New
Find
Notify
Tools

Little of big gun for plains game?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm going on a plains game hunt in S. Africa this spring as a warm up for eventually going after Buffalo. Would people take a small easy to handle gun along and enjoy the experience of hunting in Africa for the first time or take the 416?
I'm not certain of the wisdom of using a big gun for dangerous game that one has not thoroughly tried out in the field.
Paul

Posts: 77 | Location: Pulaski, WI | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't really know if there is a need to warm up for future safaris, I don't see any reason that if a person wanted to hunt buffalo on their first safari, they shouldn't. I would go ahead and book a buffalo hunt and take the 416, then you could just be warming up for your next buffalo hunt with the 416. You should be able to find a buffalo hunt for just a little bit more than the plains game hunt but not in RSA.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The third animal I took in Africa was a Cape buffalo, on my first day of hunting there! The first animal was a 26" Hippo, # 2, an Impala, and the Buff, on day one! All were taken with a 375 H&H FN Mauser. I only took six animals on that first hunt, but they were all animals I wanted before going. The other three were a wart hog, and wildebeast, and zebra.

That was to be the one hunt I'd take to Africa.........YEH RIGHT!

Africa is not a place you can go to only once, but even though I didn't go only once, I've taken a cape Buffalo every time I've been to Africa, because, each time, I may never get to go back, and I want the most bang for my buck, every time. Wink

My thinking was if I have to dump a couple thousand dollars on airfare, I want the Buff the first time out, because I may never get back, because one never knows what the future holds. beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I am going to fall in line here. Hunt the Buff, no warm up required. clap

My first African hunt was in the Selous. Took a buff on day one. By the 4th day we took Wildebeest, Impala, Hartebeast, and Zebra. We then hunted Buffalo for the rest of the hunt.

Second hunt in Africa was to SA for plains game. It was a great hunt, but.....

I will be returning to Tanzania in October 2007 just to hunt buffalo. My plan is to look for a great trophy with hard bosses. If time permits, I will take a Wart Hog.

Mac, your words "smelled the smoke of Africa" says it all.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ppod,

You've been given some good advise. There is no reason to not hunt buffalo on your first safari. Actually a short buffalo hunt in the long run may not be a heck of a lot more expensive than a really nice plains game safari. In that case you have no reason to not use your 416. If you'd like to know what is out there and how much contact me anytime. Buffalo and plains game was my first safari and I'm really glad I stepped up. It give you a perspective on safari you just don't get from a plains game ranch hunt.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Paul definately do a buf... You will never look back....

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I'll second retreever on that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First, I apologise for using "of" instead of "or" in the question. It's just my lysdexia kicking in.

Granted, one can hunt Buffalo as a first game animal in Africa. Is this the best idea? Buff are widely considered "dangerous" game. Is there a role for caution here. Should I try the waters first with a PH and with a big gun before tempting fate?
Paul

Posts: 77 | Location: Pulaski, WI | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just go on the buff hunt and forget the warmup.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Hut the Buff and keep the plains game to fill in the extra days on all the other Big game hunts to come. Wink
Hunt with what caliber you like, from 9.3x62 or larger for all the game that comes up up.
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Skip the plains game only and book a hunt with buffalo as your primary quarry but with plains game available.

If you feel you need to warm up, hunt a couple of plains game the first few days, then move onto buffalo.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
If you're already booked for PG in RSA, don't risk your deposit.

If you aren't or can get the deposit back somehow, then I'm with all the others who are suggesting that buff be on the menu the first time out. Add elephant, lion and leopard, too, if funds permit. Tomorrow is promised to no man!

But, if you are booked solid for PG in RSA, then by all means, take the .416. Use 350 grain bullets. That will do the job and give you all the confidence you will ever need.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13617 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr. Tim Burkhart
posted Hide Post
My first hunt in Africa was for buffalo in Zimbabwe and it took me 10 days to shoot mine. I hunted with a 416 Remington Magnum Blaser R-93. The amazing thing about it is, I shot all kinds of plainsgame in those 10 days from impala to eland and It never bothered me shooting the 416. I had brought another rifle for plainsgame but since I kept hunting for buffalo I just kept going with the 416.

This year I went back again and took my 30.06 Blaser for leopard and plainsgame. I felt very under-gunned. I won't go that light again. Not with all the elephants, lions and buff around!

Dr. Tim Burkhart

Posts: 166 | Location: Caledonia, Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The good advice you've seen here is right on: go for buffalo and take plains game as part of that hunt. Just read up a little so you know where to hit them and have some idea of what to expect, but remember, reading the right books can only inform your experience in the field.

My very first hunt for four-legged critters was in Zambia. The first animal brought to bag was a 45-inch sable. The second, a day later, was a 40-inch Cape Buffalo taken with some drama. I used a borrowed, right-handed bolt action, an iron-sighted CZ in .375 H&H for both.

I've been big game hunting in Africa ever since...

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first animal that I took with a centerfire rifle, indeed the first that I took that didn't have feathers on it, was a Buffalo in Botswana.
Don't worry about the warm up, go for Buffalo.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
My first trip was to RSA for PG. While I certainly don't regret it, going for buffalo & PG is really the way to go. There really isn't a down side to PG only hunt, it's often cheaper, you'll shoot more & there is no going to Africa only once, so you'll be back. beer
If you do decide on PG only, two rifles are nice to have just incase. Nothing wrong w/ smacking your Kudu w/ a .416rigby. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All you guys still able to shoot the big bores hurt me deeply, arthritis killed my big gun shooting, but I am going back to the RSA in May to "finish off" my plains game collection with a .30-06. By all means, hunt as large as you dare, and don't worry about a warm up hunt. The only warming up really needed is tons of rifle practice here at home to hedge your bets on the one critical shot.

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Sierra, I'll bet that you can handle a .375H&H in a heavy enough rifle, say 10 1/2#, Ruger RSM maybe? Good luck on your upcoming hunt. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote