New
Find
Notify
Tools

Male lions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I saw an outdoor show a while back that was about lions.
There were two males that were the head of a pride.
5 other adult males came along and waited until
nightfall then came in and attacked. They killed
one of the males and really chewed up the other one.
The question is this highly unusual to see this
many males together? Now that they have taken over
the pride will they now sort out who is going to
be the head and the rest move on?

Posts: 141 | Location: Upstate, New York | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a Nature Channel wannabe also, but they will most likely kill any cubs present to put the lioness' in heat ASAP to begin their own offspring. As to who or which of the gang will be dominant, they have a way of working that out real quick.

Did see a show recently where 3 males went from pride to pride and did their thing over a period of time, abandoning the current pride to travel to another territory, but this was considered abnormal behavior.

Nature has a way of working things out...

Posts: 180 | Location: Mt. Vernon,Ohio, USA | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I saw a nature show years ago where they talked about that it was more the norm now in certain areas in africa where two brothers would displace the dominant male of a pride and share the females between them. They also showed a couple of cases where three brothers would do that also. The naturalist on the show thought that it was an adaption to allow the family genes to be passed on.

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
I think we saw the same show but I thought they killed all the cubs..

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
In the one I saw they also killed all of the cubs to force the females to come into heat.

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

In the one I saw they also killed all of the cubs to force the females to come into heat.

Speaking of heat, who's the girl bouncing in your
sig?

Male lions like to fight, even if they loose. Cycle was about every other month, for an owner of two, giant, male lions, who kept attacking, and getting the shit kicked out of themselves, by about 6, gigantic, siberian tigers.

As Randy White said to me in a bar, in Hawaii,

"The most important thing to do in life is pick the right opponent."

s

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote