Find
Notify
Tools

.500 on buffalo
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted
Has any member of this forum shot a Cape Buffalo with a 600 gr bullet from a 500 Jeffery, A-square, 505 Gibbs or 510 wells?

If so, would you consider that appreciably projectile any more effective than a 500gr 458 in a Lott or Ackley configuration?

Both projectiles (458 and 510) I'm interested in would be of quality construction and of expanding type.
(Barnes X, HT, Swift)

I'm just trying to figure out whether it is worth the added recoil and probably rifle weight to built a .50 for use in Africa.

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 505 Gibbs, 500 Jefferys are awsome on Buffalo with Woodleigh solids and softs..I have used and seen them used..there is a difference..almost to the point of overkill but don't expect them to just drop...That only happens when the spine is nicked by something..IMHO.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
The performance of my .450 Rigby (500 gr. Hornady @ 2280 with a relatively light load: 105 gr. IMR 4350) was so impressive that I can't imagine needing anything else. The energy level is the same as that of the .500 NE and near that of the Gibbs. Admittedly I did "nick" the spine and the buff sat down and fell over. My partner nailed his in the boiler room and his buff went down but got back up again . . . with difficulty. So in a 10.25 lb. rifle that's about as much recoil as I want and it definitely kills with authority.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Norbert>
posted
I had some one shot kills on elephant with .458 Ackley and .500 Jeffery. No difference in "killing power", but sometimes the .458 shows better penetration. All were head shots.

------------------