. The Buffalo in the Usangu concession usually come out from the National Park so you may not see Buffalo for 2 days but the 3rd day you may run into a group of 200.

I did not get a huge buffalo but I tracked mine for 8 hours on foot and decided to take him because it would be a reminder of the effort put into the tracking.

Look under my name in African hunting report section and you can see the photographs.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
They were kind enough to put on a program for our SCI Chapter after one of our members hunted with them. I believe four additional parties went since, and what I have heard is positive.

They also are the current owners of TAWICO, I give them a point for resurecting that name.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich!

Pretty strong words. What have you to back up that comdenation?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich,

Why don't you keep it open so that every one can know the truth.

Hamdeni

quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
You can contact me off-line (PM) if you really want to know.

Posts: 1846 | Location: uae | Registered: 30 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tz is a small country........

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted Hide Post
Vipi kaka mambo ni kuchomeana nguru.

Hamdeni
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
Tz is a small country........

Posts: 1846 | Location: uae | Registered: 30 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with them not long ago and had a first-rate, world class hunt. They have 7 main camps in 6 differnt concessions scattered around TZ. Obviously, much depends on who your PH is.
I have heard recently that a split may be forthcoming in the Mulla family, dividing Usangu and TAWICO interests.Always research your concessions and PH's.

Posts: 155 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich:

"T" may be a small country but you obviously felt it was OK to publicly make that accusation without any accompanying proof or evidence. Now you want to take it offline?

I think you should either substantiate your allegation or withdraw it. AR has had enough threads lately with accusations that were made in error, whether in good faith or otherwise.

What is your proof? You made the comment publicly on the forum now please provide your evidence publicly on this forum.

Thank you.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCG:
Bwanamich:

"T" may be a small country but you obviously felt it was OK to publicly make that accusation without any accompanying proof or evidence. Now you want to take it offline?

I think you should either substantiate your allegation or withdraw it. AR has had enough threads lately with accusations that were made in error, whether in good faith or otherwise.

What is your proof? You made the comment publicly on the forum now please provide your evidence publicly on this forum.

Thank you.

RCG

Why not just ask him by PM if you need to know. Then judge for yourself.

Hopefully AR can stay a source of "good" information, positive or negative without all the whistleblowers getting jumped on.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NitroX:

I agree that AR should remain a good source of information, positive or negative, but I can't agree that Bwanamich's comments qualify as "whistleblower" status. He made a very negative statement without substantiating the accusation and then would not elaborate when asked for details.

Why should we have to PM him for details when he made a public accusation? I agree that "whistleblowers" should not be crucified for contributing information but they should be questioned when allegations are made without providing background information.

I only raise this point as Bwanamich made these comments on a public forum. IIRC doesn't Bwanamich have a connection or relationship to the safari industry in TZ? Kilombero or Miombo Safaris? Perhaps his comments are due to another agenda. We have certainly seen this before on AR.

I only ask for public answers to a public statement. If he wanted to keep it off line and claim privacy issues, he could have PM'd "D99" with his comments instead of posting them on the public thread.

Regards,

RCG

PS. NitroX, is this so different from the "SHeepHunter" thread where you have made interesting comments?

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gotta agree - if you want it kept secret, don't post it in public. That seems as simple as the water bottle thread (i.e., if you don't want to share a water bottle on safari, take your own).

Conversely, if you post it in public, it's only fair to expect inquiries for further information.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well,

I can't comment as to the "poor ethics" allegation that's been made as I have no knowledge of any unethical hunting on the part of Usangu.

I am involved with a booking agency who books for Usangu. We've had good service and we've had good experiences with Usangu overall.

So Mich if it's that important to you maybe you should spit it out.

Is this an isolated incident? Is this a practice? That was a pretty vague yet damning statement you made.

one of us
posted Hide Post
RCG,

I have taken your advice and deleted my previous post. Wink

For your info, i do not work/represent Kilombero or Miombo safaris. I know Michel Mantheakis and Scott Coles pretty well as back in the mid to late 90's i freelanced for them - but have since moved on.

I always try to be as subjective and as neutral as possible and will only make comments on that which I have knowledge about. Cool And that includes stating that Miombo safaris and kilombero safaris run a great operation.

Good hunting!

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I PMed him as he suggested and up til now no answer.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw you Pm before this post. I have replied to your PM but I am afraid your PM did not specify you wanted info on the outfitters.....so none were given Wink